What's new

Should I install DirecX 9?

jelbo

Nintendo emulation fanatic!
Can it make my system slower or can it only have advantages? I'm just not sure if I should install it. I'm running most things (3d) flawlessly, except for some texture-alignment errors with jabo's D3D 6 1.5 in Mickey's Speedway USA and the first level of Starfox 64. I don't know if these things are driver related though..

Any advice will be appreciated. My specs are in my sig.

gokuss4

Meh...
it wont fix emulation :p but it might fix other stuff in your system. it MAY increase a tiny bit of performance. but overall stay up to date and install DirectX 9 damnit! ;)

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
It WONT boost your PC performance.
At the moment there is NO software that req. DX9 and therefore - no software that can take advantage of it.

OP
jelbo

jelbo

OK, I guess I download it and wait till something requires DX9.. is there any way to uninstall DirectX? I tried with a friend, but I couldn't figure it out...

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
There was a dx uninstaller somewhere, although it was a while back ago i heard of it and i don't remember anything...
I'm not sure it really even works since i never tested it...
But well, use a logging utility like norton cleansweep and let it remove ALL the dx files :)P) and reinstall another dx if you wanna uninstall it.

nycbeatatl

Lives in ATL, longs for NYC.
My comp specs aren't the greatest out there (check my signiture), but I am running DX9 perfectly, so I don't think you need to worry about compatibility. As far as PC performance boosts, like other people have said, it won't affect much considering the fact that there are few programs out there written for it. The most you can expect at the moment is minor bug fixes and maybe a bit faster performance on some Direct3D games. Wait till newer games come out for any real difference. On the whole, get it, sooner or later you're going to need it anyway.

Last edited:

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
nycbeatatl said:
My comp specs aren't the greatest out there (check my signiture), but I am running DX9 perfectly, so I don't think you need to worry about compatibility. As far as PC performance boosts, like other people have said, it won't affect much considering the fact that there are few programs out there written for it. The most you can expect at the moment is minor bug fixes and maybe a bit faster performance on some Direct3D games. Wait till newer games come out for any real difference. On the whole, get it, sooner or later you're going to need it anyway.

hell thats better then mine.. am running a p3 933 i refuse too upgrade again! lol

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
There is something odd i found about dx9...3dmark 2001 se ran perfecly 'til i installed the debug run-times from the sdk. Of course...i installed the newest detonator beta drivers, which also may cause the problem?

But well, it states i don't have dx 8.1, so...that's the only drawback i can find.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
i say dont install it...yet. i, personally, would "wait and see". ive read articles stating that dx9, atm, is sorta buggy. and uninstalling dx is never a good idea for a non-techie guy to try, no matter what tools available. as well, as btm stated, there is nothing to gain from installing it...so why risk screwing your comp, just to stay "up to date"?

Flash

Technomage
jelbo said:
OK, I guess I download it and wait till something requires DX9.. is there any way to uninstall DirectX? I tried with a friend, but I couldn't figure it out...

open regedit.exe , go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DirectX
and delete "Version" string. You wont be able to uninstall but you can reinstall older version over newer or reinstall to fix damaged installation

OP
jelbo

jelbo

I made a new thread of this, DirectX 9 installation problems.

Last edited: