What's new

Rice and Glide issues with PJ64 2.0 on Parallels Win 7

Jabroni

Rice and Glide issues with PJ64 2.0 on Win 7 Boot Camp

Hey all, I'm a very recent convert to emulators and hires texture packs, and especially Windows. I just installed Win 7 inside Parallels on my MBPr in order to use PJ64 2.0's Glide setup, as wxMupen64+ is still on an older version of the plugin and I couldn't compile completely from scratch even in my Linux days. So, I apologize in advance for any frustration my newbness might cause.

This is a base Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 install, with nothing but DirectX (I got the June 2010 SDK after trying the runtime, because I wasn't sure if that could handle everything these emulators do on its own) and PJ64 2.0 with Glide64_final and Rice 6.1.4 added.

Glide is recognized by the program and I'm able to edit all its settings, but even with it selected as my plugin of choice, I receive an error. RiceVideo, on the other hand, isn't even an option. The glide wrapper is in the main PJ64 directory, and all other related dll/ini files are inside /Plugin/GFX. Glide, I've noticed, doesn't seem to be affected when I move the dll/ini files between "Plugin" and "GFX" (I've read conflicting advice on where to put these files, so tried different ways). Maybe it's just the wrapper being recognized, and I'm doing this part wrong? I also don't see a simple "enable/disable hires textures" anywhere in the Glide settings, if it matters.

I ran the Rice executable multiple times (after clearing the old files), trying the main PJ64 directory as well as the Plugin and GFX directories, but none gave me any signs of life in PJ64. I figured that downloading it would be a good idea in case Glide uses the files itself when running textures in "Rice mode" (which is not enabled right now).

This is primarily in order to run djipi's Zelda cellpacks--which I have to say look incredible, and a quick thank you to anyone who helped with all the packs out there--which are in .dat format and I've never handled before. My hires_texture folder is in /Project 64 2.0/Plugin, but I also read around some forums that it can be placed in /Project 64 2.0/Plugin/GFX. Not sure which is right.

The error message:

"Cannot open a rom because plugins have not successfully initialised"

"CN64System::EmulationStarting: Exception caught
File: .\N64 System\N64 Class.cpp
Line: 258"

This error is consistent across all of my roms, even those without hires textures.

Edit: My "Texture Directory" in Settings is set to the Save folder for some reason. I tried switching it to the hires_texture folder but had no success with that. I just realized I should probably mention because I have no idea what's relevant!

Thanks for reading, and thank you for all the work that has been put into this project!

Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

Parallels (or any other virtual machine software) offers very poor 3D support. Only solution is installing Windows 7 in your actual machine (if it's a Mac then use Bootcamp. If it's Linux then partition your hard disk and install Windows 7 on the free partition, don't forget to install the drivers.).

OP
J

Jabroni

At least I live up to my name.

I'm up and running in Boot Camp now, but the second part of the error, this:

"CN64System::EmulationStarting: Exception caught
File: .\N64 System\N64 Class.cpp
Line: 258"

...is still there. Glide and Rice files and the hires_texture folder are all in the GFX directory, and the Glide wrapper in the Project64 2.0 directory.

OP
J

Jabroni

Okay, I've made some progress!

I ran PJ64 in compatibility mode and I'm able to load roms and hires textures, including Glide-specific formats.

The one game I'm still getting this error on, though, is Ocarina of Time with the Community pack (djipi works fine).

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
you will need to large addressing patch the pj64 executable

though even that might not be enough, so fiddle with the texture compression settings as well.

if that still fails, use pj64 1.6 to create the initial cache file with the same settings (and large addressing patch) and then it'll load from the cache file instead of from the unpacked textures.