What's new

possible to speed up Glide 64?

Iconoclast

Depends on the game you're playing for one thing.
Also depends on your system. If you got some specs and info about your computer to post here, that would help determination of this answer.

I'm sure legends got a nice set of preferences for various Glide64 wrappers as well. ;)

OP
Van Halen Man

Van Halen Man

Well lets see here:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64X2 Duel core processor 3600+ 2.0 GHz
Memory: about 1 gig
gfx card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE 256 MB memory

that is all I can think of to post

edit: Oh yeah, and the game I need it for is Perfect Dark (for the IR scanner)

Last edited:
OP
Van Halen Man

Van Halen Man

Yeah sorry about that, I didnt see it there for some reason. oops

Edit: heh, something keeps happening while I am typing my edit or post and then I have to edit it. HEH

Legend

Well, first make sure what you're using is from my post. Second, enabled HWFB. Third, make sure your not using any "wrapper" filters and a res. below that of 1280x1024. Fourth, try using CF=2. If still unhappy, you can use Jabo's 1.6 (or perferably Jabo's 1.7), you'll get better FPS with FB effects but not the accuracy or all the FB effects supported as with Glide64. Try 1964. Watch your opengl settings as they also will affect your performance. Or wait to see if Mudlord can optimize this a little. :icecream:

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
I guess, you want special effects in Perfect Dark, like spycam or IR scanner, run faster, because everything else should work with decent speed on your system. Well, first, be sure that "motion blur" and "hardware frame buffer emulation" options are enabled. If it's still slow, click "wrapper" button, and in wrapper's settings enable "use framebuffer objects". Use 1964 for Perfect Dark.

mudlord

Banned
okay, I'm back....

Van Halen Man, try the attached wrapper. It was compiled with MSVC2005 with maximum speed optimizations (its a optimizing compiler, just like ICC). Also, several tweaks were done on the inner loops of the texture/FBO HWFBE copying techniques (no texture cache changes were done, since ziggy now fixed the memory leaks completely)....

For this to work best, you must enable "use framebuffer objects". This was tested with

- Mario Kart 64 (full speed "read-every frame")
- Banjo-Kazooie (same as above)
- 1080 Snowboarding (makes a large difference...See for yourself...)
- Bomberman 64 (same as above)

Last edited:

A.I.

Banned
Help! I tried this plugin and i got missing or invalid plugin and then when when i put back my original glide dl i got the same message!

mudlord

Banned
okay, for this wrapper, you must have the newest MSVC2005 runtimes installed (the SP1 ones, not the "normal one"

mudlord

Banned
Well, you could try removing the plugin and its INI file, and then recopying them back. The wrapper uses the Windows Registry for settings, so you need to find a "GlideWrapper" registry key, and delete it, if you want the settings back.

A.I.

Banned
As a Noob where bout is it in the registry? And i also reinstalled glide wrapper and deleted glide dll and ini and replaced it with a back up and all is well until i tried to open wrapper option in graphics and i cant open it!!! Also when i exit full screen it crashes!

Last edited:

mudlord

Banned
As a Noob where bout is it in the registry?

It should be in either one of the following branches:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
HKEY_CURRENT_USER

And i also reinstalled glide wrapper and deleted glide dll and ini and replaced it with a back up and all is well until i tried to open wrapper option in graphics and i cant open it!!! Also when i exit full screen it crashes!

Oooo..Weird.

Never encountered probs like that. Though, I haven't tried testing full-screen changing with the optimized build...

A.I.

Banned
It should be in either one of the following branches:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Oooo..Weird.

Never encountered probs like that. Though, I haven't tried testing full-screen changing with the optimized build...

No, that's with glide wonder++!!! I deleted the optimized plugin.

And you know what is even weirder? Fbe is working!!!

Edit: Where do i get the latest MSVC2005 runtimes and how and where do i install it?

Last edited:

Legend

okay, I'm back....
Van Halen Man, try the attached wrapper. It was compiled with MSVC2005 with maximum speed optimizations (its a optimizing compiler, just like ICC). Also, several tweaks were done on the inner loops of the texture/FBO HWFBE copying techniques (no texture cache changes were done, since ziggy now fixed the memory leaks completely)....
For this to work best, you must enable "use framebuffer objects". This was tested with
- Mario Kart 64 (full speed "read-every frame")
- Banjo-Kazooie (same as above)
- 1080 Snowboarding (makes a large difference...See for yourself...)
- Bomberman 64 (same as above)

Hey,

Would you recommend this build over your last release here:

"New Windows build (Based on ziggy's version 11 of his Glide64/wrapper Linux port):
* Added support for 32-bit textures
* Depth bias is completely fixed
Built with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005"

I'll probably not use FBO's as there is more accuracy with it off but overall should this build simply be better than before (speed increases - nothing sacrificed). If that's the case, then this should definetly go in the Glide64 forums. Also, is it still based on ver. 11 also of Ziggy's or his latest? I'll go try it out none the less. Thanks.

Last edited:

mudlord

Banned
Hey,

Would you recommend this build over your last release?

I'll probably not use FBO's as there is more accuracy with it off but overall should this build simply be better than before (speed increase - nothing sacrificed). Is it still based on ver. 11 also of Ziggy's? I'll go try it out none the less. Thanks.

Yes, I would, namely due to the speed tweaks. The main changes this one has over the last one are:

* Tweaks to the texture copying based on info from NVIDIA on optimal texture formats
* Much more aggressive compiler optimizations (basically, the optimizations are turned right up on full speed optimizations, with threading/fiber optimizations, as well as link-time code generation [excludes PGO unfortunately, didnt have time to profile it].)
* Changed the wrapper to use a multithreaded runtime DLL

This is still based on ziggy's latest public code. Its true that accuracy is better with FBOs off, but personally, the main difference with it is with Resident Evil 2 (and there is no simple way to write into the depth buffer using framebuffer objects. Ziggy's method overcomes this,).

Basically, no sacrifices are made. No tex cache changes are made, which means memory usage should be fine and it should fluctuate and not leak at all, since I didn't touch the texture caching code at all.