What's new

Save States between different emulators

SirLuck

I want to open my save states from PJ64 into 1964 but cant seem to get it to work. 1964 wants a save state to be in .sav format but PJ64 saves differently and simply changing the extension to .sav doesnt seem to work. I have also tried saving in the game and then trying to export that .eep file. That doesn't seem to work either...Any ideas?

Rice

Emulator Developer
Use the "Import PJ64 Save State" menu to import the file, not just rename the file.

OP
S

SirLuck

What "Import PJ64 Save State" menu? I can't find this menu. I am running 0.7.3 and cant find this on the pull down menus.

WhizzKidd

Kinda related...

I'm having trouble with savestates between emulators too. I'm trying to play Zelda: Ocarina of Time, but I get graphics corruption on indoor scenes and town scenes, but only from the overhead view. On indoor scenes its not a problem because I can switch to the sideways view, but on towns its unplayable because the background graphic is totally corrupted, meaning I cant see where anything is (and you cant switch, I dont think). I'll reply with a screenshot if anyone wants to see what I'm on about.

Anyway, this problem doesnt exist in pj64, so I tried saving a game in pj64 format and loading it up but when pj64 loads the savestate the game locks up. Keyboard input and graphics are frozen, but audio carries on playing. The CPU stats report that "dlist" is at 0%. I tried messing around with the naitive savestate files (you know, the sram files etc) to see if I could just get pj64 to load those, but no such luck. As a side note, the opposite problem exists when trying to load a 1964->pj64 export in Zelda:MM, the graphics & input work fine except no audio happens. Anything audio related (like trying to do a naitive save using an owl or playing the ocarina of time) locks up the game though.

So, to summerise, what I need to know is this:

How can I transfer a game from 1964 to pj64? Both Zelda:OoT and MM have issues in 1964 that dont happen in pj64 (in MM the bottom of the screen is cut off, its a PAL ROM and I hear they have issues with resolution which would make sense considering PAL is a different res to NTSC anyway).

If it isnt possible to get a working 1964->pj64 export, how can I resolve the graphical corruption issues? I started playing both games in 1964 and have gotten far enough in both to make me not want to bother having to go through them again from the start. MM is at least playable despite the missing bottom of the screen, but the graphical corruption on OoT makes it unplayable.

My system is a dual P3 533 w/256MB RAM, GeForce DDR (28.32 latest drivers, 23.11 was same), W2k Pro SP2. Both rom's are verified with latest GoodN64 w/GoodWin frontend.

Hurm, to be honest the time I've spent trying to figure this out I could have just started playing again in pj64 :p

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas....

Rice

Emulator Developer
You'd better to try again, save in 1964 at a different spot, then export to PJ64.

Or you can use n64 native saves. Native save should work, you need to rename the filename correctly in order to load the SRAM or FLASH save file in PJ.

WhizzKidd

Well, I thought Hyrule town would be unplayable, but I muddled around and then found the town center. Its been *years* since I last played this game :p. It looks like only a couple of scenes (like the first scene when you enter the town) are corrupt. I think I'll manage with OoT, I mean, 1964 is a good 10fps faster on most scenes compared to pj64, so yea =).

As for MM, well, hopefully by the time I come to play that 1964 will have fixed the wacky rendering with PAL roms. If it hasnt, I doubt I'll mind playing the start again, it'll take me a week or two to really play through OoT.

Thanks for replying, like, yea :)

Oh, and can someone change the 1964 0.7.3 compatability list so that it at least mentions the graphical corruption? Thats what confused me, after I searched around the forum some more I found more people talking about the corruption, like, confusing and stuff :plain2:

Azimer

Emulator Developer
I never gave 1964 JPG decompression. This is why the graphics seem corrupt. If schibo or Rice contacts me, I can set something up for them for next release.

Rice

Emulator Developer
Azimer, do you mean you can support JPEG decompression in your new version of plugin?

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Maybe, it is possible to make a rsp zilmar spec plugin that handle non audio/video task by hle. ( don't know how much work it represents because i don't know how many different tasks like this exist). Anyway, it's easy to say but....