What's new

SSBM Model Converter? (Includes SSBM findings as well)

Mega Mario DX

I know there were things to do with Super Smash Bros Melee and such, but I was searching through the forums and I didn't find any good Model viewers/converters.

I set out and ripped apart the SSBM ROM, and found some GMD files. Group Model Data, perhaps? Also found a lot of DAT files. I dare say that about 75% of the ROM are DAT files judging from the filelist.

I knew that there was a trophy converter in some thread that I forget, and I'd already got Peach in Cinema 4D as a OBJ file using the converter, but I'm a little stumped. What are the model data stored in? GMD, DAT or some other format?

As a test, I opened the GMD file in BMDView2, and I got no errors from BMDView2 saying "Invaild File Type" or anything. Nothing showed up however. Looks like it's a version of BMD or something.

I was wondering has anyone figured out the SSBM Model format? I'm sure that if there was a source for a converter someone could take it under their wing and converter. I'm no good at programming, however.

Then you'd just need to import it to 3D Game Studio, learn some game coding, and then perhaps Super Smash Bros PC, anyone?

Thanks!

OP
M

Mega Mario DX

Lol intellectual property theft anyone? And I'm sure you do not enjoy lawsuits... :p

Many people credit nintendo and nintendo doesn't mind, it's only if you use it in commerical appilications like if you're going to make and sell a PC Mario Kart.

GaryCXJk

Some people were working on one, but decided against release, because of leechers not crediting their work as reverse engineers.

psychodan

Some people were working on one, but decided against release, because of leechers not crediting their work as reverse engineers.

...Well.. it was actual the general use and corruption of what the "some people" of released game models as well. that and a hatred of people porting models to halflife and acting like idiots on the forums, the frequent "I made this" claims, and the frequent badgering to get it completed :p

Then there was the random people who attempted to ruin it for others... "Techokami" being a name that comes to mind and is probably misspelled.

...but... some of those people simply remained quiet about it. Melee is finished. Brawl is the next frontier.

but as for current ways to go about getting the models from either? rumor has it that someone is working on a BLENDER importer, that's all I know on the subject. Jahra!n posted on a topic here an in-progress converter for Melee. And... certain people have access to Brawl, but they're the "some people" that aren't releasing anything to the public.

I knew that there was a trophy converter in some thread that I forget, and I'd already got Peach in Cinema 4D as a OBJ file using the converter, but I'm a little stumped. What are the model data stored in? GMD, DAT or some other format?

As a test, I opened the GMD file in BMDView2, and I got no errors from BMDView2 saying "Invaild File Type" or anything. Nothing showed up however. Looks like it's a version of BMD or something.

Then you'd just need to import it to 3D Game Studio, learn some game coding, and then perhaps Super Smash Bros PC, anyone?

the files you are looking for are the DAT files. they're archives (like zip or rar or arc or whatever).

PLAYER MODELS with bones and such, what you can play as, are the files that begin with PL. Trophy files, which arent compressed like brawl/meleePL models generally begin with TY. I'm sure the rest is obvious from this point, and I think I'm the only one that ever got stages to load properly...

BMD viewer WILL NOT open Melee filetypes simply because they are totally different. Melee and Brawl use Sysdolphin (like Metroid Prime) and have similar filetypes... but the BMD files? Not a chance in hell. not that Thakis isn't beyond capable of adding SD functionality to BMDview, because he's awesome ;D

Last edited:

GaryCXJk

but as for current ways to go about getting the models from either? rumor has it that someone is working on a BLENDER importer, that's all I know on the subject.

Actually, the Blender importer was just a prototype, he's now working on an actual program.

Mariowario130

well well well, if it isn't mister psychodan. hows it goin?

