What's new

overall speed issues

franpa

help needed with speed issues

im using all the default plugins except for the controller which im using nrage's plugin

and i've run all roms through goodn64 and all roms are verified dumps

upon ticking show cpu usage % i see that approx. 60% - 70% of cpu power is wasted on idle. this is the same whether or not if i have anistropic of fsaa turned on in the graphics plugin or sync sound in the sound plugin

the speed issues i refer to again is that games dont play smoothley even tho (if you look at my profile) my system requirements are well above the neccesary to play the games.

a list of games i play

- mario party 3
- super smash bros.
- zelda ocarina of time masters quest
- zelda majoras mask
- banjo tooie
- megaman64

all or most games are the (u) region

and im using the latest rdb

any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
OP
F

franpa

ummm if ya read what i said then ya would know

but jus in case...

p4 3.00ghz ht
1024mb dual channel ddr2 memory (2 x 512)
80 gig hdd (plenty free space)
cd rom, dvd rw
geforce 6600gt pci express
onboard sound (yes i know it sux)
asus p5ld2 motherboard (standard)
latest nvidia drivers, directx 9.0c, windowsXP home
latest sound, network, BIOS etc. drivers

the BIOS i personaly have setup for best performance however if anyone could tell me how exactly what i should set everything to to stop this f*ck*d m/b from overclocking stuff please

cpu temp avg. 65 celsius
m/b temp avg. 45 - 50 celsius
v/c temp avg. 45 - 50 celsius

Last edited:
OP
F

franpa

yea i know were working on that particular problem now.

the asus motherboard states on a sticker directly next to the giant cpu fan fanless design.

that temp rating is during the summer days.

Last edited:

CF2

Pretends to make sense
Tried updating your drivers? I asked for system specs because sometimes there are hardware related problems even with newer machines...

flowrent

Wtf is wrong ?
I have a pc 3 times slower than yours and dont have speed issues.
Franpa dude i think you set it up till you f****d it up..
Just leave the pc alone with it's default settings,don't overclock anything.
i don't know what else to say..i'm in shock.

Allnatural

franpa said:
upon ticking show cpu usage % i see that approx. 60% - 70% of cpu power is wasted on idle. this is the same whether or not if i have anistropic of fsaa turned on in the graphics plugin or sync sound in the sound plugin

the speed issues i refer to again is that games dont play smoothley even tho (if you look at my profile) my system requirements are well above the neccesary to play the games.
The idle cpu usage isn't that unusual, depending on the game. What do you mean exactly when you say "games don't play smoothly"? Many N64 games ran at sub-30 framerates normally, so your problem may be nothing other than the reality not meating the expectation.

Here's a quick test. What does PJ64's FPS counter (technically, VI/s counter) say? If it's running at 60 for NTSC games, then everything is normal.

OP
F

franpa

CF2 said:
Tried updating your drivers? I asked for system specs because sometimes there are hardware related problems even with newer machines...

yes drivers are upto date and i know about why specs are important its just i've already added all that stuff to my profile.

and what i mean is for instance zelda ocarina of time runs at 45 - 55 fps instead of 60 ( i also actually own the game and can tell that its jerky/slow )

when i had the 81.94 nvidia drivers installed i got decent performance but under 81.95 it seems to have dropped also i have not purposfuly overclocked if you read my posts in this thread you would have seen that i've asked how to not overclock this computer as theres no exact option (unless someone is willing to tell me the settings i should change when i change to manual instead of auto overclocking.

asus website/forums are totally GAY.

the only overclocking i've personaly done is to overclock my videocard to the same as what other companies have set the geforce 6600gt to. i've only done this yesterday.

default - core - 500mhz
default - memory - 1000mhz (aka 1ghz)
new - core - 550mhz
new memory - 1100mhz (aka 1.1ghz)

and there was nill diff. in pj64 however 3dmark03 displayed a noticible diff.

3d mark 03 - scores

overclocked - 9168

not overclocked - 8488 and 8499 (2 seperate test runs)

i've done a bit more testing and the problem is with more or less 3d games like zelda, mario, megaman, etc.

however super smash bros ran fine

Last edited:

SegaBOI

SEGA Enthusiast
This is a common issue with most users, ill help you out.

Emulation, it is just the process of your pc "PRETENDING" to be the actual console, many emulators (infact.. mostly all) are not designed to handle the games as efficiently as the official hardware (in your case the n64, which has weak specs compared to your pc) therefor one should not come to expect perfect performance out of his emulator.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fun Fact: many highly graphical games on todays systems like the xbox or the dreamcast have a 30FPS locked feature! this is due to the fact that they cannot achieve 60 on that hardware.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would say the 45-55+ frame rate you are getting is about adequate.. I can get 50+-60 on mostly all games, but my CPU doesnt run at 65 at any time thats pretty hot, another suggestion would be to try different graphics plug-ins although the ones that come with 1.6 are pretty nice, other than that.. im not to sure what to tell you.

OP
F

franpa

were working on the probs and yes the probs only with certain games (mario tennis runs perfect and replays are extremely close to perfect aswell)

yesterday my 7 month old 80gig hdd died (no idea why)
and also
my 21 inch crt monitor died aswell (grrr very annoying)

once i get the above issues worked out and reinstalled windows i'll do some more extensive tests.