What's new

too hot for a proccesor?

Burnpro

Supar ***
i just got my new p4 2.8 (533 fsb) with his original heatsink + fan and everything was hella fast (i upgraded from athlon xp 1800+) then i installed the hardware monitor thing to see how hot this proccesor was..
normally just with winamp open it never go less than 64 C and with everything open and 3d games such as unreal 2003 + wc3 RoC it goes up to 75-77 C.. just wondering if this is normal or i need a better cooling solution..

O_O. I would think You need better cooling. Temps that high could kill your proc/mobo/everything..maybe... My duron stays around 30c in PJ64 or Halo.

Remote

I don't have any Intel P4 experince but 75 degress celsius seems like a lot, so a better cooling solution should be in order.

Lex

it is to high that's for sure, it could be that your temp. sensor is just wrong.

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
I have a 2.66 P4 and according to Intell's site, 75C is average. I'm running at around 54C right now. I wouldn't worry but that's just me. Your CPU shouldn't overheat with it's stock heatsink unless you're overclocking.

OP
Burnpro

Burnpro

Supar ***
my old 1800+ peak was 62-65 C but normally around 58C.
i`m running on DDR400 maybe thats why is so hot?
i hope 75C is average.. i can`t think of a good cooling here in dominican republic..

Lex

ddr400 won't make your proc. hotter, only your chipset. unless you own a athlon 64 :p

dcook32p

Too Hot!

Burnpro said:
it goes up to 75-77 C.. just wondering if this is normal or i need a better cooling solution..

You definitely need a better cooling solution. Rather that try to apply a new heatsink and fan, try ventilating your case more. You can search Google for a lot of overclocking enthusiast sites that give plenty of information on this.

According to Intel's Pentium 4 Processor Datasheet located <a href="http://developer.intel.com/design/pentium4/datashts/298643.htm">here</a> [intel.com] the maximum operating temperature for your processor is 75° C.

jollyrancher

Before you go replacing the entire heatsink/fan you might want to get some of that thermal paste and make sure the cpu is contacting the heatsink properly... a few millimeters off and the CPU can overheat because the heat isn't dissipating correctly.

OP
Burnpro

Burnpro

Supar ***
jollyrancher is right..
i think i forgot to use the thermal paste :D
thanks all for ur feedback!!

OP
Burnpro

Burnpro

Supar ***
nah still hot.. 85C is average when running 3d games..

anyone know of a site i want to see if my heatsink is the original .. it comes with a base of copper but dunno if it is for a 2.4b processor..

i mentioned 77C previously and that was with the left side of the case open.. with my case closed it goes up to 85C now..

Last edited:

joel_029

Lead Guitarist
You can find the heat in the PC Health section of your CMOS settings. Or there are programs you can download to view fan speeds and temp.

dcook32p

Too hot!

Burnpro said:
i mentioned 77C previously and that was with the left side of the case open.. with my case closed it goes up to 85C now..

As I mentioned in my previous post:

dcook32p said:
You definitely need a better cooling solution. Rather that try to apply a new heatsink and fan, try ventilating your case more. You can search Google for a lot of overclocking enthusiast sites that give plenty of information on this.

Your case needs better ventilation. A simple intake / exhaust system should get your processor down to 65° C.

Make sure that when you applied the thermal paste that you applied a very thin layer - just enough to cover the surface. Excessive paste can reduce the effectiveness of a heatsink in the same way that no paste can.

Does your computer seem unstable when your processor is above 75° C? I ask because it is possible that you have a malfunctioning thermistor.

OP
Burnpro

Burnpro

Supar ***
is not unstable... the only thing i noticed is reduced perfomance.. but my case is really hot and everything else is getting hot.. vid card/hdd/ram..

OP
Burnpro

Burnpro

Supar ***
i have now a case fan inside the case + i used another thermal grease and now my peak temp is around 74C with my case closed..
i