The Emo Topic

ShadowDamien

Shadow's Secret Clone
Yeah, the Emo topic. This s the defintion of Emo from Wikipedia:
Wikipedia said:
History

Origins
Main article: Emo (music)
For more than a decade, the term emo was used almost exclusively to describe the genre of music that spawned from the 1980s DC scene and all of the bands inspired by it. However, during the late 1990s, as emo music began to emerge from the underground into popular consciousness, the term began to be used as a reference for more than just the music.

The origin of the word emo itself is unclear. In a 1985 interview by Rites of Spring in Flipside Magazine, members of the band noted that some of their fans in DC were starting to call them "emo", arguably because of the state of emotion that the band displayed during their shows. In later years, the word emo was viewed as a contraction of "emotional hardcore" or "emocore", which was the popular designation of the music genre. (One contingent of the scene insists that emo is a contraction for "emotive hardcore". However, no primary source has been found to confirm use of that term prior to the mid-1990s.)

In recent years, as its use has come to define more than just the music, the word emo has more often been viewed as simply being short for "emotional".

2000s
Bands like Dashboard Confessional began to popularize a more dramatic and personal style of "emo", which contained lyrics that had a far greater appeal amongst teenagers experiencing life and love for the first time. As the lyrical content shifted and as the sound began to enter the mainstream, the term "emo" started to be used more often to describe what was perceived by those outside the scene as the overwrought melodrama of the music. Popular comments such as "don't be so emo" and "cheer up, emo kid" drove home the belief among deriders that fans of emo music took themselves too seriously and were simply looking for drama where it didn't exist.

As major labels began pushing more bands under the "emo" umbrella, varying styles of music and dress began to be lumped in as well. The style of bands like My Chemical Romance, including their use of makeup (particularly black eyeliner) and longish hair covering the face, began to be associated with "emo".

I personally have an Emo friend, or who claims to be emo - dressed in black colored immersed herself in Simple Plan and The Used as well as Slipknot (who is not emo but is darker). This hppened after a tragic point in her life (mom died) and is always depressed.
Personally, I find this both amusing (sadistic, I know) and yet facinating how the personalities and definition of "emo" music and feelings have been interpreted. So the queston is: what is Emo? Just being depressed and in the modern stereotypes of said topic, or just a mindset in life????

So... what do you all think? My two friend differ on the fact that My Chemical Romance desses Emo ut is no emo and that they ARE emo.

Seriously.... what... is... emo???? Begin the conversation... now. No 3-word answers please!!!

riles9262

My dissident is here...
Even though it's been going on for a while, the resurgence of 'emo' just seems like a fad to me. To me, it's just people being over emotional, and trying to express it in ways that will draw attention to that. Depression is completely normal, but over doing it and immersing oneself in it is not healthy. Best to just talk to someone when it's bothering you, and try to think and do other things when it's not.

And besides, the music that expresses it is crap. It's completely uninspired, over produced, and just plain boring. Somebody please bring back tool for these people, at least they had style, played instruments well (what a surprise!) and wrote good music. After they loosen up a little, I recommend a good dose of zeppelin and sabbath :)

OP
ShadowDamien

ShadowDamien

Shadow's Secret Clone
And then shoot them full of Jimi Hendrix you-classic-rock-lover you.

I just see it as an attention grabber, and when they don't get the attention they want, they become even more depressed and "emo"... Strange....

[music] twilight zone music [/music]

2fast4u

dixon called me an emo bastard once ;P

the main problem is that the term emo is associated with so many stereotypes today that its nearly impossible to tell what the fuck it means anymore.

i was at a Bullet For My Valentine show last sunday (which was fucking great btw) and the audience was full of people you would stereotypically call "emo". that doesnt neccesarily mean they are depressed all the time and have dark, introspective personalities, though. emo is a music genre, treat it as that.