What's new

SATA Compatibility

Eagle

aka Alshain
I'm thinking of upgrading, but my hard drive is fairly new. Unfortunately it is a ATA IDE. My question is, can my ATA IDE drive be used on a SATA IDE port? If I upgrade I would like to "plan ahead" and get SATA on the motherboard but I don't want to just toss away my other hard drive right now.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Nope, you can't use your PATA (the "regular" ATA) drive on a SATA port. However, new motherboards usually have SATA connections, but they still have two PATA IDE ports. So you can surely connect your old HD.

Jakob

evil *******
t0rek said:
Nope, you can't use your PATA (the "regular" ATA) drive on a SATA port. However, new motherboards usually have SATA connections, but they still have two PATA IDE ports. So you can surely connect your old HD.
Actually, that is not true, you can purchase an adapter, it just plugs into the PATA drive where the cable would, and provides a sata interface.

Stezo2k

S-2K
pAsSiVe said:
Actually, that is not true, you can purchase an adapter, it just plugs into the PATA drive where the cable would, and provides a sata interface.

whoa nice, does it improve performance much?

i heard sata improves bandwidth when under load

not sure if it'll improve it being IDE by default, but its worth asking

Gorxon

Administrator
It doesn't improve performance since PATA HD's aren't made for transferring such high speed. Not to mention that no drives actually nowhere near max the speed potential. However it will decrease the load on the CPU I believe, but that isn't by much.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
pAsSiVe said:

Thats kinda backward though, I'm looking for SATA that I can plug my PATA into. But the motherbaord I found has a SATA and a PATA dual raid.

Jakob

evil *******
Eagle said:
Thats kinda backward though, I'm looking for SATA that I can plug my PATA into. But the motherbaord I found has a SATA and a PATA dual raid.
There are also adapters that give a SATA drive a PATA interface, heh.

Gorxon said:
It doesn't improve performance since PATA HD's aren't made for transferring such high speed. Not to mention that no drives actually nowhere near max the speed potential. However it will decrease the load on the CPU I believe, but that isn't by much.
Considering that current SATA drives are the same as their PATA equivalents, except with a SATA interface, that's a moot point:p

Stezo2k said:
not sure if it'll improve it being IDE by default, but its worth asking
You mean PATA - not IDE as bother PATA and SATA drives are IDE drives. Although there are legions of retailors and dumbass reviewers swarming around claiming otherwise, it reminds me of the time I read a winxp review where the reviewer complained about no support for HFS(Mac) discs not realizing that windows never did support them, just that someone installed a prog to do it;)

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Oh, it's true, I forgot about adapters. BTW there are also power cables adapters if your current PSU doesn't have power cables for SATA drives. :)

Stezo2k

S-2K
t0rek said:
BTW there are also power cables adapters if your current PSU doesn't have power cables for SATA drives. :)

yeah there is mate, i've got about 7 of em here that came with my two abit motherboards, not that i'll ever use em though, my psu has about 3 sata power connectors

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
FWIW I think theres a performance overhead in these adapters, so it may be slower when you use one.