What's new

Updating Vista Home P. x32 to Vista Ultimate x64 without dvd-rom

talker

Hi,

I got a huge problem. I recently got a laptop from Packerbell without any DVD-Player, not even a cd-player and the laptop was set-up with Windows Vista Home P. x32 + the bullshit from packerbell, that I don't want. All I want to is to upgrade to my Ultimate x64 copy that I own. Yes, the laptop does have a dual-core CPU.

So my big question is, how do I install a fresh copy of my Vista Ultimate x64?
I have all-ready made an ".ISO" of my copy, and transferd over to the laptop throu network, but I read somewhere that I had to set up a new partision at the HDD. How do I do that?
Have any of you at this forum been into something similar and want to help me out?

Thank you,
From someone in the cold, freezing land of Norway =P

ThomasH

Just thought id ask to start with what CPU exactly does it have and is it a X86-64 compatible CPU? I know silly think to ask but just thought I should. Easiest way amusing you have bootable USB ports would be just to use a external DVD drive. Or you can potentially copy the files over to a USB bootable memory stick though I have never tried that on vista.

OP
talker

talker

Just thought id ask to start with what CPU exactly does it have and is it a X86-64 compatible CPU? I know silly think to ask but just thought I should. Easiest way amusing you have bootable USB ports would be just to use a external DVD drive. Or you can potentially copy the files over to a USB bootable memory stick though I have never tried that on vista.

I know that the CPU is compatible with x64. I don't want to waste any money at a external DVD-Drive, and I don't have any USB-pens over 4 GB (Vista DVD takes about 4 GB) =/

twiztidgamer

why would you buy a computer with out a dvd drive?... LMAO!!

let this be a lesson learned eh?... if i where you i would be looking for the receipt !! maybe u can still return it! :D

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
I know exactly what you can do. Extract the .ISO to it´s own folder, for example C:/Windows Vista Ultimate x64. Then start setup.exe (It SHOULD work), choose language, partition and the lot. If you want to make another partition, use something like partition manager. You should be able to install the entire thing directly from the HDD. I KNOW that this should work, because i had to do it myself, due to the installation messing up...

Btw, i have to be honest here...What the f*ck?? No CD/DVD drive whatsoever? Doesn´t make sense...I bought a cheap ass laptop, REALLY bad, single core, integrated Intel graphics and worse. And it has DVD-RW. Wow. Really blows my mind.

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
Extract the .ISO to it´s own folder, for example C:/Windows Vista Ultimate x64.
Alternatively, you could use something like Daemon Tools to mount the ISO to a drive letter, removing the need to copy its contents to a new folder. (Assuming that method of running the setup from within Windows will work.)

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
Yeah of course, what you said:p Sometimes Daemon has been glitchy on me, so i just extracted the files. It´s (almost) bulletproof.