What's new

Project64 1.6 runs on Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
the definition of the word emulation predates what we are calling it today,

the real definition is as listed on wikipedia.

the definition used in the regards of pj64 is different to the original definition but loosely related.

cooliscool
STFU

Trotterwatch, your moderator status is given to you on the grounds you respect the rules as much as any other member here. you are not above the rules, and by supporting that post cooliscool made is saying you are supporting the breaking of the rules.

the fact is, the developers of Wine are WRONG, and are clearly basing thier definition of emulation on the incorrect definition of a program that emulates hardware or a system specification.

wine is running windows games on linux, therefore its an Emulator. you can argue it till your blue in the face, but your wrong, its emulation, clear cut, simple, end of story.

as far as i care, the moderation here is getting worse, especially with certain people not to mention names, believing they are above the rules.

its actually about time Martin did a review of moderators and their behaviour on here, as this place has definitely fallen from the list of forums that i have listed as great places to be.

i must say though, at least certain mods are willing to apologise when they are in the wrong, rather then full on support rule breakers.

squall_leonhart

Well i agree with that, he used to be so placid too :plain: but now thinks he is the wikpedia on emulation =]

Btw Squall this is a quote from the wiki :

I suggest you read this and stop making a fool out of yourself : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WINE

Unless of course you think that the people that wrote it were morons.

Anyway on topic

Nice find that in runs in Linux, albeit using wine :)

obviously they are morons then, you can argue the name all you like, but it allows you to use windows apps in linux, there fore its an emulator, you can't get more clear cut definition on emulation then that.

PJ64 is a hardware emulator
PCSX is a hardware emulator

Wine is a software emulator.

Last edited:

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
the fact is, the developers of Wine are WRONG,

Right, you know better then. You know more than the 4 + users here that have stated otherwise. More than wikpedia, more than the wine devs, more than the world......

All praise squall_leonhart, the man that knows everything about emulation and its category's. Everyone else is wrong.

So i give up, congrats squall :baaa:

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

yeah, i obviously do know better, do the developers of wine happen to be american because that would further enforce my point that they are morons,.. what with thier retardation of the english dictionary.

Jabo

Emulator Developer
I think everyone is arguing over semantics here. An emulator by definition basically tries to "emulate" a target abstract thing, or be as close to it as possible. This term is usually associated with hardware unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it.

If I was on the WINE team I would try to distance myself from the term emulator as much as possible as well as a result, when people hear emulator they think about things like interpreters and recompilers which WINE is the farthest thing from in the world. It's an implementation of win32 api on linux, it does no conventional "emulating" as we would use the term, it's more of a win32 wrapper.

But that being said, there is certain portions of WINE that are "emulating" the win32 api, things such as undocumented features or even bugs in the APIs. Things that aren't part of merely implementing a specific API for unix but simulating how it would work under windows -- which is the ultimate goal, they are trying to simulate or provide compatibility with the windows API's at the end of the day.

You can differentiate this from libc for example, which is a cross platform library, every platform has quirks in libc, there is not one "master" platform like there is in win32. WINE can't argue with Microsoft on the right way to implement win32 api calls, they have to follow them ("simulate", "emulate", whatever) them closely.

Again it's semantics, it depends on which definition of emulator you use, the dictionary terminology or the generally accepted "scene" definition which is what emutalk should probably be using.

Sooo who will get PJ running on Mac OSX? That's what I'm really interested in, if you get it running on HP-UX you have way too much time on your hands.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

i was actually thinking to define it as a wrapper myself, but chose to define it as an emulator of sorts.

its all up to interpretation of the definition, thats all.

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
its all up to interpretation of the definition, thats all.

Thats the main reason i joined in this debate.

Like in your case you chose to define it as a emulator of sorts, in mine i decided it isn't.

I only disliked how you claimed all those people that said it wasn't a emulator were morons who knew nothing of what they were talking about.

Really in Wines case its unclassifiable. It kind of is a emulator but in many ways isn't. Everyones going to have there own take on it, so why don't we all just agree to disagree eh :evil:

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

Edited this post as I the person concerned has already seen it I'm sure, and well me posting sweary words probably isn't helpful or a good example.

Squall, I suggest you look back on some prior posts and try to acknowledge why some people have been a little perturbed at your attitude. I will freely admit my attitude of late hasn't been the best, but to be honest I don't have the patience at the moment to deal with people who are petulant and argumentative.

