What's new

The "Nintendo DS Greatest Games" Thread

Talas

Son of the Sky
Hi everybody,

since I bought my DS, I have been in enjoying it very much. For now, I am playing

"Dr. Kawashimas Brain Training"
"Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow"
"Pac Pix"
"Advance Wars DS"
"Super Mario DS"

but I am already feeling itchy to buy one or two games. I am thinking about "New Super Mario Bros.", "Super Mario Kart DS" or "Trauma Clinic". I would like to hear some advice from you guys. Are these games any good? What else can you recommend? I am looking especially (of course) for games that make extensive use of the touch screen, since that little thingie gave me back the fun in gaming and makes me wait for Nintendos next innovation, the Wii.

:bouncy:

WhiteX

My personal best...

Rockman ZX
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Tony Hawk´s American Sk8land
Mario Kart
New Super Mario Bros.
Nanostray
Meteos

Well, New Super Mario Bros. can be finished on a weekend rental, for trauma clinic, i guess it is Trauma Center: Under the knife, if you are into adventure games, Phoenix Wright is better and Mario Kart DS is fun the best racing game the DS has to offer.

EDIT: there are some reviews with pics here...
http://www.emutalk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=65
They can be useful to you.

Last edited:

Lord Darkstorm

Great sage, equal of heaven
Phoenix Wright : Ace Attorney.

It's a superb graphic adventure, where you search for clues and then cross examine people in court. Think Perry Mason, anime style. It's hilarious, and although it was originaly released for the gba in japan, the ds version has a very good touch screen control system, allows you to use the inbuilt microphone to shout things like "objection!", and has a bonus level/case made with the DS in mind, which is longer then any of the original cases, highly enjoyable, and makes very good use of the touch screen. I simply cannot reccomend it enough.

All the games you mentioned are very good, trauma centre is very difficult, but very enjoyable, and makes great use of the stylus. New Super Mario Bros is a superb mario game albeit slightly short. Mario Kart DS is almost as good as the SNES version(which is high praise for me ;) ). If you are an RPG fan, I'd also recommend Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, which makes excellent use of th dual screens, and is quite humourous.

OP
Talas

Talas

Son of the Sky
Cool, sounds very interesting. For now my list is like this:

Nanostray
Mario Kart DS
Trauma Centre
Nanostray

Sheesh, I really love the DS. Any more things. Is there any Fantasy RPG out for the DS which is good?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I personally vote against new mario bros and metroid. Very hyped, but very poor. New mario is nothing compared to games like mario bros 3 and super mario world. I've also always found castlevania games to be very entertaining.

OP
Talas

Talas

Son of the Sky
WhiteX said:
Why Nanostray twice?

There is Lost magic but it is more like an RTS with RPG crossover.

Because I mistyped. :sombrero: Wanted to write Nanostray once and Phoenix Wright after that. Is it possible that Phoenix is not yet released for the european market? Cant find it on amazon.de.

revl8er

That Damn Good
Definately get mario kart ds, its an excellent game. I have been playing it ever since i got my ds and it is probably the best game I got. I am also playing resident evil ds and I would recommend it because of how it changes stuff with the new mode.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
I'm waiting for someone to recommend Metroid Prime: Hunters, so I'll be the first to say this: don't buy it.

It's a poor excuse for a Metroid game with practically non-existant single player mode (consists of "travelling" between 4 planets collecting things and killing other hunters). Very, very linear and not Metroid at all.. I almost made another hole in my wall when I got the damn game because of this. Even the touted multiplayer mode is limited and should not have overshadowed the one thing that keeps my playing Metroid, single player.. NST really fucked up with this one; I have a feeling it would be different if Retro (the only American developer I would trust with such a godlike franchise) developed it.

As much as I hate to say this of a Metroid game... just don't buy it.

On a good note, keep an eye out for Final Fantasy III remake for DS; it's turning out beautifully. :)

Last edited:

Lord Darkstorm

Talas said:
Because I mistyped. :sombrero: Wanted to write Nanostray once and Phoenix Wright after that. Is it possible that Phoenix is not yet released for the european market? Cant find it on amazon.de.

