What's new

Texteditor for translating n64 games? Possible?

FAR

First Person Shooter
There have been several attempts to translate N64 games. A couple of Russian guys successfully made the Russian version of Zelda OoT and MM, they were working on it for more than a year using Photoshop and god knows what else. Is there a way to make things easier with a simple texteditor as in the case of Xbox games? I know that the two consoles are completely different, but still...
I really would like to translate games and I guess there are some other people, too, who would like to.

Quvack

It really depends upon the game itself, not the system. Sometimes you can just open the files in a hex editor and go edit-happy and it'll have the desired result.

Zelda OoT/MM are easy because the text isnt compressed or anything like that, and its in plain english so its easy to find. Other games the text isnt compressed but its in a different language, or not using standard ASCII so you have to hack around a little bit to figure out the values/locations of characters, in order to be able to locate the script (like I've done with Dobutsu No Mori (Animal Forest), Custom Robo and a few other games).

Basically you cant have a 'simple' editor which will work for all games, as they all vary a lot and have various methods of storing their text, theres a lot of tools out there which can help though, and its not so bad once you've got the basics down, well for a non-compressed style rom anyways.

OP
F

FAR

First Person Shooter
I have expected what you said. It is a great pity.
Hex editor is not the most elegant resolution for me, because the English language in comparison with the Hungarian is really compressed. Usually the translated unit is the double of the English length and the hex editor allows only character limited translating.
Have you translated a couple of games? Was Super Mario 64 among them? Is it compressed?

Quvack

Unfortunatly if the text you want to add isnt the same kinda size as the original you either have to cut it down a little, or hack with pointers and stuff which is just a pain in the ass really.

I havent translated any full games, but I've hacked around with a few of them to get enough knowledge about how they work to be able to if i had any knowledge of Japanese or whatever :p

OP
F

FAR

First Person Shooter
I have tried to translate Zelda in hex but the changes are not saved. What is the problem?

edit: I have used an older version of hex workshop.

Last edited:
OP
F

FAR

First Person Shooter
SubDrag said:
The older version of hex workshop has a problem saving with larger files. Grab a newer one.

Yeah, I tried it. It works but missing special characters that Hungarian uses. I give up :bye3:

Anton

I like beer
Why not try Hexposure?
Fast, comfortable, exellent editor.
It's for DOS, but ypu can use dos-box thing if you're on XP