What's new

Unlocking locked Pipeline units

BlueFalcon7

IF this is an illegal question, Im sorry. Anyways, I have a 7900GS, and I know that it has only 20 Pixel pipelines. I also know that a 7900GT has 24 Pixel pipelines. I read somewhere that you can unlock the 4 locked Pixel pipelines. Heres what Im wondering;

Is it possible without hardmodding?
Will it void my warranty?
Is it possible with an XFX card?
will it make my card more likely to overheat?

Also, another thing that I would like to point out, normally 7900's are 450 MHz, and mine is factory OC'd to 525 MHz, will that compensate for not having as many pixel pipelines?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Though I'm not an expert, I think I can answer your questions to a degree.

2: If done via hardmodding (screwing with the hardware), then yes, it would likely do that.
4: Probably, but I don't think it would be too much of a problem.
5: Yes and no. It means the card can process graphics faster but it can't process as many pixels at the same time. It has different effects on different games. Sometimes it can achieve same speed or more than a lower clocked card with more pipelines and sometimes not.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Well it depends, I don't know how to explain it to you. More pipelines means it does more work for every cycle. For example my old 6600 was factory clocked at 400 Mhz but had only 8 pixel pipelines. My new 7600GS is factory clocked at 400 Mhz, but its a lot faster because it has 12 pixel pipelines. I recommend you to go to Guru3D for a better explanation, guides, and resources. There you will find a tool called Rivatuner that will help you to unlock your pipeline, but you better know what you are doing, since doing that is dangerous and you will loss you warranty

OP
BlueFalcon7

BlueFalcon7

I know what Pixel pipelines are (sorta) but I was using RivaTuner to try to do VGA bios hacks. Now as you can see, my computer sais that its a GT, but look below it, and you will notice that there are only 20 pixel pipelines, and 7 vertex pipelines. Now, I checked on the 4 locked pixel pipelines, and the locked vertex pipeline, but it still sais disabled. I did set the VGA BOIS settings to custom, so the custom settings do match the pipeline configuration of a GT. So pretty much, Im asking

1. Are they actually enabled?
2. Can I enable them if they arent already?
3. May I ask how?

gokuss4

Meh...
IF this is an illegal question, Im sorry. Anyways, I have a 7900GS, and I know that it has only 20 Pixel pipelines. I also know that a 7900GT has 24 Pixel pipelines. I read somewhere that you can unlock the 4 locked Pixel pipelines. Heres what Im wondering;

Is it possible without hardmodding?
Will it void my warranty?
Is it possible with an XFX card?
will it make my card more likely to overheat?

Also, another thing that I would like to point out, normally 7900's are 450 MHz, and mine is factory OC'd to 525 MHz, will that compensate for not having as many pixel pipelines?

1. Depends if it's locked via hardware, or via bios. Like my card is a VIVO ATI x850 pro. I tried unlocking them by flashing an ATI x850 XT bios. It didn't work even though mine had the VIVO plug (the only types of ATI cards that could do it). I found out later that I can't softmod my card at all because it's actually hardlocked (certain offsets or whatever found through some hardware info programs). As far as your card though, I don't know. I'd look up info. Try techPowerUp! - The latest in hardware and gaming for more info.

2. I think it will if you hardmod it, and even softmod it.

3. Go to the link I provided, I'm not sure.

4. Yes, because usually the next card in line has a higher clock speed. You can always softmod your bios with a 7900GTX, then through overclocking programs put the clock speeds back to GT level.

smcd

I've got an evga 7900gs now and liking it so far - if you can find info on getting an additional 4 pipelines working can you keep us updated? :)

OP
BlueFalcon7

BlueFalcon7

well there is RivaTuner which is what Im using to modify my VGA BIOS. The thing I found out, is that one uses a G71 core, and the other uses a G70. I dont know how many pixel pipelines a G70 has, but I do know that guys like XFX and BFG tech like to use a G71 because it has a smaller transistor architecture, and it makes it better for overclocking, if you look at the stock cooler, its not very good. The reason Nvidia doesnt make a single chip for a GS and a GT is because it costs more money fabricating a different type of chip. Its cheaper to go with the more powerful one, and lock features. It also produces less heat on the weaker models, though the XFX stock cooler for the 7900 GT is the same as the stock cooler for the 7900 GS.

TerraPhantm

IIRC, both the G70 and G71 cores are unmoddable. The pipes are laser cut at the die level. A few engineering samples were moddable, but everything available to the consumer market is locked.

smcd

Well I tried making my extra pp and vp enabled but it did no good... TerraPhantm's post might suggest why. Ah well, I'm still satisfied by the cards performance none the less :)