What's new

Preformance on the Asus Eee Box EB1501

talker

I'm wondering what kind of performance I will get with this computer using PJ64?!
The Asus EeeBox specifications are:
- Nvidia Ion (shared memory)
- Intel Atom 330 1.6 Ghz Dualcore
- 2 GB ram installed.

Will I have good in-game speed (minimal - no hick-ups)?
Will the game have video issues? If so, what types would I get?
And last, what kind of OS should I be running (Xp og Win 7)?

Looking forward for some good answers.

Toasty

Sony battery
That should be adequate for N64 emulation. (It'll also play HD video like a champ when properly configured.)

My somewhat uninformed guess is that it should run Windows 7 acceptably. (AFAIK RAM is the biggest issue for W7, and 2GB should be enough as long as you're not doing anything else that requires a lot of RAM.)

Clements

Only possible issue is that certain high requirement games like Goldeneye 007 might not run as smoothly due to the Atom processor not being particularly fast (as it was designed for simply browsing the web and such). The NVIDIA ION graphics are more than enough, you'll have no real problems there. I've played several simpler titles like Super Smash Bros on a netbook with worse specs (single core Atom, Intel GMA, 1GB RAM, XP) and it worked fine. You should be fine running Windows 7 on that setup should you wish to.

OP
talker

talker

This sounds great guys! Thanks for the help.

Clements:
What about Banjo-Tooie and Zelda MM?
Would they play fine or would I find it laggy?
I know (or think) those two games need some higher requirement?

Clements

Zelda: MM has higher than average requirements since it uses the expansion pak (8MB instead of 4MB) and uses lots of effects (Motion blur, screen shrink). I would say that MM's higher requirements are more to do with having a video card good enough to support these particular effects. The NVIDIA ION should do the trick. I'd expect the Atom to hold up in this game.

Same with Banjo-Tooie really. The jigsaw sections are probably the most intensive effect in the game, and you should be able to get through those with the right plugin and settings. Again, I doubt the Atom will have problems with this game, other than some of the known problems that occur with this game that are known to occur for everybody (certain stability issues).

Another game you may have issues with is Perfect Dark in some situations. Overall, the game appears more optimised than Goldeneye, but the requirements can get high depending on what's happening on the screen, like an explosion or an N-Bomb. I think its a try and see thing, it might not be so bad.

OP
talker

talker

To bad I don't have the opportunity to try this machine before I buy it. I haven't seen any videos at youtube of people using it either.

But anyway, thanks for the help. Now I'm one step closer to buying it. =P