What's new

Possibly upgrading my vid card again..

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
FFXI just isn't running as fast as I'd like it too and I have about 200 bucks max to spend on a card. I'm thinking about upgrading to a 128 mb nVidia FX 5900 XT. I've never had a nVidia card so I'm not sure, is this a stripped down FX 5900 or is it like the "Ultra" version of it? Better yet, anybody have any suggestions as to what to get? I'm leaning towards getting an MSI card since that's who made my mobo and I've been hearing great things about their video cards.

Clements

5950 Ultra > 5900 Ultra > 5900 > 5900 XT

The 5900 XT is like a 5900 SE, so is the least powerful version of the 5900. The thing is good value for money for someone upgrading from say, a GeForce4, and is ahead of the 9600 Pro, but not by a whole lot so wouldn't be a massive boost over what you have which is a brilliant card anyway. If you want a significant increase in speed, go for 5900 Ultra/9800 Pro or better.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
How is a 9600 Pro running too slow? o_O; Jeebus. Lay off the graphics settings there, hun... lower your AF, AA, or Resolution a notch...

OP
GogoTheMimic

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
My settings in FFXI are as follows:
Overlay graphics in FFXI are 1024x768
Background resolution is 1024x1024
Low texture compression
Compressed on screen maps
Enabled bump mapping
Smooth environment animation
All shadows enabled
Whatever the smoothest ingame setting for character animation.

I'd like to have XI running at full sail but it's not a pretty site on my card. Would it be better to get a 256mb card or a 128mb? I know in the future it might a difference but as of now, what are the advantages? This upgrade is about a month away if I don't have any problems with my car between now and then. I'm also thinking about getting a 2.8E GHz P4 HT with 1MB L2 Cache, newegg has an OEM one for $184. I'm not sure if I want to grab that CPU while newegg has them or to upgrade my video card. I know if I wait a little bit both prices will go down but newegg may not have that CPU anymore. *shrug* Just curious as to what you guys think.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
well, since PCI-E is coming up next, don't get something fancy, IMHO the 5900 XT/SE is a great card. the clock and memory are easily raised to standard 5900 levels and it KILLS the 9800SE which should be its competitor even though its down there in the dirt with the 5600 (yes that is what the benchmarks have proven) but you already have a *GREAT* card why upgrade now? and DO NOT BUY A PRESCOTT P4, or at least not till LGA-775 sees the crack of dawn when they push out its hidden 64-bit powers as they have higher voltage requirements and run alot hotter, get a 3.0C if you can afford it or a 2.8C, but for now lay off prescott

OP
GogoTheMimic

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
I'm more than happy with my mobo right now so I'm limited to what that can support, that's why I'm thinking about these upgrades.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
I say go for the XT line of ATI cards, i'm quite satisfied with my 9600XT, but if you have the cash to burn, hop up to a 9800XT.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
sheik124 said:
well, since PCI-E is coming up next, don't get something fancy, IMHO the 5900 XT/SE is a great card. the clock and memory are easily raised to standard 5900 levels and it KILLS the 9800SE which should be its competitor even though its down there in the dirt with the 5600 (yes that is what the benchmarks have proven) but you already have a *GREAT* card why upgrade now? and DO NOT BUY A PRESCOTT P4, or at least not till LGA-775 sees the crack of dawn when they push out its hidden 64-bit powers as they have higher voltage requirements and run alot hotter, get a 3.0C if you can afford it or a 2.8C, but for now lay off prescott

You idiot, the 9800SE is the BUDGET version of the 9800! It has half the frigging pipelines disabled! It's like a 9500 Non-Pro...

Compare the 5900 to a 9800XT... there's little comparison for the most part, and if you compare actual DX9 (pixel shaders 2.0) performance (Tomb Raider AOD, 3DMark03, Aquamark) the ATi part ruins the nVidia.

Alchy

While it's true that the 9800SE has half the pipelines, you can softmod most cards back up to the full number of pipelines. If you're on a budget it's a cheap solution...

