What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Please help me retexture bmp files.

Datadayne

Ok, befor I posted this, I did try to find answers on google and other related forums. But no luck.

So how do I get my retextured bmp files (which I converted to png files with a program called imagicon) to load into my games. I know it can be done because in one of the threads, posed by enix-sama, he retextured some characters and got it to load up in the game. I know the textures he retextured were once bmp files because I tried to retexture them myself.

Please help!

mudlord

Banned
From what I know about retexturing, some BMP's when dumped are actually CI based files...But generally, BMPs should be left in thier original format, and not compressed, when doing the retexturing....

But however, PNG's can also be CI based...to store transparency data, which means in future, possibly, BMP dumping can be removed from the plugin, to help with space issues when dumping/loading hi res textures..(thats if of course, BMGLib supports writing colour indexed PNGs...)....

But to load textures, you must makes sure the filename you output is EXACTLY the same as the original. Any change to the filename at all, and it won't load.

Mollymutt

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. You do NOT need to retexture bmp files. Check out any of the packs that have been uploaded. They are all png files. Anything that's in the bmp folders is also in the ci_by_png folder. I have been at this for a long time now, and I can assure you that there is nothing in the bmp files that you need. In fact, I don't think the plugin will even load anything else but png files. The only two folders that I've ever used are the ci_by_png and the png_by_rgb_a.

OP
D

Datadayne

Thanks mudlord! I finaly got it to work. I needed to a program called RLE8demo.
You need to encode it to RLE instead of converting it to png.

Again thanks for the keywords and the quick reply.

OP
D

Datadayne

Hey mollymut, are you using the 6.1.1 beta? because I used to get those folders when I used the beta plugin. But changed back to 6.1.0. There are textures that are bmp that I do want to retexture. Like in TWINE, most of the textures are bmp's, if you want to retexture them, then you need to RLE encode it.

Heres the link to the demo product.
http://www.codeproject.com/bitmap/rle8bitmap.asp

M[u]ddy

Like in TWINE, most of the textures are bmp's, if you want to retexture them, then you need to RLE encode it.
Everything thats in the bmp folder can be found in one of the png folders, too.
The bmps are just converted pngs to make them load faster, but since a bmp pack would be much to large (about 1GB) you should not use them.
Converting bmps to pngs whouls be unnecessary complicated since there is already a file , dumped in the right format.

Terranigma

In fact, I don't think the plugin will even load anything else but png files.

Actually, that's not true. When I was testing out Harvest Moon, I was able to mess around with the BMP files and it loaded. I'm not saying you should bother with them, but I'm just saying they will load.