As it is I'm a rather friendly person most of the time and often help out people a lot via PM. Recently this has mostly concerned people complaining about you insulting them with absoloutely no provocation. Ergo you merely you disagreed with them on a matter so jumped in with insults from the get go.

Last edited:

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
yeah, i obviously do know better, do the developers of wine happen to be american because that would further enforce my point that they are morons,.. what with thier retardation of the english dictionary.

Wonderful job totally changing the subject, once again you derail a discussion to start arguments (and yeah, what you said totally proves that all Americans are morons.. conclusively!).

For fun, let's count the number of grammatical errors in your post.

1) Never capitalizing the first word in the sentence.
2) American is not capitalized.
3) No comma after "American".
4) Comma splice after the second "better".
5) What the hell is ",.." supposed to mean?
6) "Thier" - can be dismissed as a typo, fair enough.
7) "English" is not capitalized.

From other posts:

1) Using "your" in place of the contraction "you're" (you are).
2) Other issues with contractions, like #1.
3) Almost endless sentence structure problems.

How ironic, that all of the problems with your posts directly correlate to your knowledge of the English language.

Also, I absolutely do not understand how Trotterwatch as a moderator is not allowed to have opinions about members on a board which he helps run. Him forming logical opinions is part of him making decisions on how to help run it. Knowing Trotterwatch as a very level headed individual, I'd imagine his opinion about you is not ill-founded, nor did he base it on my post.

Now, I can't say this enough: please, for the love of your dignity, drop the know-it-all front; it's not working very well.

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
DO NOT!

* Ask where to download ROMs, ISOs or BIOSes
* Provide direct links to ROMs, ISOs or BIOSes.
* Provide links to websites that link to ROMs, ISOs or BIOSes.
* Ask how to rip ISOs.
* Request the source code of an emulator.
* Post in any language other than English.
* Insult people, advertise or spam.
* Write in CAPITAL LETTERS.
* Double post.
* Ask to be a moderator.
* Pretend to be a moderator, or act as though you are a moderator.
* Ask to be a betatester.
* Ask when a new version of an emulator will be released.
* Ask for status updates of an emulator.
* Revive dead topics, if a thread is several months old there is no good reason to drag it back up.
By dragging racism into the discussion, calling hard-working free software developers morons and publicly undermining the authority of the moderation here (even if it was harsher than the occasion called for) it's my opinion that the people you're criticizing aren't the only ones here who consider themselves above the rules. I'm not telling you to change - I'm not in a position to do that, but I honestly think you would find this a more pleasant place to be if you treated people more pleasantly.

Now, back to the discussion. You act as though there can only be one single definition behind a word. In the context of an emulation site such as this one, it typically means a program that emulates the hardware in a computer, which Wine certainly is not. Depending upon how broad you want your definition to be, just about anything (or even anyone) that does the same thing as something else qualifies as an emulator, but that's just not what most people are talking about here, or even in many more general computing forums.

As a side note, I don't think the people who wrote Wine are the same people who botched up the English dictionary - even if they are American. I have several American friends who also weren't responsible for the inconsistencies in the English language! Go figure! Now, in the interest of not turning myself into a hypocrite and overstepping my bounds, I'm not going to say anything further. Though I know I'm guilty of getting a little belligerent at times, my intention is not to argue with you - just to have a civil discussion.

angrylion

How unfriendly you are, squall_leonhart! Calling Wine team morons because they don't share your definition of emulation (which isn't strictly defined anywhere, anyway) is a senseless way to behave, indeed. Also as for your reasoning:
you can argue it till your blue in the face, but your wrong, its emulation, clear cut, simple, end of story.
There's a Russian adage about this kind of argumentation: "There are two opinions: one is mine, another is wrong".

Last edited:

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Chill out, some of you guys are acting like retards.

The two most common definitions says Wine is not emulation, nuff said. Sure, the definition is how we use it today, but we can't just redefine things because people who don't know keep trying to change it. So, no, its not emulation. If you'd ever interpreted how the source code works, it would be very quickly visible there is no emulation work going on - just some UNIX code for Windows functions, and some rewritten windows libraries.

Quit acting like retarded babies and get over the word games, really.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.