What's new

Project 64 in Vista RTM

X-Fi6

OK, I installed Project 64 onto my MSDN (NOT the non-working Bill Gates) x86 Vista RTM build 6000 computer.

Project 64 works absolutely fine. In fact, everything works absolutely fine. I have an ATi card. ATi can make some pretty sweet cards, but when it comes to drivers they absolutely suck--what more, ATi's Vista drivers are still beta and don't even support or work well with OpenGL.

Before, when I had XP MCE, I used the Omega Drivers. When ATi cards combine with the Omega Drivers they totally own nVidia. Unfortunately, the guy who works on those drivers hasn't started on the Vista drivers, most likely because they're still in its beta stage.

Anyways, since I don't have the Omega Drivers and I have a crappy x1600 card from Connect3d (one of the absolute worst card makers in the world) that's always been giving me trouble, Glide64 Wonder Plus doesn't work with Project 64. :( And that's a real shame for me. I've always absolutely loved Glide with Gonetz's hacked version of Hacktarux's glide wrapper. Together, they gave me the best performance and graphics and nearly perfect frame buffer emulation (still had trouble with Yoshi's Story and Mario Tennis, of course).

I've never liked Rice. It's always been crashing on me (most likely because I use PJ64 and an ATi card) and is really slow on my computer. So, with Glide and Rice crossed off the list, I have to use Jabo. Again, Jabo doesn't work well. Jabo's plugin v1.6 is really buggy (so lots of times the textures are screwed up) and v1.5.2 has too many emulation errors and is really fuzzy and old and stuff.

So, I'm wondering, is there anything I can do to get better Vista drivers, or to make PJ64 work better?

Last edited:

mudlord

Banned
For the OpenGL problems, I think this might explain a fair bit of why OpenGL support is so lacking and almost non-existant...

As for the DirectX problems, I have no idea, unfortunately.

OP
X-Fi6

X-Fi6

I'm pretty sure the DirectX problems are also caused by the terrible drivers.

OP
X-Fi6

X-Fi6

OK, what you just showed me is why I think OpenGL is not supported in ATi's drivers. However, look at this:

digg - Microsoft finally enables OpenGL Windows Vista support

*Takes deep breath* Oh, thank god. Just like I thought: there was no problem with my Vista--according to the article, Microsoft fixed the problem (and I have Vista RTM--the same version of Vista as what'll be in stores, which means I have the fixed version of Vista). The reason why the ATi drivers never supported OpenGL was because they never got an update on it--but now that Microsoft has fixed the problem they can continue on OpenGL. So, I'm just gonna wait until ATi comes out with the next batch of drivers and maybe OpenGL will work--maybe. But the Omega Drivers still absolutely rock over the stock sets.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Microsoft didn't fix any problem, there was never a problem,

the OpenglICD didn't support Desktop composition sharing (aero glass is automatically disabled when an older opengl icd loads.)

the new icd's don't disable desktop composition
this was just a whole bunch of BS that was posted from that spam heaven, TheInquirer

Last edited: