What's new

The Future Of Emulators That Run On Linux

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
We Linux users are finally starting to see a bit of the rub of the green with emulators :D

With desmume.org releases always having windows and linux builds were at least keeping up on the ds front :D

On the n64 emulation side were still a bit behind, but at least Mupen64 isnt dead :D

We have two great psx emulators :) Epsxe and Pcsx.

Nes, snes and other consoles like that are well covered :)

PCSX2 is also doing windows and linux builds now :D

So i have to say im happy that more devs are choosing to include linux in there emulation plans and long may it continue :)

It used to suck that we had barley any emulators and was the only temptation to go back to windows :p

Thank you devs for making that temption null and void :p

(my only contribution to the linux scene so far was improving a chip8 emulator (dreamchip) and releasing it :p

Im involved in a big emulation project now though :) if it goes well it will be a huge linux release :D

Go linux :)

Toasty

Sony battery
Die Windows, die! :p Yeah, with newer, user-friendlier distros like Ubuntu out now, and support from Dell, the main thing really holding Linux back is a lack of software. (I know there is tons of software for Linux that can do just about anything, but there are still many key areas where Linux ports have been sadly neglected.) So, I'm very happy to see previously Windows-only programs ported to *nix and even a few *nix-only programs!

NecroRomancist

ZION you forgot pSX, which recently got a linux port.
Being a non windows user (i use other OSS operating system besides linux) i think it is a good thing Linux is getting so many good emulators, some of which with source which makes them portable to other OS's like the BSD's, Haiku or Syllable.
Being a Linux user (haven't touched Windows in about 4 years) i still have to admit Windows has the edge on some areas :

- System API - you don't develop for GTK, QT, FOX,TK... just for windows. It would be cool if those emu's started using libraries like CEGUI or Guichan.

http://www.cegui.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

- Direct3d has better drivers.. My radeon 9700 is a bit slow on Linux. And most developers like D3D better than opengl.

That said i hope emulators continue to come to Linux :)

OP
Danny

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Says the guy who's biased towards linux. ;)

good point
rofl.gif