What's new

Upgrading, Exporting and Stuff

Talas

Son of the Sky
Hey everyone,

I want to upgrade my 80 GB Harddisk to a 200 GB Harddisk. Now, I would love to keep all my settings, emails, adresses, bookmarks and extensions from Firefox and Thunderbird. I tried to copy everything to the new HD and just install a new version into the "old" folder. Didnt work, everything was gone. Now, I still have abackup, but how do I get the data into the new installations? Where are those emails for example? Any ideas? How do I do the same with Trillian? Thx in advance. Are there any config files I can just copy?

Talas

Eagle

aka Alshain
Talas said:
Hey everyone,

I want to upgrade my 80 GB Harddisk to a 200 GB Harddisk. Now, I would love to keep all my settings, emails, adresses, bookmarks and extensions from Firefox and Thunderbird. I tried to copy everything to the new HD and just install a new version into the "old" folder. Didnt work, everything was gone. Now, I still have abackup, but how do I get the data into the new installations? Where are those emails for example? Any ideas? How do I do the same with Trillian? Thx in advance. Are there any config files I can just copy?

Talas

Look in

"{Drive}:\Documents and Settings\{User Name}\Application Data\Thunderbird"

and

"{Drive}:\Documents and Settings\{User Name}\Application Data\Mozilla"

These are hidden folders. Trillian is just th users folder in the trillian folder. No secret there.

OP
Talas

Talas

Son of the Sky
Hm... thanks for the quick answer, but I have a problem now. I copied the folders to my new installations, but now, whenever I start Thunderbird or Firefox I can use the Apps. They are running, but I cant click on anything, as if there was some compatibility problem. Any idea what I have to do?

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
hm, were you using the same versions of FF/TB on the old and new hard drives? also extensions can cause problems whenever upgrading firefox.

may i suggest only copying over the relevant parts of the folder, instead of the whole thing? eg.:

Bookmarks:
\Documents and Settings\{user name}\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\{profile name}\bookmarks.html

Cookies:
\Documents and Settings\{user name}\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\{profile name}\cookies.txt

Mail:
\Documents and Settings\{user name}\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\{profile name}\Mail

Address Book:
\Documents and Settings\{user name}\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\{profile name}\abook.mab

This is how some other people have done it:
http://www.hebig.org/blogs/archives/main/001019.php
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=536818

OP
Talas

Talas

Son of the Sky
YEAH! That worked, copying only some folders and not all of them. But for the Mails in Thunderbird to be imported correctly I also had to copy the prefs.js file. Thx people.