...Well.. it was actual the general use and corruption of what the "some people" of released game models as well. that and a hatred of people porting models to halflife and acting like idiots on the forums, the frequent "I made this" claims, and the frequent badgering to get it completed :p
I can see where you coming from with this. I too find it a nuisance seeing people porting, claiming, and even making crappy dance videos with these models.
Then there was the random people who attempted to ruin it for others... "Techokami" being a name that comes to mind and is probably misspelled.
I know "Techokami" and he did not deliberately try to ruin it for others.
...but... some of those people simply remained quiet about it. Melee is finished. Brawl is the next frontier.
are you gonna write a a viewer/converter and post updates on a forum leading people to believe you're going to release this? THUS causing people to badger you about it.
GaryCXJk said:
Actually, the Blender importer was just a prototype, he's now working on an actual program.
...I knew your name was familiar from somewhere.

psychodan

well well well, if it isn't mister psychodan. hows it goin?
I can see where you coming from with this. I too find it a nuisance seeing people porting, claiming, and even making crappy dance videos with these models.
are you gonna write a a viewer/converter and post updates on a forum leading people to believe you're going to release this? THUS causing people to badger you about it.

Hi there.. I'm Me. How's it going with you? Some of the dance videos are actually entertaining.. but I've only seen it done with like.. SpiderMan. Hmm.. And I give credit to ANYONE that will port something to poser, Rigging in that program is like trying to rig a 3d model using dental floss.

No. I refuse to post ANY PICTURES (notice the link, or the other link in my first posted response to SmashWorld with this same image and others from SaraHarp) of ANYTHING from SmashBros Brawl.

I believe you are also insinuating that I, at some point, teased with screenshots and suggested that I would in some way release a viewer/converter to the public.

I initially said I was releasing nothing. That was my FIRST reaction. THEN..

I updated my response by saying that when someone makes a functional converter that can do what mine does, I'll release mine to compete with theirs.

At this point, SarahHarp is the only one that has done this, and neither of us have plans to go public.

I did however offer to teach you how to do it, but we all know how that ended... And THAT I fully took back my offer on. I'm not really that good a teacher anyway... Did you ever get the program we sent you running? It'd do the job if you did...

Last edited:

Mariowario130

Nice of you to reply.
I have a strong distaste of poser, and I believe its for people of what the name is.
Even crediting them for it? Last time we talked you had mixed ideas about crediting people about these models. iirc, you said you didn't want this to become that of the spriting community. hmm
No. I refuse to post ANY PICTURES (notice the link, or the other link in my first posted response to SmashWorld with this same image and others from SaraHarp) of ANYTHING from SmashBros Brawl.
uhuh right...
I believe you are also insinuating that I, at some point, teased with screenshots and suggested that I would in some way release a viewer/converter to the public.
Now I wouldn't say that.

though you did say that you wouldn't release it unless someone else released their converter/viewer/exporter despite that jahra!n had already released his.

If I were you, I'd just keep quite about these kind of things. ;]
SarahHarp's name is already cursed upon by a certain few modeling communities.
I did however offer to teach you how to do it, but we all know how that ended... And THAT I fully took back my offer on. I'm not really that good a teacher anyway... Did you ever get the program we sent you running? It'd do the job if you did...
I remember that vividly, and you are definitely right about not being that great of a teacher. You made a perfectly good excuse to get out of that situation with your inability to provide details, and years later you come out and admit that. I admire that
The program you ask? heheh it didn't work with the latest hardware.

psychodan

Nice of you to reply.
I enjoy a good conversation. If I'm linked to something, I generally get involved.

I have a strong distaste of poser
Me as well. I do however appreciate that it's possible SOME people out there actually figured out how to use the thing. by use, I mean create functional 3d Characters to use in it, not re-pose characters already in it. I've messed with many 3d programs over the years, that one isn't even a modeling program.

uhuh right...
Obvious sarcasm on my part. SarahHarp linked me to that thread and I decided to lace it with in-jokes. thus the reason behind adding sonic, MoustacheMarioHatYuna, and Rick Astley.

Were you attempting to re-illustrate my point? or were you going somewhere with this? I'll pull my quotes on the subject from the links you just offered...

"I don't personally plan on releasing an app"
"and I dont plan to release it [at least til someone releases a viewer]"
"When someone does, I'll release this so people can stick them in Max easier."

despite that jahra!n had already released his.
Jahra1n's is incomplete and opens only trophy files. Partially, at best. Pulling from one of the links you just gave, "I've finished my MaxScript. It imports the Players, Trophies, Levels, and a few other things. "

I'll also mention the I'll release to compete statement as well. when someone can do what I can do, I'll match it. would you feel better if I released a Melee importer/converter that did exactly the same things as Jahra!ns and no more? No. it would be a waste of time to remove features from mine to compete with something that is partial.

