What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Perfect Dark texture pack WIP [Perfect Dark Forever]

Rewind

Hi this is Howardphilips,

I asked Rewind to post this WIP texture pack for Perfect Dark, as I am unable to post anything on this forum, not for lack of trying (including with another account).
If one of the moderators sees this post and can allow my Howardphilips account to post, that would be most gracious.

For the last 10 years or so, I have tried to make a pack that would be faithful to the original style of the game. Although many things are left to be done, I will not be able to finish this pack, for good reasons.
Yet, with the link below, you will have access to all of my work in native PNG format (no cache), which includes:
- all single player levels
- cinematics
- all vehicles minus 1
- some menus
In total 1,559 textures have been done and are available here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/vz1vz86s7nchuug/Perfect+Dark+Forever+0.4.7z

All textures are Glide-compatible (tested with GlideNapalm under 1964).

To get an understanding of the work performed, I had also uploaded (under a different nickname), the following videos on youtube over time:

If someone wants to finish this pack, they are welcome to do so under the condition to credit me as the original author of the pack.

Among the things left to do:
- all characters
- weapons
- user interface (especially the fonts, which I never managed to dump)
- multiplayer levels (a few texutres are downgraded versions of the single player ones, so should be fairly easy to fix, with some time).

There are also a lot of other textures I dumped and never have seen the use for in play, so there should be more than that to be done.

I hope you appreciate it and, again, I would be happy for this pack to be completed by someone else.

Thanks
Howardphilips

Hi all,

After a number of months (more than 6), I am finally able to post on this forum, yeepeekeeay!
For those who did not notice, the YouTube links on the previous post refer to a slightly updated version of the pack, with a total of 1,658 textures.
What this version adds is mostly weapon textures (more than half of all weapons are retextured). Not much but still better than nothing.

Here's the link:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/6bwnh7sbj385nr5/Perfect_Dark_Forever_0.5c.7z/file

Thanks

clockw3rk

Thanks for this. I’m having real trouble finding a simple guide for adding these packs to the mupen core in retroarch.

I created a cache file, placed this folder inside, and enabled high res textures and high res alpha from the quick menu.

No luck so far. Any suggestions?

I do not use Retroarch for N64, so I am not sure what is wrong with clockw3rk's setup. Maybe creating a cache file is not necessary for the first run? Otherwise, as stated you can use Project64. I use the ol'timer 1964 emulator which works reasonably well (I use it because it loads fast on my computer).

Fyi, I have had a try at retexturing one multiplayer level and it only needed to add 5 new textures, as other textures were already in the single player levels. If other multiplayer levels require the same amount of work, I may post an update sometime this year (that's a big 'if', though)

Xii-Nyth

Well I finally managed to extract the fonts myself thanks to the cache extractor, just dragged them into the pack and the only duplicate textures were for the dolby surround and the level stars, which I decided to overwrite. Ill double check getting permission before I upload "v0.6" here

On closer inspection though many of the textures are not being loaded, and there's some variants at certain angles/distances that are missing that cause windows to disappear on villa etc

I'm wondering if you are using a European rom and the file names are different
For example your level thumbnails didn't load in, but the ones from the bundle's pack did.

Oh and finally certain textures seem to have 100% gloss which causes them to turn black at certain angles (such as the bottom of the first door on the first level)
The gloss also seems to cause a minor issue on the weapons, as while under godrays they look very strange

1643849936514.png
1643849025404.png
1643850252638.png
1643851300712.png

Last edited:

Xii-Nyth

Just make sure you keep your work in a separate folder.
Thanks for the heads up!

Also I can't seem to find a way to format my post so the images aren't giant until you click on them. Tried using the inline spoiler to show/hide but I guess thats text only or something, unless it just views differently for me since its my post.
Let me know if theirs a way to do it so I can fix it up, unless you can edit other peoples posts*

(will delete this message after)

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Thanks for the heads up!

Also I can't seem to find a way to format my post so the images aren't giant until you click on them. Tried using the inline spoiler to show/hide but I guess thats text only or something, unless it just views differently for me since its my post.
Let me know if theirs a way to do it so I can fix it up, unless you can edit other peoples posts*

(will delete this message after)
Don't delete the post.

Just post the images, the site can take it. Let's see som quality.

Xii-Nyth

Yeah just opened it in a container tab in firefox. The pictures auto sized down so they didn't fill the entire page. I guess some cache is just keeping them large on my screen lol.

Figured out I can manually resize them by clicking on them tho so I'm gonna do that anyways just so I wont have to scroll as much as I work on this.

(this will be the last post off topic)

1643922247235.png
1643922273997.png

Xii-Nyth

Ok so update on certain textures not loading in. I mentioned before there were 2 duplicate textures but with different names. I found out that after loading in PD Forever and then extracting the cache that the names became the same as the ones from the extracted cache of the GEPD Bundle's textures.
1643925711261.png
1643925719539.png
However the level stars did load in previously even though the name is different. I'm assuming this is because they are made to replace all 3 difficulties rather than 1, and that the cache only saved it as one since I only previewed the level menu and not the shooting range's where the bronze and silver stars would've been.

However the Dolby Surround image oddly changed in the process, and I opened it in gimp just incase everything.exe had the inverse problem of file explorer sometimes showing the transparencies as black.

I have a rom hack that adds in kakariko village to multiplayer and there's a corrupted level which has that texture in one spot so I can go test it out- since the one loading into the game is on a black background.
Edit: turns out it has different a texture that says "dolby surrounds" and not "dolby surround"

Ill also be sure to check if the one with the old name loads in or not to see if the wrong file names is the cause of textures not loading in. I doubt it though or else they should've started to work after I tried loading from the exported cache.
Edit: Both of them work similar to the level stars.

