What's new

Rices Daedalus 5.20 (231203 edition) lockup

Trotterwatch

I have tried this plugin out with a couple of games and haven't had too much luck with any of them (framebuffer wise). However apart from that they seem to work fine.

The major problem is I have had 2 total system locking crashes whilst using (and only whilst using) this revision of the plugin. (Edit// 5 system locking crashes as of now....). I am going to downgrade drivers later.

System locking in such a manner as to render Ctrl Alt Del useless (no task window), sound repeats, system doesn't even respond to the usual set it into sleep mode then reawaken it trick :( There are no eventvwr.msc entries to threads stuck in device driver either.

I have deleted all previous .reg entries then tried it again, still got problems.

Using Catalyst 3.10 drivers on the system below. I am hoping Gent can confirm or deny this report later.

I am aware that some may say this is the infinite loop error, I am pretty damn certain it isn't, or if it is it is only triggered off by something in this new revision of the plugin.

Negatives with this version:
Stability

Positives:
Shadow looks nice in Jet Force Gemini

Last edited:

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
I can verify this 100% as all of us can in the beta chan.

also Mario Tennis is a total crash fest, & randomly screws you over when switching from full - window or visa verser.

19 November 2003, 20:18:44 was by far the best on my box for stability & alround performance on this game and most others.

The Siskoo

Always the same problem with 1964 20.10.2003 and Rice Daedalus 5.2.0 23.12.2003 :

Look the first picture :

test1.jpg

Now Open a new webpage for example (top hide 1964)

Come back again on 1964 and you must have a pic like that

test2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rice

Emulator Developer
I certainly understand the problems that you have with other video cards. It is too bad that I don't have them to test with.

A few comments:
- OpenGL does not support frame buffer effects
- Without using framebuffer feature, the plugin should be as stable as before

I will see if I can do anything to make it better.

Like to post a few teaser shots here to show the positive side.

Rice

Last edited:

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Trotterwatch said:
The major problem is I have had 2 total system locking crashes whilst using (and only whilst using) this revision of the plugin. (Edit// 5 system locking crashes as of now....). I am going to downgrade drivers later.

System locking in such a manner as to render Ctrl Alt Del useless (no task window), sound repeats, system doesn't even respond to the usual set it into sleep mode then reawaken it trick :( There are no eventvwr.msc entries to threads stuck in device driver either.

Well, I also have an interesting one, sometimes if you get an infinite loop crash,
Windows XP may not reboot or display a blue screen message right away and then
if you let Windows XP sit there for approximately 30 seconds or approximately one minute, Windows will eventually reboot on it's own or display a blue screen message.

(I think, because Windows, even when it's frozen is gathering crash information quietly in the background before it reboots or displays the blue screen message.)

I seen that occur before one day and I was trying to unfreeze Windows XP after
I saw the video freeze, when running Need For Speed III, but the music was still playing OK! Then in some seconds, Windows XP rebooted and logged stop code 0xEA and logged the message that device\video0 got stuck in an infinite loop.

Also, I noticed that if Windows XP crashes, when Windows XP reboots the PC, I briefly hear the HDD click off then back on (I don't think that's good for the HDD to have the HDD spin down then back up in literally a split second everytime Windows XP crashes)

OP
T

Trotterwatch

Yeah I've experienced that exact behaviour using a GF3 a while back. Turns out my motherboard was supplying slightly too much voltage, I knocked it down a notch and I never had it again.

I left this one for a minute or so, as you say, it sometimes seems locked whilst it does a memory dump. Sadly not in this instance though, the eventvwr doesn't show any logs :( which is a pity.