What's new

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to play games...

smcd

Looks like China has their share of crazy gamers too.
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=internetNews&storyID=8727492
A Shanghai online game player who stabbed a competitor to death for selling his cyber-sword has been given a suspended death sentence, which in effect means life imprisonment, state media said on Wednesday.

The case had created a dilemma in China where no law exists for the ownership of virtual weapons.

Qiu Chengwei, 41, stabbed competitor Zhu Caoyuan in the chest after he was told Zhu had sold his "dragon sabre," used in the popular online game, "Legend of Mir 3," the China Daily said.

"Legend of Mir 3" features heroes and villains, sorcerers and warriors, many of whom wield enormous swords.

Qiu was sentenced to death "with a two-year reprieve," which in effect means life behind bars. That, in turn, could be reduced to 15 years if he behaves well, the newspaper said of the sentence which has angered the victim's family.

"My son was only 26 when he died," said Zhu Huimin, the dead man's father, who is planning to appeal. "He was sleeping when Qiu broke into his home. He was barely able to put on his pants before Qiu stabbed him.

"We want Qiu to die, and immediately."

Qiu and a friend jointly won their weapon last February, and lent it to Zhu who then sold it for 7,200 yuan (US$870), the newspaper said.

Qui went to the police to report the "theft" but was told the weapon was not real property protected by law.

"Zhu promised to hand over the cash but an angry Qui lost patience and attacked Zhu at his home, stabbing him in the left chest with great force and killing him," the court was told.

More and more online gamers were seeking justice through the courts over stolen weapons and credits, the newspaper said at the time the case went to trial.

"The armor and swords in games should be deemed as private property as players have to spend money and time for them," Wang Zongyu, an associate law professor at Beijing's Renmin University of China, was quoted as saying.

But other experts have called for caution. "The 'assets' of one player could mean nothing to others as they are by nature just data created by game providers," a lawyer for a Shanghai-based Internet game company was quoted as saying.

Amon_Knives

Film Student
That's probably the stupidest, most fucked up, mst idiotic, craziest, and funniest thing i have ever heard about video games. Good work China! lol

Miretank

Lurking
Amon_Knives said:
That's probably the stupidest, most fucked up, mst idiotic, craziest, and funniest thing i have ever heard about video games.

me too.
by the way, time ago an other disturb-minded has done a carnage at a cinema room... what does happened to him?
and what makes people act like this?

Amon_Knives

Film Student
MiretanK.O said:
by the way, time ago an other disturb-minded has done a carnage at a cinema room... what does happened to him?
and what makes people act like this?

???? wha ????? I understood cinema room and to him...but thats all.

Miretank

Lurking
sorry my horrid english :)
i mean a guy that killed a lot of people in a movie room, about 5 years ago(?). he got "inspiration " to do that carnage by playing Duke Nukem.
i wonder if he is jailed or wander free.
and I wonder why persons (probably with emotional disturbs) do these things.
''sory fur de troble'' :)

Eagle

aka Alshain
MiretanK.O said:
i mean a guy that killed a lot of people in a movie room, about 5 years ago(?). he got "inspiration " to do that carnage by playing Duke Nukem.

Thats a case of blaming video games for violence which couldnt be further from the truth. Video games to not make people act out violently, even if their content is violent in nature.

The above case was a little different, nobody was blaming the game in that case. Instead it was a case of someone getting too attatched to the game. Games are just data on a server which will one day not be there anymore. If a person gets too attached to an intangible object (and sometimes a tangible one) then it is the persons fault and not the game.

So regardless of what happens, blaming the game is nothing more than a scapegoat, its always the persons fault.

Amon_Knives

Film Student
MiretanK.O said:

It's ok. Yeah, I heard about that. Crazy people.

Ron White: "Yeah it's video games causing all this violence...it's not a parent problem...*sarcastically* oh nooo...it's a video game problem, you've figured it out...congratulations" lol so true...people trying to ban video games because they cause violence is just making a solution to something that isn't the problem.

Last edited:

Knuckles

I played a lot of fps... and the gta series.... but does it make me go in the street, buy a gun, steal cars and shoot people for no reasons?..........

...yes

I mean... no!

well ... there's a guy I want to kill if I see him in real life..... some WoW related stuff (not selling and so but... mostly annoying as hell).... but I wouldn't kill him, just..... beat him until he stops being a stupid retard :p

Last edited: