What's new

Running in Real-Time!

jollyrancher

I saw an old thread in the PJ64 forum about changing the task priority of programs to make them run faster... and remember, Neto came up with that utility that raised the priority of a few N64 emulators, but had problems with Windows 98. Anyway, I checked around and tried out a few utilities and found this one called Taskinfo that allows commandline so you can run emulators from shortcuts that will start them in real-time priority. Anyway I'm seeing a significant performance boost in ALL emulators, especially MAME and 1964 and have had no stability problems... just made sure I wasn't running any other programs. BTW, this is on my second computer, a crappy 475 MHZ laptop that I travel with, and it's now running Zelda MM at 50+ FPS, and should be full-speed with the new version!

A few things: you don't actually run Taskinfo, just insert the commandline text into an emulator shortcut (my MAME one is "C:\Program Files\TaskInfo2002\TaskInfo.exe" rpri real C:\games\Mame\mame32.exe). Also, the directories might get screwed up because it runs the emulator from the taskinfo directory, so you might have to reconfigure some emulators or copy the config folder to the taskinfo folder.

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
You are sure you are running them in real-time? The rest of the pc (with mouse and keybd) should hang as soon as cpu gets to a 100.

If you're on XP you may actually be running them in High priority. There's a registry key that prevent the use of the realtime priority on XP (buti don't know what it is its default setting). I don't it have it at hand right now, but i know it can be set from gpedit.msc

Back on topic, that utility seems very nice (whoa tons of features). The page its on http://www.iarsn.com/taskinfo.html

How does it do to get the cpu usage per process? I have been trying to achieve that since quite a while.

OP
J

jollyrancher

I'm sure I'm running them in real-time in Win98, I double-checked with WinTasks. The CPU usage is 100% and the mouse/keyboard still work. I always make sure there are no other real programs running because real-time is the least stable... but no emulator has crashed yet. Maybe I'm just lucky, but it's working great and I'm getting a major speed boost and it's not just my imagination. I wonder if TaskInfo somehow also sets real-time to all the drivers that are associated with the emulator.

edit: I just tried running Halflife and Tony Hawk 2 in real-time and they froze... oh well, at least it works for the emulators.

Last edited: