What's new

No RSP

Iconoclast

There's a No Sound plugin out there for disabling sound emulation, but has anyone ever considered a No RSP plugin that disables reality signal processing? Wouldn't that, like No Sound, free up CPU and such?

I mean, 1964 is like the only one of the four decent N64 emulators that makes RSP emulation optional. If Project64, for example, ever does get a feature where you can assign certain plugins to certain games, perhaps a No RSP plugin would be useful to assign to games not needing RSP emulation?

Also, I'm aware that a RSP plugin is required to hear sound from Jabo's DirectSound, but not only would no RSP free up CPU along with No Sound, but a third-party sound plugin is required for High Level Audio to work, anyway, and Azimer's HLE works without using RSP emulation.

At the very least, zilmar's No Sound plugin should disable both sound and RSP emulation at the same time (sorry if it already does; I can't read C++). Besides, Mupen64 comes with an audio plugin that doesn't need a RSP plugin, so a No RSP would still be just as useful as No Sound, would it not?

zilmar

Emulator Developer
I think you miss the what the RSP is.

The RSP is a second cpu running at 67 mhz, this is designed to perform SIMD instructions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIMD). The way the n64 uses it is it send batches of code and intructions how to use it (Audio list, Display list). With pj64 we emulate this CPU for audio (LLE). With gfx we HLE it. azimers plugin and some of the code in mupen64 has code to be able to HLE that as well. That is what your looking at.

You are basicly saying for extra CPU then use HLE for audio, not LLE.

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Ah, but then, how come, if you turn on Disable Audio HLE from Nemu64's Debug menu, you can hear sound? Nemu64 doesn't use a RSP plugin, and it's audio plugin is HLE, isn't it? At least until Audio HLE is unchecked in plugin configuration, which, then, you hear no sound.

Also, I'm aware that making a No RSP plugin for Project64 would be pointless to use with Jabo's DirectSound, since you won't hear any sound, but I'm still not getting why it doesn't make any sense to make one. 1964 can disable RSP emulation, so why can't a plugin be made to free up CPU like No Sound? What if someone uses a third-party HLE plugin (and there are a couple reasons for this)?
You are basicly saying for extra CPU then use HLE for audio, not LLE.
If, by extra CPU, you mean less CPU consumption, then yes. I am not, however, saying that Jabo's DirectSound sucks because it's LLE or anything like that. It's good to have different plugins with different methods so they can all cover emulation for different games. In fact, I know that LLE is necessary, but for the cases where users are having slow emulation in some games, what do they usually try doing? First, they switch to 1964, if it supports the game well. Second, they use an HLE audio plugin, if the game supports it. Third, they use No RSP plugin for chances of freeing a little more CPU.

Unless, is it that all HLE audio plugins (at least Azimer's) already disable reality signal processing at the same time?

Last edited:

zilmar

Emulator Developer
there is DList - Display lists .. this is a list of commands how to display a scene ...
there is Alist - Audio Lists ... this is how different music is mixed together with sound effects, multiple channels.

These have to be processed and emulated/simulated if you want audio and gfx. If you do not want audio then you could not process them.

You do not just magicly get them with out being processed.
Pj64 does this with the rsp plugin.
nemu does this internally
mupen I believe can do it internal
azimer audio plugin can do it ..

if you want sound it has to be processed .. LLE is more CPU intesive then HLE.

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

there is DList - Display lists .. this is a list of commands how to display a scene ...
there is Alist - Audio Lists ... this is how different music is mixed together with sound effects, multiple channels.

These have to be processed and emulated/simulated if you want audio and gfx. If you do not want audio then you could not process them.

You do not just magicly get them with out being processed.
Pj64 does this with the rsp plugin.
nemu does this internally
mupen I believe can do it internal
azimer audio plugin can do it ..

if you want sound it has to be processed .. LLE is more CPU intesive then HLE.
What you seem to be saying is, making a No RSP plugin would be pointless because Project64 would then get no sound, whichever audio plugin you use.

Then, I guess this does make a No RSP plugin useless, unless Mupen64 processes these lists of commands internally and not externally. If such is the case, as you've said, then keep in mind that Mupen64 forces the use of a RSP plugin. Wouldn't disabling RSP emulation still allow you to hear sound then, for most games?

Other than that, as long as you're also saying, using your No Sound plugin also disables RSP emulation at the same time, then I guess there really is no point in a No RSP plugin after all.

zilmar

Emulator Developer
No Sound, does not affect the rsp processing .. you would have to send Alists to the plugin to get the extra CPU power back.

If rsp is not processing Alists you will get sound in some demo's, but I do not think any commercial game will have audio