What's new

ps2 version differences

sniper_112

Anyone happen to have a list of differences there are between the different releases of the ps2? Not a big deal just wondering if its worth it to update from my version 4 since im getting a hardrive hooked up to it and im going to start using it on the internet with the adapter now. ** off topic: is there a second release of the ps2 as with the ps1/psx?

minkster

I don't think there will be any second releases on the ps2 because they are busy working on other projects such as PSP (a 3D handheld system) and possibly the Playstation3.

Quvack

second release? if you mean like a PSOne equivilant (sp?) then yes there is, it'll be a much smaller version of the ps2, however its lacking the ability to use the HD if I remember correctly, theres a few pics of thie newer version here.

smegforbrain

Yeah, new version is called PStwo, about 1/4th the size of the current model, comes with a network adapter, but apparently no hdd capabilities (which is odd).

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
My manager at EB got to see one in person last week at an EB manager vendor show in Florida. They flew one of the first twelve off the assembly in a jet just so they could see it at the show. Crazy stuff. It's about the size of a Bible and only about an inch thick. Built in network adapter, top loading design, etc but no HDD support as of yet. They *might* make an external USB hdd but it's doubtful this late in the lifecycle of the PS2. SquareEnix has already said that they are looking at alternatives including maybe another console to house the FFXI community since Sony apparently doesn't give a damn about anyone(nothing new >_>).

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Official word from Sony says they are no longer continuing to support the PS2 HDD. The hardcore fans who would use a harddrive already have a PS2. They are not giving a damn about those individuals who need to replace broken PS2s. :(

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
I think he means the differences in the dvd player and the PSOne versions on the PS2, like theres 1.0, 2.10, etc.

zman

Well the thing is Sony don't want to support the Hard Drive capability, but who says a third part can not supply an external usb Hard Drive.

What technology does Sony need to provide in stoping that situation?

How long before new MOD Chips show up on the market to sercomvent the Checksums of the hardware and software?

I give it three months after November which mean by Febuary of 2005 the PStwo should be a hacked hack of the PS2...Which is good for gamers...

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
Azimer said:
They are not giving a damn about those individuals who need to replace broken PS2s. :(

Wait a minute, Sony gives a damn about someone besides themselves and their money? o_O?

smegforbrain

Frankly, I can't blame SOny for not supporting the HDD for PS2. I mean, how many games other than FF11 make use of it?

I really can't think of any off the top of my head. And if they're losing lots of money on it, it makes sense.

OP
sniper_112

sniper_112

thanks for the screens and the info. not that id have any reason to get one, but im kinda dissapointed in the PStwo, i mean not even a new shape, thats boring lol. anyway about sony giving up on the hdd, that sorta seems to be sony's thing with past products.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
yes ps2 does have different console revisions to a certain extent
for example, the new SCPH-5xxxx series PS2s no longer have i.LINK ports and have a built in IR reciever for the new DVD remote, sony claims its 60% quieter (which is kinda true) and that it uses 20% less power (but i haven't, and won't waste my time testing that)
but there is two answers to this question, mine doesn't really answer it much, but hey...........ah, whatever, i'm just trying to pass time

blizz

I'll probably pick up the UK PSTwo when it's chipable since my old PS2 is buggered.

It'd be great if Microsoft could do something similar for the X-Box....

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
Gran Turismo 4 was supposed to have HDD support but it was one of the features that Poliphany tossed. GT4 was looking like a nice title too. No online, no downloadable content, half the cars and tracks got canned, the list goes on and on. Nice of them to pull a Fable on consumers so they could work on their PSP port of Gran Turismo huh? Gotta love capitalism.