What's new

The new NVIDIA Geforce 8800GT

gokuss4

Meh...
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/29/geforce_8800_gt/

Really fucking good card for its price range. It's around $250 for the normal clocked version. There are overclocked versions for a more expensive price but who needs those when we can OC ourselves? It's faster than the 8800GTS, and takes up less power than both the GTX and GTS thanks to its 65nm core. It also supports PCI Express 2.0

smcd

Now I just need money to upgrade to a new CPU, motherboard, RAM, and then this :p

smcd

I'm shooting for a core 2 duo and some ddr2 ram next time around. i stay a few generations behind because it is cheaper and decent performance

OP
G

gokuss4

Meh...
Which would be a good combination using this card?

If you wanna go cheap, the Gigabyte P35 DS3L which is like $100, then some crucial ballistix ram DDR2 800 which can overclock really freaking well, and an E4500/4600 (also good overclockers). Then just wait for the new intel chips to come out and get one of those. Or get the same RAM, but get a 680i based motherboard, a core 2 duo e6850 or q6600.

blizz

Indeed, I've been looking at dropping one inside the shuttle based system I'm planning.

Last edited:

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Please, we already know that Intel currently has the performance crown. I'm not an Intel fan, my rig has a 3800+

OP
G

gokuss4

Meh...
No, we don't. Have you forgotten about Barcelona?

http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=3099&p=1

Xeon is still faster. Barcelonas still haven't beaten the Conroes. However AMD still has a good performance/watt rate. We'll wait for the Phenom CPU to come out, then we'll see. I'm not an intel fanboy trust me (and I don't like really like fanboyism). I go for whatever's the fastest for my budget at the time.

In the mean time, no Intel vs AMD debates please.

The new upcoming 8800GTS revision based on the G92 architecture is gonna have 128 unified shaders with a faster core, memory and shader clock. The naming NVIDIA has done though can be confusing to the uninformed. If any of you are wondering why the prices are so low it's because smalle die size (65nm rather than 90nm), the less silicon is used therefore less money needed. On that note, I'd like to see how the new Radeon HD 3850/3870 performs when it comes out.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Xeon is still faster. Barcelonas still haven't beaten the Conroes. However AMD still has a good performance/watt rate. We'll wait for the Phenom CPU to come out, then we'll see. I'm not an intel fanboy trust me (and I don't like really like fanboyism). I go for whatever's the fastest for my budget at the time.

Yes, but I'm implying that at this time, performance is close and AMD's processor is more scalable than Intel's, so it's going to be a performance war again. So no, Intel is best or AMD is best ;)

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Phenom is Agena core (desktop version of Barcelona), so it will be the same thing, it will be close, but intel is still leading the way

Toasty

Sony battery
And Intel is getting underway with their 45nm CPUs now, which show pretty high potential clock speeds, and lower power consumption due to new transistor technology they're introducing. THG had an interesting article about them. I like AMD better than Intel as a company, but I must admit, AMD has a decent sized gap to close.