What's new

Speed Question

Samurai Snack

PJ64 Cheat Master
How fast, approximatly would this computer run a simple GC game like Super Mario Sunshine or Mario Kart: Double Dash?

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.16 Ghz. I don't know if it's x64 or x86.
RAM: 2048 MB DDR RAM
GFX Card: Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS(or another similar ATI/Nvidia high-end gfx card)

I don't have this computer yet, stated in my signature. But I was wondering what FPS it could run at. If you don't have an estimate then that's alright, I'm just curious.

Sercio

Even with a Core 2 duo would you not get fps rates over ~ 6 maybe! (and yes it is a x64)
uhm... about your ram and your G-card should you not worry. They are more then enough:p

HASJ

Mine is a:
CPU: AMD Sempron 2600+ 1.82GHz
GPU: ATi RADEON 9280 128mb
RAM: 640mb DDR

Will it manage to run SSBM with no problem, knowing it won't pass the 8 FPS?

Appreciate de help, cya :doh:

MoogleKing

Mine is a:
CPU: AMD Sempron 2600+ 1.82GHz
GPU: ATi RADEON 9280 128mb
RAM: 640mb DDR

Will it manage to run SSBM with no problem, knowing it won't pass the 8 FPS?

Appreciate de help, cya :doh:

you will get less than 8 fps with that slow machine, 1-3 fps i predict.

S

Sasuke3.0

where are these people coming from?

for everyone who is looking through this, you're not going to get anywhere over about 6fps, doesn't matter what your system is so stop asking.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Did anyone notice the "also read the FAQ" post posted earlier? It states clearly that you won't get much speed!

Sercio

How about mine system?

I like people which thinks they must proudly show their "huge system" by asking noobish questions what they even already know -.-OH hey whats about my ridicoulus system ?!?
I have a Blue Gene from IBM which has something around 1000 terrahertz clock speed and around 32 terrabyte on ram and a Nvidia ge-force 93856274 with 10 terrabyte on v-ram. Additionally i have C= 400 and D= 200 petabyte on HDD space and a Realtek AC97 onboardsound. Well how much fps would i get with dolphin :ranting:

Sercio

Indeed... I can remember my first post here ^^ It was a kinda same "why slow" and "my powerfull hardware" thread :whistling But if i see it now i feel full of shame on maself :doh:

FIBERLINE

These are the specs of a Game-Cube:

Specs:

* Contemporary cube shape
* 4 controller ports
* 2 memory card slots
* Capacity for future modem/broadband connection
* 485MHz custom CPU with 162MHz custom graphics processor
* 40MB total memory; 2.6 GB per second memory bandwidth
* 12M polygons per second; texture read bandwidth 10.4 GB per second
* 64 audio channels
* Dimensions 4.5" x 5.9" x 6.3"
* 3-inch Optical Disc Technology (1.5 gigabytes)

But why can't a computer emulate it effectively?

Rigel

Dude, have YOU ever written a state machine?

*assuming* that all instructions in the one CPU take the same number of cycles as they do on your CPU, you need a clock rate advantage of 50-100 : 1 to do interpretation (that would be a 25-50 GHz chip!). This would indicate that a 2GHz machine should run at about 1-2 fps, so Dolphin is right on track there.

Of course, doing good recompilation can speed things tremendously, BUT you've still got emulate the complete state of the system, accounting for hardware bugs / quirks along the way.

Multicore doesn't necessarily help either. If the original system is single-core (which I believe the GC is), then extracting streams of commands to be run in a separate thread can be a daunting task. More likely, the separate thread will help in state tracking, or graphics / audio processing.

So, after intense work and optimization, current generation computers (and I'm referring to the 2-3gHz range of dual cores from AMD and Intel) should be able to reach speeds of 30 fps, possibly as high as 40-45. Definitely playable, but not full speed.

Guru64

I like people which thinks they must proudly show their "huge system" by asking noobish questions what they even already know -.-OH hey whats about my ridicoulus system ?!?
I have a Blue Gene from IBM which has something around 1000 terrahertz clock speed and around 32 terrabyte on ram and a Nvidia ge-force 93856274 with 10 terrabyte on v-ram. Additionally i have C= 400 and D= 200 petabyte on HDD space and a Realtek AC97 onboardsound. Well how much fps would i get with dolphin :ranting:
Zero. Dolphin won't run on a Blue Gene.