What's new

Project64 site redesign

Iconoclast

change the colours of the N and i don't think they can touch you.....
You mean, nobody will recognize it? Or did you mean something else?

As for nobody recognizing it, that's the point! That N logo is not colored like the one from the Zelda ROM; it's coloration was changed greatly by using the Direct64 plugin.

If you meant the 4 bit version I made...hmm, I don't think they can tell I stole it from the ROM either way (forgetting my confussion, of course:p). I mean, Google Images for: n64 OR "nintendo 64" logo, and see all the results you get. They're all in JPEG format, which has bad quality, so that's why I stole it from the ROM, but still looks similar.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
no i mean,... if you change the colour, for all they know, you made it yourself,.. but... i also have heard that Shiggy has no problem with Emulation and high res projects as long as you own the original cartridge, he is a gamer himself after all ;) he probably plays project 64 at home with the high res projects :D

SWAT_Marc

Ind. Design Student
Yours is fits great, it is more just against the massive full on gfx when you can not read the thing well that I am against. As long as the text is the main focus that is what counts.

Thank you! I said that because you asked to have the same colour scheme than the BigN Logo.

Ok, then I'll wait for the results!

Samurai Snack

PJ64 Cheat Master
change the colours of the N and i don't think they can touch you.....

I tried editing the 4 bit N64 logo in MSPaint but it's 4 bit so you really don't have many colours you can use without it becoming gray...I was going to use red, cyan and black in it but cyan just shows up as blue.

Iconoclast

I tried editing the 4 bit N64 logo in MSPaint but it's 4 bit so you really don't have many colours you can use without it becoming gray...I was going to use red, cyan and black in it but cyan just shows up as blue.
That happens because I optimized the GIF with a palette containing only five colors: Red, Dark Blue, Green and Yellow. The fifth 'color' is the transparent color, a magenta color (#FF00FF).

If you try to use any color not in the palette, that will always happen. Instead, try this. Open the image with MS Paint, save it as a 24 bit Bitmap (.bmp), refresh the image by opening the BMP version, and now try. This will destroy the palette optimization method.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
i have some ideas that i think could make a great logo, but no time to do it properly until end of next week or so.. hopefully this can be kept open for a couple more weeks :p

i have a question about fonts aswell.. seeing as the text will be very important part of this, is it ok to use a copyright font or does that have to be free or self-made? can it be a problem, is basically what im saying... im guessing corporate logos cant just use copyright fonts :/

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
i've never heard of anyone getting sued over a Font smiff.

and i think if that day ever came, it would be the start of my rebellion.

Iconoclast

i have a question about fonts aswell.. seeing as the text will be very important part of this, is it ok to use a copyright font or does that have to be free or self-made? can it be a problem, is basically what im saying... im guessing corporate logos cant just use copyright fonts :/
Yes, it could be a problem. If you're talking about a font you have to download yourself to use or something like that (and if it came with your system, then it should be legal to use, or else, why would they put it there?), then it can be a problem if the users viewing the site don't have that font installed.

If you don't want your site's font to be substituted for Times New Roman for those who can't view the font, you might pick what I like to call a universal font. When I use this phrase, I mean a font that every computer comes with.

Examples of these fonts are:
  • Arial
  • Courier New
  • fixedsys
  • Lucida Sans Unicode
  • Monotype Corsiva
  • MS Sans Serif
  • Times New Roman

Last edited:
OP
Z

zilmar

Emulator Developer
Yes, it could be a problem. If you're talking about a font you have to download yourself to use or something like that (and if it came with your system, then it should be legal to use, or else, why would they put it there?), then it can be a problem if the users viewing the site don't have that font installed.

If you don't want your site's font to be substituted for Times New Roman for those who can't view the font, you might pick what I like to call a universal font. When I use this phrase, I mean a font that every computer comes with.

Examples of these fonts are:
  • Arial
  • Courier New
  • fixedsys
  • Lucida Sans Unicode
  • Monotype Corsiva
  • MS Sans Serif
  • Times New Roman

The font used for the logo will probaly not be used for the text, since it will end up being an image at the end it does not rquire the end user to have it installed so it will get around that issue. But if the font is not a standard font it might still be copyrighted and not have permission to use it.

Iconoclast

Oh, I see what you mean, now.

If it's copyrighted, then I don't think it'll be illegal to have it in an image. I mean, I'm not an expert on copyright laws, but the font was designed for that sort of thing. It would be illegal for the programs to use them in that way if it were bad.

apzrman1

i got some. very basic, just made with paintshop (i'm a n00b at paintshop).
(this 1 was for fun)
controller1.jpg

PJ64warpedcontrollers3.jpg

(alt)
PJ64warpedcontrollers4.jpg

(1 icon so far)
PJ64warpedcontrollersicon1.jpg

OuT

hi everybody! new comer here, 1st post!
I quickly made one, take it as it ;) very simple and clean, but not enough customized, I know!

test60xg3.png

font is Segoe UI (included in both Vista and Office 2007), I adjusted a bit characters spacing, and finally adjusted elements positioning with Paint

icon preview:
48hy3.png
32tk8.png
16he4.png

all files, including sources

credits: Office 2007, Paint, IrfanView, Paint.NET with ico/cur plugin

Samurai Snack

PJ64 Cheat Master
Here's a modified N64 logo I made, I tried to make the colours in the style of how the PJ64 site looks right now.

Iconoclast

ouch my eyes x_X anti-alias plzzz
It's probably the method he saved the image in.

JPEG image format sucks. Why do you all see blurry/off-color pixels in your image? It's the format, and almost everywhere I go, people either use JPEG or GIF. Anyone ever tried PNG (some people, I see)? Try saving this image in JPEG or GIF without screwing it up, and I'll be amazed.

TitleShadowAlpha.png

I know some old I.E. browsers don't support PNG, but any computer that does come with those, probably is completely incapable of N64 emulation.

OuT

IE 7 supports PNG transparency quite well, but that's not the case for previous IE versions...

this aliasing can also be due to a not-so-good outline selection... simply try the "magic wand" of Paint.NET, you'll be amazed! and the most important, save in a format that support alpha channel (transparency) ;)

Iconoclast

IE 7 supports PNG transparency quite well, but that's not the case for previous IE versions...

this aliasing can also be due to a not-so-good outline selection... simply try the "magic wand" of Paint.NET, you'll be amazed! and the most important, save in a format that support alpha channel (transparency) ;)
PNG is the only image format that supports the alpha color channel that is optimized to be used in a web page. Many tools have this Magic Wand feature, including but not limited to Jasc software. No magic wand tool is perfect, and the one on paint.net doesn't let you remove backgrounds with an advanced pixel Tolerance feature.

I.E. also has problems with proper GIF animation speed, for those using frames with speeds faster than 10 jiffies (0.1 seconds) per frame. Take my avatar as an example. Try it out with I.E. 6 or lower and then FireFox. Notice the difference? As for I.E. 7, I know alpha transparency is fixed, but I'm not sure about the GIF animation speed.