What's new

Rices Video VS Directx 9.0

death rin VR

As some of you may already have read in the Dolphin-Thread: Yesterday I made one of the biggest mistakes in my computer-life and installed DirectX 9.0b on my PC. It can't be removed, I tried everything from system restore to various internet-progs and it still ist there. The problem: It fucks up most games in 1964 that work with Rices Video Plugin, so Mario Tennis, Yoshis Island, Smash Brothers, Donkey Kong and many more aren't playable anymore for me. Anyones got another idea on this ? Can I remove DirectX manually ? How does it work ?

rcgamer

the old guy
just install an older version from a game cd. by the way what gfx card are you using. ive never heard of this. thats the version i have and those games work fine for me.

OP
death rin VR

death rin VR

rcgamer said:
just install an older version from a game cd.

*lol* Brilliant Idea :) , but it's not possible to install an older version of DirectX, when having installed a new version.

P.S.:Sorry, i don't know what graphics card i have. Where can i look it up ?

rcgamer

the old guy
hmmmm, yeah that sucks. sorry. the only thing i can think of is to try to manually remove all the directx files. then install a new version. but since i have never had the problem i dont know if this is possible either.

Last edited:

rcgamer

the old guy
oh and you can find out what gfx card you have by right clicking my computer and clicking properties. then click hardware and device manager. you can also go to system information. what operating system are you using. you should post your specs in your sig.

OP
death rin VR

death rin VR

rcgamer said:
hmmmm, yeah that sucks. sorry. the only thing i can think of is to try to manually remove all the directx files. then install a new version. but since i have never had the problem i dont know if this is possible either.

mhmm...that was also my idea, but i don't really know which files these are (windows XP) and where to find them. Plus: There also must be something in the registry that needs to be removed.

rcgamer

the old guy
you could try doing a search for directx files and folders. once the files are gone maybe use a registry cleaner to remove the entries. I personally would only try this as a last resort. have you tried updating your video card drivers? im guessing no. that would be the first way to go. also type in dxdiag in start-run. do the tests and maybe it will tell you the problem. you might just need to reinstall dx9b.

Last edited:
OP
death rin VR

death rin VR

rcgamer said:
you could try doing a search for directx files and folders. once the files are gone maybe use a registry cleaner to remove the entries. I personally would only try this as a last resort. have you tried updating your video card drivers? im guessing no. that would be the first way to go. also type in dxdiag in start-run. do the tests and maybe it will tell you the problem. you might just need to reinstall dx9b.

Believe me, I'm getting to the point where i am trying everything :cry: . I just don't want to re-install Windows. I ran dxdiag yesterday and it says that everything is ok and i have version 9b. I tried to reinstall it, but it didn't solve the problem. How can i update my video card drivers ? That might be a solution.

rcgamer

the old guy
well first find out what card you have then go to the manufacturers website and get the newewst drivers. Do a search on google for the website of the manufacturer.

OP
death rin VR

death rin VR

No. Seems like my graphics chip isn't supported anymore. Anyone who knows which files belong to Directx and where to locate them ?

rcgamer

the old guy
the six at the end of your graphics card should be a G. its there i just checked and there was a driver from 02/04 for your card.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
It's easy to remove :p I managed once, with no effeort at all, with no 3rd party tools.
But again, dx9 shouln't screw up your system...it doesn't for me.
Anyway, to remove directx, open regedit and search for directx.

Eventually, I think you'll come to a value that tells the version.
***BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES***
Then delete that value.

Open dxdiag and voila - it can't find the dx version. Now you may freely install any dx version you want.

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
As I know, intel graphics controllers have many problems with directx9 installed, as well sis onboard graphics + dx8...

These cards are a $%#@ of ¨&%, but comes with many computers including many compaq models, i hate compaq and dell.....

OP
death rin VR

death rin VR

Doomulation said:
It's easy to remove :p I managed once, with no effeort at all, with no 3rd party tools.
But again, dx9 shouln't screw up your system...it doesn't for me.
Anyway, to remove directx, open regedit and search for directx.

Eventually, I think you'll come to a value that tells the version.
***BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES***
Then delete that value.

I'm going to try that. Is making a system restore point save enough to backup ? And: Where can i find regedit ?`Maybe you could explain it with a little more details...Thank you, btw

rcgamer

the old guy
its in c-windows system or system 32 for xp. unless you know what you are doing , i wouldnt advise messing with the registry. good luck.

Last edited:

Glurak

I don't think it's a problem easiest way to launch regedit is start->run->regedit =)

a backup would mean export the value in regedit that would be enough teh worst thing that could happen (if you really only modify keys with dx in the name) is that directx wouldn't work anymore and reimporting the exported reg settings will solve that...

btw. you can find the files dx uses in dxdiag but deleting them wouldn't do you any good since the "lemme install check" is through the registry

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Yup, the easiest way is start-menu->run->regedit.
Before you delete anything, select the key from which the value you're deleting, goto file and select export. Then save it as a backup. If something goes wrong, then you only have to import it again.