What's new

Replacement for credit/debit card payment?

bcrew1375

Is there a method of payment that can be used anywhere a credit/debit card is used online? It's kind of annoying that just about anything you try to buy online requires a credit card. Alot of places won't accept PayPal.

Acorn

There used to be a company called "Webcertificates" or something like that that would register a master card, and allow you to add money in various ways. They went out of business however, and havn't been replaced yet.

Best solution, get a debit card. Even if you are underage, most banks offer a "Student" or "Young Adult" account that is issued a debit.

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
I've never bought anything online... I've always been scared that my credit information would be stolen.

Toasty

Sony battery
You could always bum a friend into letting you use their card. With how much crap my friends bought through me, you'd think I was the only guy in 500 miles to have a credit card.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Some credit card manufacturers (like Visa) offers you money back if anything were to be stolen. Check their homepage. I think this is the case but I am unsure since I don't use USA Visa.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Credit card companies protect you from fraud. you only need to review your credit card bill and if something is fishy, report it. they can take the money back from the seller, it's called a charge-back. it is the responsibility of the retailer to check that the person paying with the credit card is in fact the legititimate owner of it (signature match), to avoid getting chargebacks.

That being said, I don't fear using my credit card online. As long as it is a reputable store, there is no greater chance of having the number stolen than at a restaurant (do you really know what they do with it when they take your card?) or gasoline pump.

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
In my experience, never trust cooperations... even the almighty credit card companies; http://beta.news.com.

And.. the companies web site that you put your credit card information into, dosent need to be a fraudulent company for your info to fall into the wrong hands. There are many miles of cables that connect you to wherever your sending your info... and many other computers that are connected to these cables. Its almost like a jungle... eewww a CYBER jungle. With crazy lions and elephants, aswell as colorful parrots... and indians too, cannable indians with sharp teeth and Windows XP running on there computers.

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
Are you sure 'creepy' is the right word? Perhaps 'paranoid' or 'observant' would better describe it?... Oh, yeah the whole 'cyber jungle' thing... well, what can i say... I'm Canadian, lol. I am quite an unconventional character, but perhaps i am the only sane person in this crazy world.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
tye stik said:
and indians too, cannable indians

yeah, don't you hate the indians that are so easily canned? they just sit there, saying, "Can me! I'm cannable!!" :D

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
zAlbee, i dont know what your trying to say... i realize my spelling was atrocious, but i typed it in haste. Perhaps my spelling of 'cannibal' led you to think i meant 'canable'... that is to say 'to be canned' like beans or something. I would just like to take this time that indeed I meant 'people eating indians'... because we all know cannibal indians use Windows XP and can beans. And abuse animals. And use Norton Firewall.