What's new

Rome Total War will not install!

foogy

I picked up Rome Total War came home put in the first disc, clicked install, went through the area i wanted to install it to, it began to install, but i got (the first picture), then i clicked ignore (check the second picture for results). if i hit cancel it exits the setup, if i hit retry it says the same thing over and over again and doent do anything till setup just exits.... a little help?

my specs
OS: Windows XP Home + SP2, DirectX: 9C, CPU: Athlon 2400+ @ 2.0ghz, HDD: 40gb4500rpms 160gb7200rpms, RAM: 640mb ddr ram, Video Card: GeForce FX 5200 128mb w/ S-Video-Out, Other: CDRW Drive, 16x DVD Drive, 3.5" floppy drive, 17" Display, 27" TV, Axis Gamepad, Xbox Controller Adapter, Nyko Airflo mouse

Gorxon

Administrator
If it's a retail bought version, try emailing the publisher/developer. If it's a downloaded/burned copy it just might be corrupted as it says...

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Its obvisously a damaged disk if it was a bought version, take it back and demand another.

OP
foogy

foogy

its bought, it works on my friends' pcs, but it decides not to work? the only difference between all our pcs is that i have a little more ram than them and ive installed sp2....we even have the same cd drive....i bought this game at a mall about 4 hours away on the way back getting my teeth xrayed, getting the wisdom teeth out this thanksgiving. theres gotta be something else to this.

Eagle

aka Alshain
foogy said:
its bought, it works on my friends' pcs, but it decides not to work? the only difference between all our pcs is that i have a little more ram than them and ive installed sp2....we even have the same cd drive....i bought this game at a mall about 4 hours away on the way back getting my teeth xrayed, getting the wisdom teeth out this thanksgiving. theres gotta be something else to this.

Like we said, email the developer. This isn't Activision's technical support forum. We really have no idea how to help you.

http://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/activision.cfg/php/enduser/entry.php

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Despite all of Activision's suggestions, probably a fragmented HDD and/or more applications open won't cause that. LOL. It's probably a damaged CD, a dirty CD or CD drive problem.

BTW, do you see any error messages about the CD-ROM drive having a bad block in the system event log? If you do, then there's definitely a CD or CD drive problem. The error messages would look like:

Type: Error
Source: cdrom

The device, \Device\CdRom0 has a bad block.

Last edited:

IceWarm

Well if it is a problem with Windows Installer you may want to go to the Start menu and click Run... and type in this command:

C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe /REGSERVER

I've had various Windows Installer problems before and that command fixed them.

Trotterwatch

RJARRRPCGP said:
Despite all of Activision's suggestions, probably a fragmented HDD and/or more applications open won't cause that. LOL. It's probably a damaged CD, a dirty CD or CD drive problem.

You really are clueless.

Applications really can intefere.
Defrag (doesn't hurt, right?)

The rest of the suggestions which you mocked without mentioning, were other decent stuff - for example a complete scandisk (or chkdsk if you're on XP). Deleting temp files and changing the DMA to the drive are also good suggestions.

The remaining part of your post was fine though.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yeah I have definately had programs conflict before. However they never seem to mention that some programs specifically designed to run in the background will almost never conflict. These programs include antivirals and firewalls. While it wouldnt hurt to shut them down during an install, you shouldnt leave them down during gameplay. Actually you can leave the AV off but you need to scan about once a week if you do a lot of internet browsing. I wouldnt reccomend ending any firewalls for long periods, especially if you are on broadband.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Trotterwatch said:
You really are clueless.

Applications really can intefere.
Defrag (doesn't hurt, right?)

The rest of the suggestions which you mocked without mentioning, were other decent stuff - for example a complete scandisk (or chkdsk if you're on XP). Deleting temp files and changing the DMA to the drive are also good suggestions.

The remaining part of your post was fine though.

Most applications won't stop a program from reading the disk and with the exception of if using DoubleSpace HDD compression or DriveSpace pre-DriveSpace 3, fragmentation alone can't cause corrupted files, just slower
file access. DoubleSpace and early versions of DriveSpace reportedly has a major bug where if a file is fragmented, the disk compression literally can lose track of which cluster the file is stored in.

Last edited: