What's new

Time to expand my knowledge. Expert advice welcome.

Turbo Techie

Rei Byakku
Ok now I want to take up an emulation project. But I know absolutely nothing about coding. HOWEVER I do want to learn. Now not only do I want to take up a project but I want to take up a project and basically pick up where it was left off kind of like what DominaTor did with SupraHLE. So where exactly should I start? Considering that the emulator's source code was never released and I'd have to dissect it. So on top of learning programs for programming and coding and learning about the Nintendo 64 and it's emulation I'd also have to learn about how I could possibly dissect this emulator so that I can recode it. I'm open for any information of any kind as long as its not criticism.

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
Start by coding something simpler!!! The original gameboy is a good one! Especially if you know nothing!!!

RPGlover12

go with gb then gbc then gba then after that try nes and snes then go with n64 :)
dont go hard the first time u try codin
just go easy first then harder harder harder then the hardest

OP
Turbo Techie

Turbo Techie

Rei Byakku
Grant and RPGLover12: Yes I know I should start easy. However Corn is a great emulator and deserves a second chance of some sort. Even if it's complicated for me to learn I feel I should still give it a shot since no one else is.

slougi: I know..... -_-

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
Whilst I see your point I really feel with no real knowledge it would take you a long time - Much longer than if you learn't from other sources - In fact an emulator may not be the best thing to write first! It is jut advice! But it is your call of course! What ever you do good luck and persevere!!!!!!

OP
Turbo Techie

Turbo Techie

Rei Byakku
Thank you. If I come across the right information I dont care if it takes me years I could make it a hobby.

karth95

Lord of the Cats
Well, here's the deal... You'd have to learn C. You'd have to be able to program graphics with C. Then you'd have to learn assembly language so you could figure out what instructions corn was giving. Then you could decompile it, hack apart the missing instructions using your knowledge of interface programming and graphics programming. After you managed to get it in a legible form that functioned identically to corn, you'd be able to start a project based on your new source. I'm not talking about learning hello world, here. I'm saying you probably will need to be able to take a part a program crash log, dissect it, and actually know what the problem is from there, rather than just knowing how to code.
--Karth

OP
Turbo Techie

Turbo Techie

Rei Byakku
Thanks Karth you've given me the best information yet. Now I have a footing to start on and I'll work my way up.

Last edited:

icepir8

karth95 said:
Well, here's the deal... You'd have to learn C. You'd have to be able to program graphics with C. Then you'd have to learn assembly language so you could figure out what instructions corn was giving. Then you could decompile it, hack apart the missing instructions using your knowledge of interface programming and graphics programming. After you managed to get it in a legible form that functioned identically to corn, you'd be able to start a project based on your new source. I'm not talking about learning hello world, here. I'm saying you probably will need to be able to take a part a program crash log, dissect it, and actually know what the problem is from there, rather than just knowing how to code.
--Karth
I think that an over simplification of the proccess. Remember he has to do the same with the N64 roms that he is trying to add support for also.

Good Luck. :)

OP
Turbo Techie

Turbo Techie

Rei Byakku
You mean Id have to eventually download every N64 rom available to give compatibility?

Is there a place or a person I could ask for a run down of N64 emulation, the tools I need and how to use them?

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
There`s Zilmar`s emu-book, which you can find it at smiff`s site. I think it`s an api on coding an emulator according to zilmar`s specs. You can start with coding something relatively simple, like a control plugin, and then move on.

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
Just out of intrest do you have Visual Studio??? From the sounds of things you may not have it and it is not cheap!!!