Also for some unexplained reason the level star still does not appear as the gold star in the firing range despite it having the same file name as the gold star from the other pack which does appear...?
Edit 2: it turns out the other pack has 4 stars total, 3 of which are grayscale so the game must just apply colour information to those afterwards. One time in rogue squadron everything but lukes head was grey so I guess this method is pretty common.

Last edited:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Yeah just opened it in a container tab in firefox. The pictures auto sized down so they didn't fill the entire page. I guess some cache is just keeping them large on my screen lol.

Figured out I can manually resize them by clicking on them tho so I'm gonna do that anyways just so I wont have to scroll as much as I work on this.

(this will be the last post off topic)

View attachment 40519
View attachment 40520
Screenshot_20220203-173758_DuckDuckGo.jpglooks good on mobile.

Xii-Nyth

Hey so looking closer I noticed all the thumbnails which aren't working have _ciByRGBA at the end, and then amongst the other textures its of mix of having or not having that.

So I went to check the the thumbnails in the bundle and found they also have it, and with text there was a slight variation of the 2 textures with and without.
1643929441452.png
I was about to rule that out as being indicative of just being a lighting map or something (I'm new to n64 packs so I'm unfamiliar with this stuff) but it still seemed to only appear on the textures which I didn't remember seeing like the rocks on villa.

So I went and put one of the thumbnails next to a working one and found out that they begin with the same name, but then change with the second part:
1643928873034.png
This seems to be the opposite of the examples from shadows of the empire you gave on the static textures post.
Is this a known issue that has a solution?

Last edited:
Great seeing someone helping on that pack!
Not sure I got all of your comments right, but re. the below, pictures 2 and 3 do not seem to have any of my textures applied, so the problem you list must be in the way the game displays the textures (plugin issue? Are you using an additional software like Reshade?, etc)
Re. the different filenames between those that work for me and those that work for you, maybe you and I use different plugins? I use the old Glide64 plugin, while you may be using GlideN64?

Last edited:

Xii-Nyth

Great seeing someone helping on that pack!
Not sure I got all of your comments right, but re. the below, pictures 2 and 3 do not seem to have any of my textures applied, so the problem you list must be in the way the game displays the textures (plugin issue? Are you using an additional software like Reshade?, etc)
Re. the different filenames between those that work for me and those that work for you, maybe you and I use different plugins? I use the old Glide64 plugin, while you may be using GlideN64?
Oh yeah those particular pictures I sent for the windows not showing up happened to be in a bad situation, only texture visible here was this
1643998813532.png
However good news, I realised that if putting the textures in folders didnt mess anything up GLide must just look only for things starting with Perfect Dark#xxx.. in the name meaning it reads left to right. I found out that deleting the second set of numbers and letters and the _ciByRGBA and then adding _all will work! So far no duplicate file names! Before I go and and manually rename all of them (quit working on my minecraft textures bc the file names keep changing every update ever since microsoft took over) I'll try to find out why newer versions of GLideN64 are missing this "wildcard" support.

I did a couple of the major textures on villa and things seem to be working so far! Only drawback is the performance hit was a lot larger than I was expecting (going from 56x to 128x here was far larger than going from 16x to 512x in minecraft). Turning on the pack lowered my fps from ~170 unlimited to 65, about the same as just using my reshade before. However using both together only lowered down to ~45 despite the reshade adding 12 ms/frame on the gpu, so the bottleneck is definitely due to the fact we are emulating an N64 here and not that the card is getting more load then it should.

Anyways here's everything together so far! I can't take any credit for other peoples work but that reshade has undergone many hours of tuning.

2064.png

Xii-Nyth

Ok so turns out you just need to remove the second part and then you can leave the _rgba, but started getting weird issues with black screens or 50% of frames being black. Not sure if that's just 1964 or what but...

I've been informed that there is a decompilation project to run pd natively on pc, which would solve the performance issue, and the format is gonna be way different so no reason to fix things twice, so might as well just focus on editing any textures for now. Could you send me copy of your 1964 setup so I can load everything in to see how they look easily?

Ok so turns out you just need to remove the second part and then you can leave the _rgba, but started getting weird issues with black screens or 50% of frames being black. Not sure if that's just 1964 or what but...

I've been informed that there is a decompilation project to run pd natively on pc, which would solve the performance issue, and the format is gonna be way different so no reason to fix things twice, so might as well just focus on editing any textures for now. Could you send me copy of your 1964 setup so I can load everything in to see how they look easily?
Hi, not sure what you really need here.
I am merely using 1964 v0.9.9, and the glide64 wx Napalm version 1 gfx plugin. Other than that, given the texture pack I released can easily be edited, I think you would be covered.
In addition, you may want to use a newer gfx plugin, such as Glide N64. I don't use it purely because I couldn't make it work properly but it's a better choice in the long run.

Xii-Nyth

Oh yeah my bad it was not compressing the cache that caused slowdowns since the larger than 999 MB fix in glide doesnt work in old emulators, and the black screens were caused by using _all in the wrong place but only when it was loading from cache? Anyways I got that stuff worked out and renamed everything. Started redoing some textures and just trying to get others to work such as the yellow doors on attack ship. For some reason the textures I extract from memorycache all have the wrong names and don't load in.

I think gonetz said somewhere just to use rice for dumping textures but that causes another problem or something so idk.

Last edited: