What's new

PSX: Not Quite PS3

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
I think it looks awful. Needs a redesign badly.

Also reminds me too much of the Panasonic 3DO.

And finally, I think Sony is forgetting its own history. The original "PlayStation" was PSX. ("PlayStation X", I'll recount the history of the name if you all want :))

OP
Plisco

Plisco

Sevillian
Tagrineth said:
I think it looks awful. Needs a redesign badly.

Also reminds me too much of the Panasonic 3DO.

And finally, I think Sony is forgetting its own history. The original "PlayStation" was PSX. ("PlayStation X", I'll recount the history of the name if you all want :))

Go on recount the history. I always thought the x bit was a codename of when the playstation was being developed.

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Plisco said:
Go on recount the history. I always thought the x bit was a codename of when the playstation was being developed.

Yeah, you're right. It was a code name that kinda stuck around! But obviously not the official name of the thing. :)

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Yup. Here goes...

Originally the PlayStation started life as Sony's candidate for the SNES CD-ROM. When Sony and Nintendo had a majour disagreement over licensing, though, Sony split and took the hardware with them.

Initially, the standalone they started calling PlayStation was to be a media centre like what's being discussed today, with features like out-of-the-box VCD and SVCD support (or some equivalent thereof), and through a cross-licensing agreement, it would also have had an SNES cartridge slot and nearly full compatibility with SNES games.

However, when this PlayStation was being demoed, Sega was already starting to unveil what would become Saturn (at the time, only one SH-2 and I think a few other things weren't in there yet), and they got wind of Nintendo's unholy alliance with SGI and Rambus... and they freaked out; their PlayStation was sorely outclassed.

So they took it back to design.

They replaced the 16-bit processor with the 32-bit r3400i, and added an external FPU, the GTE. They replaced the mostly-2D video chip with an almost 100% 3D chip, and planned to use that as a marketing point to upset Saturn's continued 2D focus. They also ripped out the multimedia and SNES functions - too expensive with the powerful hardware.

The revised, games-ONLY machine was re-badged the PlayStation X.

(as a result of PSX, Nintendo focused more on serious 3D capability, and Sega panicked - they realised the single 28.6MHz SH-2 could NOT compare to the ~30MHz (not final at the time) r3400i + GTE, so they popped in a second SH-2 and I think they also added VDP2... and they advertised Saturn's difficult 3D capabilities more... but that's what caused Saturn's failure - the PlayStation X drew attention to 3D and initially, Saturn simply couldn't compare)

Stezo2k

S-2K
Tagrineth said:
Yup. Here goes...

Originally the PlayStation started life as Sony's candidate for the SNES CD-ROM. When Sony and Nintendo had a majour disagreement over licensing, though, Sony split and took the hardware with them.

Initially, the standalone they started calling PlayStation was to be a media centre like what's being discussed today, with features like out-of-the-box VCD and SVCD support (or some equivalent thereof), and through a cross-licensing agreement, it would also have had an SNES cartridge slot and nearly full compatibility with SNES games.

However, when this PlayStation was being demoed, Sega was already starting to unveil what would become Saturn (at the time, only one SH-2 and I think a few other things weren't in there yet), and they got wind of Nintendo's unholy alliance with SGI and Rambus... and they freaked out; their PlayStation was sorely outclassed.

So they took it back to design.

They replaced the 16-bit processor with the 32-bit r3400i, and added an external FPU, the GTE. They replaced the mostly-2D video chip with an almost 100% 3D chip, and planned to use that as a marketing point to upset Saturn's continued 2D focus. They also ripped out the multimedia and SNES functions - too expensive with the powerful hardware.

The revised, games-ONLY machine was re-badged the PlayStation X.

(as a result of PSX, Nintendo focused more on serious 3D capability, and Sega panicked - they realised the single 28.6MHz SH-2 could NOT compare to the ~30MHz (not final at the time) r3400i + GTE, so they popped in a second SH-2 and I think they also added VDP2... and they advertised Saturn's difficult 3D capabilities more... but that's what caused Saturn's failure - the PlayStation X drew attention to 3D and initially, Saturn simply couldn't compare)

thanx mate, that info was intresting to read :satisfied

Slougi

DuDe said:
I think it actually looks rather posh. A nice and clean design, just the way that I like it.
Yeah, I think it looks very very cool. Anyone notice that it has a d-sub connector? (PC Monitor)

FAR

First Person Shooter
Playstation is an underdeveloped, technological bullshit from Sony. Only stupid kids buy it for playing GTA3 (which is a cool game, anyway) and "mass" games that worth shit.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Rubbish, the playstation2 is a fine piece of technology, there is nothing wrong with it, it plays dvds psx and ps2 games, whats so bad about that exactly?

People claim the same things about the n64, but blaming hardware for bad games is stupid, besides there are good games on the playstation 2, such as Kingdom Hearts and FFX, gta3, gtavc
wipeout is good too, if bugger all else at least you can use it to watch movies.

nuff said.

Slougi

Of the current consoles the PS2 is the best by far, as it has the best games out for it. I liked Dreamcast better myself, but that did not quite work out for Sega...

FAR

First Person Shooter
I was only suggesting that Sony seriously cheats on people with their big advertising campaigns that promise much more than a gamer gets if he/she is stupid enough to buy it
Nintendo, I think, is fair enough, and you get what you are promised.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Sayargh said:
Rubbish, the playstation2 is a fine piece of technology, there is nothing wrong with it, it plays dvds psx and ps2 games, whats so bad about that exactly?

There's a lot wrong with it ;)

But yes, it has some excellent games... even if it's very VERY badly engineered overall.