What's new

Pirating's gone waaaaay too far...

jollyrancher

I was at this party last night and when it was winding down and the host was like, "let's watch a video." And we're like ok, what do you have. And he says "everything." So he hands us this list with 855 movies on it... and we're like "you have all these movies???" And in his tv cabinet he has 9 CD cases filled with ripped DVDs. And we're wondering where he got all these and he goes, "DSL, Baby!" So he throws on a movie and then he shows me where he gets them... within 5 minutes he starts downloading one at over 100kb/sec. I mean that's just sooooooo wrong.... there's always going to be pirating (I used to burn a few of my friends' CDs) but with the technology now there needs to be more regulation or something... it partly explains why there's been so little innovation in music/gaming recently. And the thing is that it's too hard to get search warrants and raid people's homes so they need to invent some sort of CD/DVD player that only plays original shit... sorta like a PSX that can't be modded or something.... you still can't burn games that play on an unmodded PSX.... so seal the damn chips in a steel case or something.

dnrobs

i agree with you OP illegal downloading of the most recent films or games is abit unfair.
the fact that the industry is worth billions dosnt justify it.
but the honest fact is that it will only be aselect few of a 100,000 or more worldwide that have the inclination or ability to download these pirated files
piracy will never take over.ie the gameboy advance sales dont suffer there is always someone with cash on the hip and no prices arnt inflated to cover piracy.
infact it is quite the reverse you may download a film/game enjoy it so much you go out to buy the original to add to yourecollection.

pandamoan

Banned
dnrobs said:
i agree with you OP illegal downloading of the most recent films or games is abit unfair.
the fact that the industry is worth billions dosnt justify it.
but the honest fact is that it will only be aselect few of a 100,000 or more worldwide that have the inclination or ability to download these pirated files
piracy will never take over.ie the gameboy advance sales dont suffer there is always someone with cash on the hip and no prices arnt inflated to cover piracy.
infact it is quite the reverse you may download a film/game enjoy it so much you go out to buy the original to add to yourecollection.

was he using emule?

emule is great! it's hard to keep stable though... :(

i believe in 100% freedom of information. It keeps everyone honest. real artists do it for other reasons than the money. in fact many of the greatest artists died in poverty:

mozart
van gogh
robert johnson

filesharing would've HELPED them (quite possibly).

if steven spielberg loses money putting out another crap film that everyone just downloads, the real loss isn't HIS MONEY but all of humanity's WASTED TIME AND EFFORT to watch his horse shit movies.

i'd like to see a system where artists are promoted and compensated for their industry, but the current system isn't it. neither is a non-open format like psx games. that will just lead to more industry miss-management by the buttholes that run virgin, emi, bmg, sony, etc.

screw them. i'll download what i want, and if it's REALLY good, i'll send the artist money direct. (or go to a concert... ;))

just a thought.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
jollyrancher said:
I was at this party last night and when it was winding down and the host was like, "let's watch a video." And we're like ok, what do you have. And he says "everything." So he hands us this list with 855 movies on it... and we're like "you have all these movies???" And in his tv cabinet he has 9 CD cases filled with ripped DVDs. And we're wondering where he got all these and he goes, "DSL, Baby!" So he throws on a movie and then he shows me where he gets them... within 5 minutes he starts downloading one at over 100kb/sec. I mean that's just sooooooo wrong.... there's always going to be pirating (I used to burn a few of my friends' CDs) but with the technology now there needs to be more regulation or something... it partly explains why there's been so little innovation in music/gaming recently. And the thing is that it's too hard to get search warrants and raid people's homes so they need to invent some sort of CD/DVD player that only plays original shit... sorta like a PSX that can't be modded or something.... you still can't burn games that play on an unmodded PSX.... so seal the damn chips in a steel case or something.

La La La, here we go again with the overkill DRM bull. Figures, he's from L.A., no wonder why :(. Many people in California want corporate-facist style laws :(.

Last edited:

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
pandamoan said:
in fact many of the greatest artists died in poverty:

mozart
van gogh
robert johnson

filesharing would've HELPED them (quite possibly).

if steven spielberg loses money putting out another crap film that everyone just downloads, the real loss isn't HIS MONEY but all of humanity's WASTED TIME AND EFFORT to watch his horse shit movies.

Van Gogh died in poverty because no one thought that his work was worth jack shit until he died. Freedom of information wouldn't have a bit in his case. In fact, what you don't get is that freedom of information won't help shit to anyone anywhere, because no one would pay for something that he can get for free, a specially if he can get that information for free without breaking the law (hell, pirating software is illegal now, and yet it doesn't stop anyone with a remotely fast internet connection to leech as much as he freaking can).

