What's new

PC upgrade help for Dolphin

Nintendo Ace

Hi guys, I am going to get a new computer for myself and I was wondering if you could give me some advice on what to buy and how much it would cost. Help would be most appreciated and thank you for your emulator:) .

Here are my specs:
CPU: AMD Duron processor 1.80GHz
Memory: 256 MB of RAM
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000

Toasty

Sony battery
If you're looking to play the games at full speed, it's still too early to say what specs will eventually be the requirement (and when it will actually be possible). It looks like Dolphin will soon be optimized for 64-bit, dual-core processors, so getting the fastest Intel Core 2 or AMD X2/FX you can get your hands on will help matters when those optimizations are released. (Obviously, you'll need a 64-bit operating system to use a 64-bit application, as well.) Get a decent graphics card that supports at least PS 2.0. (That comes from the Dolphin FAQ.)

OP
Nintendo Ace

Nintendo Ace

Thanks a lot. I do not necessarily need my games at full speed, just the speed increased a bit and the graphics fixed up.

Knuckles

graphics fix up, any Radeon from or over the 9000 serie or a geforce FX and higher will do the trick . For speed increase, there's nothing much you can do. think of the future and get anything 64bits (and a 64bits OS)

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Dolphin's 64-bit version doesn't mean jack to you unless you have a 64-bit OS. Just having a 64-bit CPU doesn't cut it.

Terranigma

Right now, I have an AMD Athlon x2 4200+, 2 Gigs of RAM, and a Radeon x1650 XT. What I don't know is whether my OS is 64 bit. I got the weird Windows XP Media Center Edition. I have no clue how many bits is it.

Toasty

Sony battery
What I don't know is whether my OS is 64 bit. I got the weird Windows XP Media Center Edition. I have no clue how many bits is it.
AFAIK, the only XP that is 64-bit is Windows XP Pro (the 64-bit version, obviously). So, if you have MCE, it's a safe bet that it is 32-bit. To anyone wondering how well xxxxx CPU with xxxxx video card will do on Dolphin, the answer is slowly. It is still unknown how much processing power will eventually be required to run mature GC emulators (because none exist yet), so save your money or buy a GC or Wii.

ATLKYDD404

Will my PC be able to run this or the x64 version perfectly?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (Yes, Dual-Core)
1GB of 2x 512MB (533MHz) RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
ASUS M2N-32 SLi Deluxe [Wireless Edition]
eVGA 8800GTS (640MB) - (DirectX 10)