OP
GogoTheMimic

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
I think I'm going to switch over to nVidia but I'm not sure. Seems like it's better for emulation plus it seems most games are sponsered by nVidia and junk but I don't know. *shrug*

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
GogoTheMimic said:
I think I'm going to switch over to nVidia but I'm not sure. Seems like it's better for emulation plus it seems most games are sponsered by nVidia and junk but I don't know. *shrug*

Ironically, some of the seemingly "Sponsored by nVidia" games (Need For Speed Underground, for example) have issues on nVidia cards (in this case, NFSU has massive lighting problems on nVidia cards, which ATi's offerings don't exhibit).

sheik124

Emutalk Member
Tagrineth said:
You idiot, the 9800SE is the BUDGET version of the 9800! It has half the frigging pipelines disabled! It's like a 9500 Non-Pro...

Compare the 5900 to a 9800XT... there's little comparison for the most part, and if you compare actual DX9 (pixel shaders 2.0) performance (Tomb Raider AOD, 3DMark03, Aquamark) the ATi part ruins the nVidia.
you blithering idiot! i was comparing it to the fucking 5900 SE/XT and FYI that is nVidia's value offering, and i said that in benchmarks, it, the 5700 in all its flavors, and the 5600 ultra tap danced all over its god damned face, and the 9600SE is an even bigger piece of crap, wallowing down there with the 9200-level

OP
GogoTheMimic

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
Tagrineth said:
Ironically, some of the seemingly "Sponsored by nVidia" games (Need For Speed Underground, for example) have issues on nVidia cards (in this case, NFSU has massive lighting problems on nVidia cards, which ATi's offerings don't exhibit).

That is ironic. Right now the main reason I'm wanting to switch to nVidia is because that's what MSI makes and I know MSI makes great video cards, I know they make great mobos, I love mine. :) Thing is, now I'm actually starting to get used to ATI stuff. :/

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
sheik124 said:
you blithering idiot! i was comparing it to the fucking 5900 SE/XT and FYI that is nVidia's value offering, and i said that in benchmarks, it, the 5700 in all its flavors, and the 5600 ultra tap danced all over its god damned face, and the 9600SE is an even bigger piece of crap, wallowing down there with the 9200-level

Whoops, misread. Fucking nomenclature. It's so awkward seeing 5900 XT and thinking 'It's the BUDGET variant!'... versus 9800XT being top end.

Anyway, yes. The 9800SE, as is, is ass, just like the 9500 non-Pro was. Now, shall we look instead at the 9500 Pro, 9600XT, and 9800 non-Pro, all of which are similar to but a hell of a lot better than the 9800SE instead?

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Tagrineth said:
Whoops, misread. Fucking nomenclature. It's so awkward seeing 5900 XT and thinking 'It's the BUDGET variant!'... versus 9800XT being top end.

Gotta love shabby marketing tricks. The budget types think its more powerful, so are willing to pay more for it, and the technical types will buy the higher end one anyways. Result? Everybody pays more :happy:

sheik124

Emutalk Member
Tagrineth said:

Anyway, yes. The 9800SE, as is, is ass, just like the 9500 non-Pro was. Now, shall we look instead at the 9500 Pro, 9600XT, and 9800 non-Pro, all of which are similar to but a hell of a lot better than the 9800SE instead?
i have to agree with you on that one 100%, when i first saw the 5900XT i thought it was the uber variant of the card, sorry if i seemed a bit rude in my last post, but hey, its true

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Tagrineth said:

Unfortunately, I saw some benchmarks showing that a Radeon 9600 Pro compared to a Radeon 9500 Pro is basicly like a Pentium 4 1.7 ghz compared to an Athlon at 1.6 ghz, it often is slower than the Radeon 9500 Pro, even when overclocked :(.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
RJARRRPCGP said:
Unfortunately, I saw some benchmarks showing that a Radeon 9600 Pro compared to a Radeon 9500 Pro is basicly like a Pentium 4 1.7 ghz compared to an Athlon at 1.6 ghz, it often is slower than the Radeon 9500 Pro, even when overclocked :(.

Durr. The 9500 Pro was an overpowered card, they left all 8 pipelines from the 9700/Pro intact. ATi technically should never have released the 9500 Pro... good on them for phasing it out quickly after the 9600 was available.

The 9600 line only has four pipelines, no matter what.

::hugs her 9500 Pro::