What's new

PS3 delayed for europe

Lord Darkstorm

Great sage, equal of heaven
The november release for the ps3 in pal territories has been pushed back to march, allegedly due to a lack of blue laser diodes(you know, the things that they denied they were having any problems with :) ).

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=67341

There'll be no shiny new PS3 under the christmas tree for little jimmy this year...

I don't find this too surprising myself, I was wondering how the hell Sony were going to have a decent number of units to ship to so many territories, with the PAL zones excluded, it might just be possible for them to get decent numbers into japan and the US now.

Allnatural

Yeah, no surprise at all. Despite this, I'll bet they still don't reach their production goals for the end of this year.

Clements

Apparently, Sony have only allocated 500,000 units for launch - 400,000 for the US and 100,000 for Japan.

It was also noted that a HDMI cable (required for HD resolutions) is not bundled with the console, so needs to be bought separately. These cables retail for about £30 or so.

Compounding the Europe delay and the £425 (US$800) asking price, two of the biggest selling games in Europe (whether you like the games or not) Pro Evolution Soccer and FIFA are Xbox 360 exclusive for a year.

Zoomer

Only 400,000 units in the US, interesting. Comparitavely, how many units did the PS2 sell during it's launch ?

It might be a good idea to buy a few PS3's and sell them on eBay if there is a shortage.

.... but then again, no one I know intends to buy one.

Stezo2k

S-2K
Bad news for Sony I recon, those who are waiting are probably going to give up and possibly go for a 360. Quite a bad idea releasing it after christmas too

As for having to buy a cable to run HD resolutions is just daft, we're going to end up paying £500+ for the console, a game and a cable

smegforbrain

Stezo2k said:
Bad news for Sony I recon, those who are waiting are probably going to give up and possibly go for a 360.

Erm, how long as the XBox 360 been out already? And what's the price of the PS3 going to be?

If you really want a PS3, you're going to wait. If you aren't willing to wait, you've already got a XBox 360. :)

A.I.

Banned
PS3 won't come out in Australia until March next year. Sony will have alot of catching up to do to compete with the Xbox 360...

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
The PS3 is going to be a huge flop, what with the cost, the lack of support in europe, Sony is well screwed.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I doubt it. Sony is strong and people know Sony. It probably will bring a huge loss at first, but as the time goes, it will level out.
With strong software such as Final Fantasy, the console simply won't die quietly. But it's too early to note about Blu-ray.
Sony will probably (hopefully) learn a lesson from all of this.

Allnatural

ScottJC said:
The PS3 is going to be a huge flop, what with the cost, the lack of support in europe, Sony is well screwed.
I doubt that. I'm sure they'll lose some marketshare, but they'll keep the top spot in the end.

I'm more curious as to the future of Blu-Ray. Will it be a flop (as I suspect), or will the trojan horse approach work for them?

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Doomulation said:
I doubt it. Sony is strong and people know Sony. It probably will bring a huge loss at first, but as the time goes, it will level out.
With strong software such as Final Fantasy, the console simply won't die quietly. But it's too early to note about Blu-ray.
Sony will probably (hopefully) learn a lesson from all of this.
Need I remind you all of the SegaCD and the 32X, people knew sega and both of those were flops, then there was the N64.. people knew nintendo and it was essentially a flop compared to the might of sony... just because you're on top once or twice doesn't mean you'll keep it forever. The cost is going to be sony's ultimate downfall for their new console... I'd rather upgrade my PC than pay £450 for a games console.

But the only way to know is to wait and see, either of us could be right on this so its pointless to speculate I guess.

revl8er

That Damn Good
I really didnt see Nintendo 64 or Gamecube as a flop. Sure the PSX sold more, but Nintendo has always given it a run. Plus with Nintendo having the handheld market almost completely to itself since the PSP just isnt nearly as good as the DS and SP is what is really keeping them in the game. I dont see Sony losing this one completely though. Sure Nintendo is bound to make a comeback this round with the Wii and will probably dominate the whole thing, but I still see the PS3 ahead of the Xbox 360 in the long run.

Doomulation

ScottJC said:
Need I remind you all of the SegaCD and the 32X, people knew sega and both of those were flops, then there was the N64.. people knew nintendo and it was essentially a flop compared to the might of sony... just because you're on top once or twice doesn't mean you'll keep it forever. The cost is going to be sony's ultimate downfall for their new console... I'd rather upgrade my PC than pay £450 for a games console.

But the only way to know is to wait and see, either of us could be right on this so its pointless to speculate I guess.
Sony gets money from other products as well, best remember that. Sony also has strong software support, still. Analysist also says that Sony will survive.

Games will be a key part of it since that legendary games like The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for Wii and Killzone PS3 for PS3. Especially Wii's Virtual Console will play a key role in Nintendo's struggle (you have to pay for it) but PS3
has HDTV support which Wii doesn't so Wii won't lose without a fight.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Doomulation said:
Sony gets money from other products as well, best remember that. Sony also has strong software support, still. Analysist also says that Sony will survive.
Nintendo will also survive, they own Pokemon heh. [and the DS of course] - I wasn't saying sony wouldn't survive, I was just saying their latest console has all the criteria for a flop.

Doomulation

Yes, yes, both will survive. But the PS3 won't go so bad as you think it will. It might go bad - at least in the beginning, but as the price drops, more people will want it. We haven't heard the last of this console yet. Sony is strong still, and people will want their console.

But PS3 has a 20/30GB SATA Hard Drive that Wii doesn't. Wii only has Flash Memory which is kinda disappointing for me since it's only 512MB (I think).

bcrew1375

Hardware is the wrong thing to be looking at. The average consumer is going to be looking at the selection of games that are available and the price tag. Most people could care less about how fast the processor is, or how much RAM there is, or the amount of storage space. Not to sound like a Nintendo fanboy, but I think Nintendo knows this, and that's why they're still around. Sony and Microsoft seem to be focusing on putting out entertainment centers which have game playing as one of many features. Nintendo on the other hand is focusing purely on games, and by doing so is able to keep the cost of their systems down. PSX and N64, PS2 and Gamecube, PSP and DS, all three times the systems came out with similar price tags, but Nintendo had the lowest price by the end.

Last edited: