What's new

Roadrunner (Cable) questions

Vchat20

ok. I just switched from DSL to cable because cable is substantially faster. one question though. the guy who came in and installed it said I had to run the roadrunner install cd. I did. but now I got 2 programs running (RoadRunner Medic and Support.com) which seem to be slowing down my computer dramatically. do I need those or can I go without them?

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Vchat20 said:
ok. I just switched from DSL to cable because cable is substantially faster. one question though. the guy who came in and installed it said I had to run the roadrunner install cd. I did. but now I got 2 programs running (RoadRunner Medic and Support.com) which seem to be slowing down my computer dramatically. do I need those or can I go without them?

Odds are, you probably didn't have to install that CD, they just told you to because if something goes wrong, their diagnostic software can attempt to keep things working, as opposed to you calling their tech support and costing them money. See how it works? more profitable that way :)

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Both of those programs are garbage. You need absolutely no software on top of Windows XP for Road Runner.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

thats what I thought cuz my cousin has roadrunner and he has practically no other software running on top of XP for it to run. and anyways, it was connected and working fine before I even ran the CD. only reason why I did install it was cuz my mom forced me to since the guy who installed it told her to. now ive just got to figure out how to remove them. >.<

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
I have Road Runner and the only thing that I needed to install were the drivers for my Surfboard modem. Ditch the other crap, it's useless. Tech support is easy enough to deal with when problems arise that you don't need any software polluting your hd.

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
There are no drivers for anything that plugs into your computer with an ethernet cable, only for USB, which you really shouldn't use.

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
Yeah, the jackass who installed our modem used USB, but when I got my router I obviously hooked it up via ethernet.

My95ZR2

Just one thing to say, I installed XP on a friend's computer who had Comcast cable internet, and Windows took care of it all. Most stuff like that is crap to slow down your computer, and posibily have them take "demographic information" (ATT dail-up does this sometimes...Zonealarms or Kerio takes care of that)

Adam