What's new

News from Nintendo Legend

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
/me giggles like the little school girl she is

Miyamoto has also said that he is thinking about bringing the long-lost Star Fox 2 to GBA. While work did begin on the game for the SNES (a very early version of the game later leaked out on the net), it was never released as, at that point, the machine was near the end of its lifespan. Until now, nothing else has been seen or heard from the title.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
StarFox 2 aint so hot...at least not the one floating on the internet anyway (i have both the near final version and the one with 2 player mode). And yes, there is a way to get the near final one to play practically perfectly..(interested? go to the zsnes boards when its back up)

hehe, Plisco, i think Nintendo legend = Miyamoto :)

and the two versions of pokemon stadium....now they are just milking the milk from the milk from the cow :baaa: How are they going to justify 2 versions of stadium?

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
pj64er said:
StarFox 2 aint so hot...at least not the one floating on the internet anyway (i have both the near final version and the one with 2 player mode). And yes, there is a way to get the near final one to play practically perfectly..(interested? go to the zsnes boards when its back up)

I think it's brilliant.

And I assume by 'practically perfectly' you mean aside from the incredible number of crash bugs, missing effects, and incredibly weird graphical screwiness in the Installation areas? Heh, I actually got lucky and had the game... uh... not crash in one installation. Not that it mattered, the walls kept disappearing and the clipping plane kept going completely bonkers. :holiday:

Also where did Miyu and Fay disappear to in SF64? :cry:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
They'd be wise to port it to the GBA, because otherwise they'd have to make a new game instead of snes ports, the horror! I'm still waiting on a Mario Advance that isn't a bloody port....

OP
Plisco

Plisco

Sevillian
pj64er said:

and the two versions of pokemon stadium....now they are just milking the milk from the milk from the cow :baaa: How are they going to justify 2 versions of stadium?
They'll say there are diffrent items to collect or something along those lines. Lol It will probably sell less than if it was just 1 version of the game.

Sayargh said:
They'd be wise to port it to the GBA, because otherwise they'd have to make a new game instead of snes ports, the horror! I'm still waiting on a Mario Advance that isn't a bloody port....
You'll be waiting a long long time

:plain:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Sayargh said:

Er... in this case, I don't see why you should have a problem with SF2 being an SNES port.

Mostly because there's no SNES original.

Cyberman

Well Right now new games cost a lot of money to make, and they already have the time invested into SF 2 so why not?

The GBA is limited to currently 8Meg (64Mb) games also. This is bigger than the SNES but still small enough to be a problem for bigger games. 16Meg (128Mb)and 32Meg (256Mb) games should be available sooner or later. Anyhow the real impedance for GBA games to become more sophisticated is the media not the ability to make bigger and better games. Porting ROM based games is actually a good move since they've already been optimized to fit in a compact space.

I know it's sucks but.. that's reality :)

Cyb

Clements

Cyberman said:

The GBA is limited to currently 8Meg (64Mb) games also. This is bigger than the SNES but still small enough to be a problem for bigger games. 16Meg (128Mb)and 32Meg (256Mb) games should be available sooner or later.

Cyb

Golden Sun 2 - The Lost Age is 128MBit.

blizz

the size of the game is a cost factor, just like battery saves,
don't forget that good GBA games cost a tidy sum to develop anyway, it's no where near as exorbitant in price as FFX would be to develop though obviously

part of the joy I get in the GBA is all the old school gaming ports of games I played when I was young, I'd like to see the Zelda games from the NES on there as well. plus all the Sonic games from the Genesis

Cyberman

Clements said:
Golden Sun 2 - The Lost Age is 128MBit.
I'm not sure why you reiterated something I already said :)

256Mbit ones will be available.. yada yada.

Also for those who are curious OKI manufactures the ROMs.. they aren't Mask ROMs like the ones used in the N64 they are EPROM One Time Programable (this should make a few people have a nostagalga walk). However the cost of these ROMS aren't cheap.. this is why (I posted this in Tech) Nintendo is looking into a cheap flash ROM for GBA game cartridges. Getting Data sheets for the OTP's is a pain because they want all sorts of crazy information from you (typical beauracracy).

Since the GBA can have images upto about 256M/512M in ROM (IE 32 to 64 times the size of big GBA games). It would be cool to see some classics ported to the GBA such as FF7 (I would hate to see how expensive it would be WHAT $150 to play FF7?).

Enjoy :)

Cyb

Cyberman

Ahh.. I hit OKI's Japanese sight.. and guess what? I can get the data sheets there ;)
Anyhow they are labeled P2ROM they are tested and preprogramed at the factory for the customer. This is faster than the customer programing them (acording to OKI at least :) ), in production acording to there brochure. If you have seen the packages (TSSOP1 SSOP and TSSOP2) you'll understand why it would be a pain to program them.

P2ROM Site
8Mbit
16Mbit
32Mbit
128Mbit
and 256Mbit

Cyb - Yeah I know TMI!