What's new

Question about save files

totatola

Insane... I feel G O O D
Can I make more than 1 save file for the same game, but with different regions?

For example, i load the european version of OoT and then I create a save file, but if i try to load the U.S version of OoT, it will load the save file that I previous created.

Please someone help ( and sorry for the bad english:unsure: )

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
First off, can I ask why exactly would you want to do something like that?

In-game saves do not care what region you use; make an in-game save in one region and the same save is usable should you load the same game, but it has a different region. More often than not anyway. You can only one save file per game (unles we're talking about games that use the MemPak, and unless you backup your older saves somewhere before making a new one).

Savestates save the entire "state" of the emulator the moment you press that button. These kind of saves aren't compatible between games of different region. You can have multiple savestates for a single game.

Last edited:

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
Are you really sure that works?
What I know requiers the save file an identical rom to work. A different region means a different rom, doesn't it?

Clements

Native saves work regardless of region. Developers of games tend not to change the native save format across regions. This applies to pretty much all consoles.

OP
T

totatola

Insane... I feel G O O D
First off, can I ask why exactly would you want to do something like that?

When I open the european version of OoT and load a US save file, in the file choose menu, the name of the file looks weird (seems like the 2 versions of OoT roms have different textures)

GamerAeon

When I open the european version of OoT and load a US save file, in the file choose menu, the name of the file looks weird (seems like the 2 versions of OoT roms have different textures)

That shouldn't be the case the textures are relatively the same it's just the framerate that's varied between NTSC and PAL which are the US and EU versions.:1eyealien

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Native Saves and Savestates in 1.6 use the Internal Rom name.
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA.sra
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA.pj.zip

Native saves in 1.7 use the internal rom name, while states use the GoodN64 Name.
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA.sra
Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (U) (V1.2).pj.zip

RattleMan

Avid Gamer
The problem here, which no one has answered quite exactly, is that both the U and E versions of OoT have the same internal ROM name, thus they use the same native state file (THE LEGEND OF ZELDA.sra, as Squall Lionheart showed above).

One "fix" would be to keep different files for your different regions ("OoT Save U.sra" and "OoT Save E.sra", for example) and rename one THE LEGEND OF ZELDA.sra when you want to use it.