If I were you, I'd just keep quite about these kind of things. ;] SarahHarp's name is already cursed upon by a certain few modeling communities.

No doubt. People as a general rule are unable to stand the fact that someone is better then them at something, especially when they're unwilling to even bother trying to learn how to do it in the first place.

certain few modeling communities.
I doubt anyone at <b>CG Talk</b> gives two hoots about Melee Exporters. Honestly :D

I'm sure however that there are a lot of people out there who don't really know what to do with the models in the first place who are quite miffed about not having them. However, I've been involved in a few different Fangame projects (including one with Sindii who I believe commented about me in the other thread) and, since they had a clue what was going on, certain materials were shared/offered.

I remember that vividly, and you are definitely right about not being that great of a teacher.

Considering that you couldnt even get past the phase of deciding if you wanted to code in maxscript or Java or c++ or C#. I suggested using Wikipedia or google to find out what those were exactly since my descriptions of them being different programming languages were too complicated, and you decided that was too hard.

I have successfully taught a few people how to use 3DMax and my paint program though... but in those cases, it's really up to the artist to grow beyond teachings.

ou made a perfectly good excuse to get out of that situation with your inability to provide details

which details are you refering to exactly?

The program you ask? heheh it didn't work with the latest hardware.

didnt you say it was an openGL shader problem? If so, then the latest hardware wont do duck without the latest software.

And finally..

you said you didn't want this to become that of the spriting community.

thank you very much for mentioning this. I had intended to append a similar statement to this to my previous message but was having internet problems and unable to. Comparing our fears to the current active state of the sprite community is still a perfect representation.

Last edited:

Mariowario130

you sure like to talk don't you?
I enjoy a good conversation. If I'm linked to something, I generally get involved.
haha
Were you attempting to re-illustrate my point? or were you going somewhere with this? I'll pull my quotes on the subject from the links you just offered...
Now I wouldn't say that.
"I believe you are also insinuating that I, at some point, teased with screenshots and suggested that I would in some way release a viewer/converter to the public." ~ DanWaigand

Jahra1n's is incomplete and opens only trophy files. Partially, at best. Pulling from one of the links you just gave, "I've finished my MaxScript. It imports the Players, Trophies, Levels, and a few other things."

I'll also mention the I'll release to compete statement as well. when someone can do what I can do, I'll match it. would you feel better if I released a Melee importer/converter that did exactly the same things as Jahra!ns and no more? No. it would be a waste of time to remove features from mine to compete with something that is partial.
nice excuse
No doubt. People as a general rule are unable to stand the fact that someone is better then them at something, especially when they're unwilling to even bother trying to learn how to do it in the first place.
its not that they're better than them, its just that people hate being deceived.
I doubt anyone at <b>CG Talk</b> gives two hoots about Melee Exporters. Honestly :D
you're free to assume which communities you think they are.
Considering that you couldnt even get past the phase of deciding if you wanted to code in maxscript or Java or c++ or C#. I suggested using Wikipedia or google to find out what those were exactly since my descriptions of them being different programming languages were too complicated, and you decided that was too hard.
which details are you refering to exactly?
all you did was kept saying I need specific programs and you did not mention what features were needed. those programs have a variety of different features. After I contacted a friend, RII, about what I would need, and actually got it. You exploded like a little 12-year old about it kept saying "no, I'm not helping you anymore." After your fail, I've decided to figure it out on my own.
I have successfully taught a few people how to use 3DMax and my paint program though... but in those cases, it's really up to the artist to grow beyond teachings.
3DSMax is relatively easy program to learn, and anyone can learn a paint program.
didnt you say it was an openGL shader problem? If so, then the latest hardware wont do duck without the latest software.
I didn't say it was anything.

Techokami

I said I was sorry, and fixed the problem. Hell, I don't even distribute those models anymore.
Why are you holding a grudge like this? =/

Tcll

Complexity == Fun >:3
BUMP :blink:

funny...
how did this thread slip my eye... :drool:

does anyone have any documentation or anything on the dat format??
especially Pl****.dat's
and Pl**Aj.dat's

really need help on those.