What's new

Sega to make consoles again? oO

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
With the advent of E3 opening this week the gaming industry has been abuzz with all sorts of news. The strangest, yet most talked about rumor between the various representatives that come in to EB has been that Sega is supposedly re-entering the home console market. I obviously have no others sources but word of mouth from the various reps but from all of the attention that this has been getting in the past few days it sure seems to be too hailed to be false. I was wondering if anybody had heard anything about this or not, once again, this is just within the past 48 hours or so that I've started hearing this so it's still new to me. I'll keep everybody up to date on this as it develops if any.

In a word no.. they dont have the finance, they HAVE cut their losses and are climbing the 3rd party latter again. Their knowledge base is phenomenal and all they need is the backing but that could be years away. So they have to wait til they can finanace it themselves. Slow burn...

Alchy

Certainly not a competitive home console. Maybe an extension of their arcade line - Sammy owns a fair part of Sega, and Sammy make the Atomiswave boards based on DC hardware, so it wouldn't be too big a leap to make "the next Neogeo" for the home arcade market. Think very high prices for the games, fairly high prices on the hardware. Doesn't interfere with Sega's cross-platform game development. It's a possibility...

Clements

At least more people will be able to enjoy their games being a software-only company. I still blame big-bucks Sony for pushing Sega out of the hardware market with their highly competitive marketing not seen in the industry before, and mainstream gamers not buying Sega systems as a result.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
also, even though the dreamcast was far more technically advanced than the ps2 (eat dirt sony fanboys) sony was using the dvd-player function to push it so far, since most standalones at the time were near that price, so people thought, why not get a ps2 and ps1 built right the heck in

Talas

Son of the Sky
I also dont believe that it will happen, though it would be very cool. I think a lot of people would buy a new console just to spare it the destiny of the DC. :)

Stezo2k

S-2K
sheik124 said:
also, even though the dreamcast was far more technically advanced than the ps2 (eat dirt sony fanboys) sony was using the dvd-player function to push it so far, since most standalones at the time were near that price, so people thought, why not get a ps2 and ps1 built right the heck in

yeah, i agree, i have many dc games that look nicer than ps2 games, shenmue definatly being one of them. Also crazy taxi and unreal tournament both look nicer on the dc ports. Piracy killed the dreamcast in my opinion, it was doing fairly good in the market for a while, it's a shame it's dead. I still play mine though now and then, i'll always like the dc :) i've even got bleemcast (gt2) for it, which is pretty rare to get now, works just as well or better than gt3

OP
GogoTheMimic

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
That picture is fake. There is no way that they would have console boxes like that this early on IF, stressing IF they were going to make another console. I guess we'll have to wait and hear from Sega's big secret announcement tomorrow morning to see what it really is. :)

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
That pic is a nice peice of artwork, but its given away by some bad mip mapping (or whatever thats called where you get the moire effect when textures are at a big angle, look at the zigzags in the upper sega logo.)

revl8er

That Damn Good
Sega should just stick to making games imo. I know they are easily capable of making a decent console, but I doubt they could match up with the top 3 right now unless they teamed up with another company.

OP
GogoTheMimic

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
Personally, I don't think it would be a wise move to get back into consoles. Having three portables and with Sega, four next gen systems(not including the Phantom or that PC-esque one) the market wouldn't be able to support that.