What's new

USB Booting is a pain.

bcrew1375

Has anyone ever had a problem booting their computer and tried everything imaginable only to find out it was trying to boot from a USB device? I couldn't get mine to start, so I took out all my cards, reset the CMOS settings, unplugged all the electrical stuff. Still couldn't get it to boot. I'd forgotten that newer BIOS's allow booting from USB devices. So, I unplugged all the USB devices and it started fine. I forgot to turn off the "Boot from other device" option. Has anyone else ever went through this :p?

TerraPhantm

I had a similar problem, but I was using my boot menu before I figured out that my USB drive was screwing up my boot settings.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
bcrew1375 said:
Has anyone ever had a problem booting their computer and tried everything imaginable only to find out it was trying to boot from a USB device? I couldn't get mine to start, so I took out all my cards, reset the CMOS settings, unplugged all the electrical stuff. Still couldn't get it to boot. I'd forgotten that newer BIOS's allow booting from USB devices. So, I unplugged all the USB devices and it started fine. I forgot to turn off the "Boot from other device" option. Has anyone else ever went through this :p?
Um... nope. :unsure:
I have never heard of a BIOS that boots from USB devices before anything else. Never booted from such a device either, so I don't know anything about it... :plain:

BoggyB

A lot of recent computers can boot from USB - I believe my one (~5 years old) can do so. You've just run into the modern version of a unbootable floppy left in the drive. I'm suprised that it was in the default boot sequence though.