What's new

(regular) cheatcodes in Dolphin?

dutchrheeren

I have a question: do (regular) cheatcodes work in Dolphin?
I know in some emulators they have a built-in cheat list (as part of the emulator) that you can activate for some games, but that's not what I mean, I know Dolphin doesn't have that (yet?).

I mean the cheatcodes that are for the actual GameCube itself.
I'm asking because I like to play X-Men: Next Dimension, but to unlock everything, you have to beat everything, and you can't save in Dolphin (yet?). So you'd have to beat everything every time again...

I found two different cheatcodes:
Hold L and press Right, Right, Left, Left, Down, Up, B and
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, A, B, Start, Start
to unlock everything, but when I try them it looks like nothing happens. And nothing extra seems unlocked, but I don't know if it's because I am doing something wrong, or that it just doesn't work in the emulator...

I would just keep trying more to find out, but this particular game has two instances where it freezes for anywhere between 5-10 minutes, after the start screen where you press A and after starting a match (sometimes it doesn't continue at all...). I'm willing to wait 5-10 minutes to start playing, but it's annoying to wait that long just to see if your code has had an effect, and then to find out it didn't... ;)
I hope somebody can tell me, thanks in advance!

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Normal button codes should work without problems, but probably because of the low framerate, the buttons need to be pressed later/earlier etc.
Just try a little bit harder and it should work.

OP
D

dutchrheeren

Thank you for the reply, I am happy to hear that it should work; so now I now that if I just keep trying, at least it won't be for naught. ;)
At least if the codes themselves work of course ;)
But I found them on a lot of sites, all the same, so that shouldn't be the problem. ;)

Thank you again!

OP
D

dutchrheeren

Yeah unfortunately I can't get them to work...
The second cheatcode is sometimes called a "Master Cheatcode" on the forums, whatever that means? I figured it was a first code to input vefore you can use any other cheat.
But part of that cheat is the A button, which confirms a choice in the main menu. And it takes a few seconds to load the new screen, after which you have to push B (which makes you go back again). Could this be what is screwing with the timing to input the code? I tried for ages (with the emulator crashing a few times and 5-10 minutes waiting for it to get to the main menu again) but I can't seem to get it to work...

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
You are most likely screwing up the timing. Then again, codes should work if the emulation of the hardware and especially its input is done properly.

And we all know that GameCube's hardware emulation isn't very good. I'd like to believe that as long as the emulator is good enough to actually boot the game and accept input, codes would work as well.

OP
D

dutchrheeren

Well, I haven't been having any luck with the cheat codes, can't get them to work any way I try (have been trying all weekend).
I haven't been having any luck at all actually: not a week ago it was troublesome to get a match started, but I got to the point where you were actually fighting, but now I can't seem to be able to get a match started at all: the emulator just get stucks after confirming my choice to start a match. At first, I would just have to wait 5-10-15 minutes and it would continue again, but it doesn't anymore, without me having changed any settings..?
But there were two instants when I had to wait for the emulator to get "unstuck": so the second time it isn't getting "unstuck" at all anymore apparantly, but for the first time (after the "new game", or at least that's what I think it is...) if I press the "A" button once, it gets stuck for 5-10 minutes (sometimes forever...) but if I press it repeatedly, it won't get stuck (well, just for a very short while, while I'm pressing the button). Maybe someone with a similar problem finds this useful to know.
Doesn't work for the other "stuck" time, though... Does anybody else have this "stuck" problem? I know it is able to run ingame, not only because it says so on the Dolphin site, but also because it did. ;)

Thank you in advance!