What's new

Resident Evil 4

Xtreme2damax

I noticed Resident Evil 4 is listed as "Ingame" on the compatibility list, however as soon as I start it in Dolphin it gets past the memory card screen and freezes before it even reaches the menus.

Is there anything special I need to do in order to get ingame? I do however realize it is not fully playable, just seeing it go ingame on my PC is good enough for me.

I am using Dolphin 64-bit beta 3 on Windows XP x64.

If you want to know my specs, they are in my sig.

:Edit: By disabling Dual core I was able to get to the menu. However upon starting a new game I get this error:

I thought this would of gone ingame like the compatibility list said it does. I would hardly call crashing upon starting a new game as qualifying as "Ingame" status. (Not trying to be rude or anything.)

How can I actually get ingame like the compatibility list says? By the way I own the NTSC version of Resident Evil 4 since I live in America, however it's still listed as ingame.;)

re4.jpg

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Or you could play the PC version, since undoubtedly your computer is more than capable of handling it.

In any case, are you sure your image is error-free?

OP
X

Xtreme2damax

Or you could play the PC version, since undoubtedly your computer is more than capable of handling it.

In any case, are you sure your image is error-free?

Yes I am completely sure it is error free. It seems it goes further when disabling dual core, however it still crashes when I start a new game.

As for the PC version, I already own it. However it is not as good as playing the Gamecube version and even with the active mods for the PC version it still pales in comparison to the Gamecube and Wii versions.

I currently own it for both PC and Gamecube, but given a choice I'd rather play the Gamecube version. So I took an opportunity to get my game ripped to test via Dolphin and I noted the "Ingame" status on the compatibility list which is what I am going by.

However it seems I ran into a snag, the image however is error free and I have verified the dump against the filesize of all my other dumps.

By the way is there a tool that can verify if you did a dump properly using hashes or md5 just to double check the dump was performed properly?

Agozer

As for the PC version, I already own it. However it is not as good as playing the Gamecube version and even with the active mods for the PC version it still pales in comparison to the Gamecube and Wii versions.
Although off-topic sort of, I'm curious: pales in comparison, how exactly? the two major let downs I can remember are the converted cutscenes to video files, like with the PS2 port, and the lack of rumble.

Plus, the 1.01 update makes the lighting and graphics noticeably a lot better.

Last edited:
OP
X

Xtreme2damax

Although off-topic sort of, I'm curious: pales in comparison, how exactly? the two major let downs I can remember are the converted cutscenes to video files, like with the PS2 port, and the lack of rumble.

Plus, the 1.01 update makes the lighting and graphics noticeably a lot better.

Lower quality textures, poorer lighting/effects, poor water quality etc....

The PC version is just a poorly done PS2 port and the PS2 version was just a budget port of the Gamecube version.

The PS2/PC versions are missing most of the effects of the Gamecube version in order to run it decently on PS2 hardware. Also Leon on the PS2/PC version is comprised of a lower polygon count.

While the 1.1 lighting patch and Alberts texture patch did improve the PC version somewhat it's still a far cry from Gamecube quality. I also like the realtime cutscenes of the Gamecube/Wii versions.

I've been playing RE4 on my Gamecube, however I thought I would try and play via Dolphin a bit but can't seem to get it to work.

I prefer to play via emulation for the convenience, that I can play a game on my PC and take screen shots while browsing the web at the same time.

Agozer

Funny how the PC version's playing manual has a picture of the GameCube controller in it. :/

EDIT: Man, Albert's patch really makes a world of difference. Quite literally. Any other improvement patches one should get for the PC version (besides this pack and the bloom effects)? I've played through the PS2 version and enjoyed it immensely, so now it's time to switch ports.

Last edited:
OP
X

Xtreme2damax

Funny how the PC version's playing manual has a picture of the GameCube controller in it. :/

EDIT: Man, Albert's patch really makes a world of difference. Quite literally. Any other improvement patches one should get for the PC version (besides this pack and the bloom effects)? I've played through the PS2 version and enjoyed it immensely, so now it's time to switch ports.

I do realize Alberts patch makes a world of difference to the textures however there are still effects present in the Gamecube version that are absent from the PC and PS2 versions.

The things that concern me are high polygonal models (PS2/PC user lower polygon models), realtime cutscenes, absent effects in the PC/PS2 versions.

Some of these things can't be added to the PC version through the likes of mods since it was coded using an engine made for the Gamecube. There have been modding projects announced for realtime cutscenes and they ended up fizzling out as with the lighting/shadows mods.

Yes the bloom mod does make it look a little better/brighter/cleaner but I wish the port was done right the first time and ported from the Gamecube version rather than the downgraded PS2 version.

However I don't think RE4 is working with the latest 64-bit Dolphin, seeing as I tried it with the 32-bit version of Dolphin and was able to get ingame albeit leon and the environment/textures being invisible.

So my image is definitely good, I just don't think it can go ingame with the 64-bit version yet....

Is there a compatibility list for the latest Dolphin 64-bit as I was obviously looking at the wrong list?

Agozer

The stickied threads at the top might have some posts that resemble a compatibility list.