What's new

Shen Mue Problem

Lightbringer_x

Hi,

i wanted to play Shen Mue since the release, but i never bought a dreamcast (i dont know why, maybe because there was just one great game out there...).

Now i'm using chankast v0.25.

I read, that Shen Mue is playable and there are many people who completed the game without problems.

MY Problem is, that everytime i run the game (i use alcohol 120% for virtual cd), it throws this:

Code:
io Control: Error

What do i need to do?

Greets

Lightbringer_x

PS: Is the BIOS important? I dont know which bios version (ntsc or pal) i use because i dont know the difference there... But Shen Mue is definitily a NTSC Version. If i need a pal version (because i think i use a pal bios), where do i get a pal version of the game?

Last edited:

Kratos777

Which CD-rom plugin are you using and is the BIOS in Spanish by any chance?

I don't know if I should try to help you when you say the Dreamcast only has ONE good game. >_>

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
The BIOS region should affect the games you can play. I think I have the PAL BIOS (blue swirl) and I can run NTSC games just fine. Change the CDRom plugin to xxx if you haven't done so already.

Also, some people report that using Daemon Tools 3.29 can prevent ioControl errors. I use DT4 and never had any problems, but you never know...

Last edited:
OP
L

Lightbringer_x

MiretanK.O said:
Sorry for that!

I'm using the CD-Rom-interface-xxx-thing and yes, it's possible to switch to german, but i can't speak spanish... so... I have a version with a red squirl and i can chose from about 5-7 languages (english, german, french, spanish...)

"I don't know if I should try to help you when you say the Dreamcast only has ONE good game. >_>"
- hehe... For ME Shen Mue is the best game for dc. Maybe there are other good games^^

"Also, some people report that using Daemon Tools 3.29 can prevent ioControl errors. I use DT4 and never had any problems, but you never know..."
- Thanx. I'll check it out...

Last edited:

psycrow

I'm actually tryin to fix the same problem! Daemon tools 3.29 seems the way to go, i'm just tryin to find a working link!

(i'm also using alcohol)

OP
L

Lightbringer_x

My system (win xp pro sp2) collapsed because of Daemon Tools 3.29 -.-°

fu** software!

But the new 4.xx one works fine (except u want to play shen mue...)

Mouser X

I've heard that Daemon Tools 3.29 often crashes SP2 systems. It runs fine for me, but I'm using SP1. I don't plan on installing SP2 unless it's absolutly nesseccary for me to do so (like as in, it cripples my PC to not have it). As of yet, that hasn't happened, and I don't expect it to anytime soon. I've heard more problems are created from SP2 than are solved (but then again, what else is new for Microsoft?).

As for testing for bad images, I HIGHLY suggest you look for, and download, a program called "CDcheck." It's worked great for me so far. You can also try "CDmage," as that one has successfully repaired a damaged CD image. At least, it did for me. Hopefully that helps a little. Mouser X over and out.

OP
L

Lightbringer_x

MiretanK.O said:
For me, you have a bad image, Lightbringer_x.
I tried 2 of them so far... :(

---

I'll have a look at that proggy and maybe it helps me :plain:

EDIT: The proggy found two corrupted sectors. I'll check the game within the next five minutes :)

Last edited:
OP
L

Lightbringer_x

YES! It works!!!!
I just checked the image and fixed the corrupted sectors!

Thank you very much MiretanK.O & Mouser X !!!

It works fine now!

@psycrow: Try the way I did. Just use this little proggy and try to fix your image.
I'm using Alcohol 120% because it's much better performance than with daemon tools (it seems)...

Last edited:

Mouser X

MiretanK.O said:
No problem at all Lightbringer, we're here to help :)
What he said. I'm just glad that I was able to use knowledge gleaned from these boards to help someone else. Mouser X over and out.