What's new

Noobs 'n' Newbs

How do you view noobs and newbs?

• I'm patient no matter what - it's just a game.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I'm willing to help out the newbs. Not much point in bothering with noobs, but they don't bug me.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Having a good game messed up is bad, but if it's an honest mistake it's OK. Otherwise... :angry:

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • As long as the newcomers stick to "noob only" games, I will tolerate their presence.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Inexperienced players better just stay out of my games if they know what's good for them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ALL PLAYERS WHO HAVE LESS SKILL THAN ME SHOULD BE TORTURED MERCILESSLY!!!

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Toasty

Sony battery
Just started playing StarCraft again today after a while of absolutely no online gaming. Of course, in about 9 of the 10 or so games I played, there was the ubiquitous noobie who always manages to foul up an otherwise perfect game. So, I decided I'd had enough, and decided to come here to calm my frustrations.

Generally, even if a game is specifically labeled as being "pros only" I try to be patient with inexperienced players who genuinely want to learn and make an effort to do well (the newbs). On the other hand, it's quite difficult to restrain a good chewing out when I encounter players who come into a game and either ignore advice, simply don't try, or sometimes even intentionally ruin the game when they can't figure out how to play correctly (the noobs). Anyway, what are your opinions on newbs and noobs? Do you try to keep your cool no matter what, or do you go after anybody who can't quite keep up with you?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Let's just say I'm generally patient. We're all new at things at one time. When they keep ignoring advice (and entering games labeled "pro only"), then I might just yell at them a little... they do have to respect others too.

Lizard Blade

I'm in the unfortunate bracket of being better than most everybody at most every game but falling just short of say, a Korean Starcraft player. That means that in everything from Halo to Warcraft 3 I come in first place in public games a good 90-95% of the time so I get to gloat a lot and hate on all the newbies (I.E. everybody).

zaba_3

I'm in the unfortunate bracket of being better than most everybody at most every game but falling just short of say, a Korean Starcraft player. That means that in everything from Halo to Warcraft 3 I come in first place in public games a good 90-95% of the time so I get to gloat a lot and hate on all the newbies (I.E. everybody).

Wanna 1v1 in warcraft3? ;)

Darkfox

That guy that does stuff.
As I recall a long while back I was playing against a game of Unreal Tournament it was not the newbs or n00bs that were the worst but the so-called "pros" who used spectator members to figure out your position. I was good at stealthy execution, he ruined it with what is essentially a dishonorable move. But this was long ago, haven't played online in years, had nothing to gain from it and not enough trustable opponents.

I will say that I actually enjoy having newbs in a match, I've caught them on numerous occasions killing themselves which is always funny no matter how many times you see it. Like falling off cliffs and blowing themselves up with their own bombs. The problem though is when you get 13yrs and under players who have to flood the chat box with nonsensical garbage and substituting a lot of words with single numbers and letters. Do they really expect me to understand their lazy gibberish?

In any case, these are the two parties I generally find worse overall. Kiddies and those who will do anything to win, especially cheat. I'm not against cheaters though taken in moderation. I've seen them do funny things, it's just when they overpower themselves. Funny stuff was OK to me. Newbs and Noobs are least of my concerns but given sincerity I would be willing to give lessons.

Miretank

Lurking
Darkfox said:
The problem though is when you get 13yrs and under players who have to flood the chat box with nonsensical garbage and substituting a lot of words with single numbers and letters. Do they really expect me to understand their lazy gibberish?
True.

Well, if the newcomer dude is smart, I don't mind to team up with him. Some people learn fast. And everyone had to start from zero one day, right? ;)