What's new

The Next Generation?

sammyboy

Certified SuperHero
I have many a reason to believe that the next generation of consoles (I mean, Playstation 3, XBox 360, Nintendo Revolution) may be easier to develop emulators for than the current generation.
The only main problem that is currently forseeable is that computers arnt currently powerful enough to play the games (or ROMS) but with the fact that this time around the companys (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo) have got other companys to develop certain technologys for the console. Which means that other companysz already have technology as powerful as the next vgeneration of game consoles, whch will mean probably that they wsill release graphics cards and all that sooner that may even be more powerful than the PS3's, XBox 360's and the Revolution's cards.
Secondly XBox 360 works similar to a computer (just like the original XBox I know), so that should be slightly easier to emulate. The PS3 however Sony payed extra attention to the processor and other parts to make it easier to develop games for. Last time they madce the console how they wanted, then gave a manual around 1700 pages to developers and said make do, this time they made it easier, less complicated, also making it easier for emulators.
What do you think

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
sammyboy said:
I have many a reason to believe that the next generation of consoles (I mean, Playstation 3, XBox 360, Nintendo Revolution) may be easier to develop emulators for than the current generation.
Why do you think that?

The only main problem that is currently forseeable is that computers arnt currently powerful enough to play the games (or ROMS) but with the fact that this time around the companys (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo) have got other companys to develop certain technologys for the console. Which means that other companysz already have technology as powerful as the next vgeneration of game consoles, whch will mean probably that they wsill release graphics cards and all that sooner that may even be more powerful than the PS3's, XBox 360's and the Revolution's cards.
But that really doesn't matter that much. The gamecube had a gfx card that was slightly between the GeForce4 and the FX lines, but still is so powerful. The computers are inferior to consoles. Their hardware is ancient to the consoles.

Secondly XBox 360 works similar to a computer (just like the original XBox I know), so that should be slightly easier to emulate.
How do you know?

The PS3 however Sony payed extra attention to the processor and other parts to make it easier to develop games for. Last time they madce the console how they wanted, then gave a manual around 1700 pages to developers and said make do, this time they made it easier, less complicated, also making it easier for emulators.
What do you think
No, that doesn't really mean it's going to be easier to emulate, just easier to develop for.

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
What about the CPUs, etc. the nextgen consoles have? The XBox 360 has x3 3.2GHz CPUs with 2 hardware threads each. The Revolution might have x4 CPUs 2.5GHz each and the PS3 will have x3 3.2GHz CPUs (I think) as well. Not to mention each of them will have mega-power GPUs more powerful than the GeForce 7800GTX. I mean come on, you honestly think these will be easy to emulate? I don't think so.

ector

Emulator Developer
You can basically forget about ever emulating the next-gen consoles, at least as long as we stick to silicon for our CPU:s.

Look at the tremendous success of things like CXBX, Dolphin, and PSCX2 *cough* ... we can't even emulate this generation properly, the next.. not a chance.

Buy the console/consoles you want and forget about the other/others.

lodoss118

ector don't u have contacts in the chankast team its about time we had some sort of new at least something like if they r still working on it, i still can't belive how icarus got everyones hope up and didn't release anything i know i am sounding selfish but i wish emulation carries on maybe emulating some cool arcades

WhiteX

Pointles discussion, ppl never saw the next gen stuff and you want to emulate it already, geez.

xneoangel

Persona User
This Thread has no sense. No offense here but the emulation of the consoles of this generation i mean Xbox, PS2 and GCN is far and i really mean far from perfection and you are already talking about emulating next gen consoles geez.

Besides you were saying that an X360 was like a computer that would make it even harder.

You see i use this emulator called DosBox it emulates MS-DOS and old sound cards a graphic cards and the developer team suggests 1GHZ CPU to emulate a 486 a CPU that had a 33MHZ Frequency so imagine the effort it would take to emulate 3 x 3.2GHZ CPU's and it would be worse and much more demanding if its like a computer.

Last edited:

Darkfox

That guy that does stuff.
WAAAAAAY too early, I mean, there are those still working on emus for the older consoles and handhelds.

Silly thing to bring up now.

Last edited:

bcrew1375

20 years from now it MAY be possible :p. I'm wondering what happened to CXBX myself. Did it die, or is the author stumper on something, or what? 3x 3.2 GHz? *Drool* If Xbox 360 is mod-able, imagine the emulation capabilities :D.

Saten

Forget about emulating next gen consoles right now. I don't know that much about XBox360 but PS3 will use BD-Rom (Blu-ray disks). There will be 2 format of BD-Rom: single layer witch will hold 25GB of data and double layer will hold 50GB. Imagine yourself downloading an ISO that is 50GB... So all of you who wanted to download next gen games, get a job and buy them! If you don't believe me about the new CD format click here.

blanky64

Lives in VB6
Ha! Although the CPUs will be faster (or at least weirder) than our x86-based ones, it all depends on the CPU instruction set range.

The x86 instruction set is full of bizarre and wonderful instructions that make stuff faster, as you can sometimes find a single CPU instruction that does two things in one. Because of this, the CPU can apply some odd (but optimized) arithmetic that does both of those things in one go.

Afaik, the Cell CPUs are based upon PowerPC cores - Again, afaik, PowerPC uses a RISC (Reduced InStruction .. Cet) architechture.

(If I'm wrong, then so be it, but I can't believe the emulation scene is going to die just because we need to start concentrating on optimization a bit more :p)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Again, this has already been stated. You are only echoing what has already been written. Next-gen emulation of xbox 360, revolution and ps3 will not be possible for quite some time.