The european release was in march, or at least that's when it came out in the UK. It's normally the same for all european countries...check german video game sites for reviews.

cooliscool said:
On a good note, keep an eye out for Final Fantasy III remake for DS; it's turning out beautifully. :)

Indeed. Dunno if everyone's seen this, but cast your eyes here:
http://ds.qj.net/Final-Fantasy-III-Gameplay-Video/pg/49/aid/58775

Last edited:
OP
Talas

Talas

Son of the Sky
Lord Darkstorm said:
The european release was in march, or at least that's when it came out in the UK. It's normally the same for all european countries...check german video game sites for reviews.

Indeed. Dunno if everyone's seen this, but cast your eyes here:
http://ds.qj.net/Final-Fantasy-III-Gameplay-Video/pg/49/aid/58775

Yea, its strange, you can buy it on the uk amazon. But not on the german one. Hm... maybe ebay.

As for Metroid, its a real pity that it turned out to be so bad, I heard that from lots of people. Final Fantasy III should also be cool. Ha, thanks Nintendo for a great console. Can anyone tell me whether there are any other games like Nanostray?

Lord Darkstorm

A lot of people liked it, but personally....not so much. The speed is classic sonic, but foe me at least, the game was messed up by too many unpredictable instant death drops. I'm talking about the type that where you are running at full speed, jump, and fall and die. REALLY annoying for me. Definitely no sonic 2/3 & K in my eyes...

OP
Talas

Talas

Son of the Sky
Got my copy of "Trauma Centre" today. Man! What a fantastic game, and even though I have done only two operations and have been unable to get better then Rank "C" I already love the game. More of this Nintendo! :mupen64:

OP
Talas

Talas

Son of the Sky
So, which games are on the "To buy"-List in the future? Any good titles one should look out for? Is there any DS News site thats very good?

Lord Darkstorm

On my "To buy" list are:
Final Fantasy III
Phoenix Wright 2
Project Hacker: Kakusei
Megaman ZX
Starfox Command
Yoshi's Island 2
Hotel Dusk : Room 215
Castlevania : Portrait of Ruin
Magical Vacation 2
Pokemon Diamon/Pearl
New Zealand Story

Site wise, ds.qj.net always has a big fat load of news, although it tends to regurgitate it a bit. And there's always Eurogamer. :D

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Again, New Super Mario Bros. What do you find so FUN in it? It was a crap production. A wannabe game :plain:

bcrew1375

Right now, I have:

Super Mario 64 DS - Not very good, especially the stylus substituting for the analog. It's just a slightly touched-up version of Super Mario 64. Though some of the minigames are mildly entertaining.

WarioWare: Touched - Makes good use of the touchscreen. Fast paced and fun for a while, but microgames get boring after playing them awhile. Has no real story. Wario steals a DS and decides to make money off of it.

Trace Memory - Haven't played it enough to judge it, but so far it's reminding me of old Sierra games with the point-and-click interface(Space Quest, King's Quest), but with a top-down view.

Trauma Center - Very Nice. I don't think this game would've made the cut without the DS. The use of the touchscreen is the best I've seen on the DS thus far. It's difficult, but gives a great feeling of accomplishment when you complete an operation. Have no doubt, some of the operations WILL make your hand shake. Though you don't see most of the patients, some of the few you do will make you want to save them. Some of the anime scenes can be a bit cheesy though. Such as Derek, the main character, sticking out his hand and saying "Let's begin the operation!" and the Healing Touch ability is especially cheesy when you're fighting a certain virus near the end of the game. It is also annoying that their is no voice acting because often times you will need to look at the top screen to read information. The game usually pauses when new information comes up, but not always. This can lead to failed operations pretty easily. Anyway, I think I devoted too much space in my post to this game, but it really a unique game, and I would highly recommend it.