And by the way, Spielberg makes great movies. E.T was great, so was Minority Report, so was Schindler's List, and so was Jaws.

Last edited:

2fast4u

mozart died in poverty even tho he made shit loads of money with his music only him and his wife didnt know jack shit how to keep it on their hands. my addition to the classical music bits. and i wouldnt mind some of those artifically created commercial "artists" dying in poverty, at least they deserve it...

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
pandamoan said:
i believe in 100% freedom of information. It keeps everyone honest. real artists do it for other reasons than the money. in fact many of the greatest artists died in poverty:

So you are saying that no artist should earn money, and they should all die in poverty?

You know, I really think that you are a communist and you do not belong with the capitalist crowd. You probably just don't like communism and talk bad about it because its an unpopular concept, and the people who surround you are those who probably hate communism, but in actuallity you believe that communism would work. Its the same reason why you hate bush.

Last edited:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
jollyrancher said:
they need to invent some sort of CD/DVD player that only plays original shit... sorta like a PSX that can't be modded or something.... you still can't burn games that play on an unmodded PSX.... so seal the damn chips in a steel case or something.

Actually, my standalone DVD player will _not_ run from any writeable media, not even burned pure-audio CD's.

pandamoan

Banned
AlphaWolf said:
So you are saying that no artist should earn money, and they should all die in poverty?

You know, I really think that you are a communist and you do not belong with the capitalist crowd. You probably just don't like communism and talk bad about it because its an unpopular concept, and the people who surround you are those who probably hate communism, but in actuallity you believe that communism would work. Its the same reason why you hate bush.

lemme just repeat this for you alpha in case you don't know how to read or something:

i'd like to see a system where artists are promoted and compensated for their industry, but the current system isn't it. neither is a non-open format like psx games. that will just lead to more industry miss-management by the buttholes that run virgin, emi, bmg, sony, etc.

there we go.

i never said i hate communism, either. as an implemented concept it seems to have it's problems, but the overall ideology doesn't bother me in the least.

either way given my above sentence about wishing for compensation for artists, i don't see how you can make that claim.

i think you're probably just trying to get a rise out of me, and doing it with a very poor straw man.

and dude, schindler's list was about 1/10th the movie it could've been with a better director, and those other movies just aren't that great, sorry. minority report totally sucked, other than the libretto.

i don't really see how my logical comments draw such harsh and inaccurate criticism so quickly. i obviously over estimate the rationality of our species.

of course 2fast4u's comment was educated and worth reading, despite the fact that he seemed to disagree with me. kudos!

however, mozart didn't really make "butt-loads" of cash. though he may have made enough to survive, with better budgeting. he'd still have been fairly blue collar, by age of enlightenment standards.

dnrobs

out of interest is your dvd panasonic tagrineth?
mine is and it dosent recognise any recordable media others have said the same.

mesman00

What's that...?
pandamoan said:
and dude, schindler's list was about 1/10th the movie it could've been with a better director, and those other movies just aren't that great, sorry. minority report totally sucked, other than the libretto.

those are your views. don't try to make them mine or anyone elses. this doesn't go for just you, it goes for everyone else here. thats the problem on this board, and probably all others. there is simply no toleration.

Remote

The problem as I would say it is that some people just can't take the fact that they are mainstream and wants to be heard / be seen / be famous? ;-) by not saying / thinking what the mainstream does, eventhough they do:p

2fast4u

i notice alpha always posts politically when theres something he can fundamentally oppose to, like communism (even tho there wasnt even a connection in this thread). when things get detailed (like education) he buggers out :p

/me waves with the poking stick

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
2fast4u said:
i notice alpha always posts politically when theres something he can fundamentally oppose to, like communism (even tho there wasnt even a connection in this thread). when things get detailed (like education) he buggers out :p

/me waves with the poking stick

What are you talking about? If this is something related to pandamoans post, I didn't read it because it was long and formatted like shit (nuff said.) If theres anybody with an education here, it's not him.

pandamoan

Banned
AlphaWolf said:
What are you talking about? If this is something related to pandamoans post, I didn't read it because it was long and formatted like shit (nuff said.) If theres anybody with an education here, it's not him.

bah...... personal attack. not relevant..... formatting..... jesus christ.

2fast4u

AlphaWolf said:
If this is something related to pandamoans post, I didn't read it because it was long and formatted like shit (nuff said

erm .. you reacted to a post you didnt actually read? thats clever.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
2fast4u said:
erm .. you reacted to a post you didnt actually read? thats clever.

No, I read the post I reacted to. The second one I didn't read.

itsliketryingtoreadabiggoddamnunformattedstringoftextyoujustwanttoquitafterawhile.

You asked why I didn't respond to it. Thats why.