What's new

New Video Card

decription

I can get a Geforce 4 MX 64 MB [in know mx isn't as good as ti but anyway] for $40. I know it will be a massive leap up from my current card. My question is, is it worth it for $40? Also, how easy will it be to install it?

Any help is apprechiated. BTW, U'm not sure if it matters but I am also buyinh 128 MB of extra RAM for sure.

ra5555

N64 Newbie
Installing it will be a piece of cake if you have ever opened up your computer case before, just pull the other card you have out and put the new one into the slot and no futher actions will be required.

As far as GF4MX is concerned, it is not a very good card and I will not recommend it. If you are on a tight budget, I suggest you get a Readon 9000 and 9200 (same thing) for about the same price, and I am sure it will be much better than the MX thing which is essentially a ULTRA ULTRA Geforce 2.

On the other hand, if you are willing to pay a bit more for a longer lasting graphics card. I would recommend the Readon 9600, it fully supports DX9 and using AA and AS it will blow away any GF4Ti. IN addition, it is build on 0.13micro fab so it will be relatively cool and it will be good for overclocking.

Check out www.pricewatch.com for current prices

Good Luck ;)

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Judging by his system, it sounds like he doesn't care to spend that much money. A radeon 9000 is only slightly better than a GF4 MX, but it will cost twice as much.

Also, as I always say, don't ever for any reason spend more than $200 on a video card. $200 is most often the magic number for a balance between price, performance, and how long the card will last you. Moreso, if you spend more than $200, you are probably buying a card whose features wont even be used by any games for another 8 months or so, and by the time you can actualy use those features, the card will be much cheaper.

Last edited:

ra5555

N64 Newbie
AlphaWolf said:
Judging by his system, it sounds like he doesn't care to spend that much money. A radeon 9000 is only slightly better than a GF4 MX, but it will cost twice as much.

Also, as I always say, don't ever for any reason spend more than $200 on a video card. $200 is most often the magic number for a balance between price, performance, and how long the card will last you. Moreso, if you spend more than $200, you are probably buying a card whose features wont even be used by any games for another 8 months or so, and by the time you can actualy use those features, the card will be much cheaper.

Sorry, but Readon 9000 is costs about the same as GF4MX440. Go to www.pricewatch.com and it will be much better according to many benchmarks, although the GF4MX can be better in some circumstances. I would recommend getting a $63 - RADEON 9100 64MB, it essentially a renamed Radeon 8500 :p

I would agree with you about his system, as I did not read his specs before making that post, I would recommend for him to get a new processor and more memory too.

If you don't want to do that then get a Readon 9000 because your system would not fully utilize the power of a 9600.

I would recommend you to check out some benchmarks here
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/200207181/radeon9000-04.html

In addition, the Readon 9000 fully supports DX8 while the GF4MX does not support pixel shaders and only partially support DX8.

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
ra5555 said:
Sorry, but Readon 9000 is costs about the same as GF4MX440. Go to www.pricewatch.com and it will be much better according to many benchmarks, although the GF4MX can be better in some circumstances. I would recommend getting a $63 - RADEON 9100 64MB, it essentially a renamed Radeon 8500 :p

Well, if you do want to use pricewatch as an index:

$38 - GeForce4 MX 440 4x 64MB
$57 - RADEON 9000 64MB

Thats about a 40% price difference.

ra5555

N64 Newbie
AlphaWolf said:
Well, if you do want to use pricewatch as an index:

$38 - GeForce4 MX 440 4x 64MB
$57 - RADEON 9000 64MB

Thats about a 40% price difference.

I meant to say relatively the same with MX460 sorry. In fact 9000 is cheaper than the 460 by $2. In addition, the Readon 9100 (renamed 8500) has the same price as the MX460 and it's a whole lot better.

RADEON 9100 128MB $74
RADEON 8500 $65 (Yes, readon 8500 is cheaper than the MX460)

GeForce4 MX 460 8x AGP 128MB $74

Last edited:

milen

If I was on your place I would buy Radeon9100. It costs a little more but the radeon is worth the money. GeforceMX-4 is better than GeforceMX-2 but it's not comparable to a real Geofrce cards, they are too expesive.

OP
decription

decription

Thanks for all of the input. I went ahead and bought the card today for $30. It's a huge step up. I understand the points adressed by you guys but it is a great deal and I'm only 14. My parents won't realize the difference between what I have now and what I bought. This is why they don't know. Also for this reason they wouldn't really leap to take me to the store. Besides for what little gaming I do it should be fine. It isn't really my computer anyway, it is really the family computer, I don't even have my own.

Last edited:

ra5555

N64 Newbie
decription said:
Thanks for all of the input. I went ahead and bought the card today for $30. It's a huge step up. I understand the points adressed by you guys but it is a great deal and I'm only 14. My parents won't realize the difference between what I have now and what I bought. This is why they don't know. Also for this reason they wouldn't really leap to take me to the store. Besides for what little gaming I do it should be fine. It isn't really my computer anyway, it is really the family computer, I don't even have my own.

Glad we've helped, enjoy your new card ;)

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
I can't resist:

GeForce4 MX 420: Because only a pot-head would really want one in favour of the alternatives.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
decription said:
I just put it in 5 minutes ago. It's amazing!!! I'm so happy thanks all!:happy: :happy:

That's great! :flowers: It really is amazing, going from something so old, to something so... er... relatively recent. :flowers:

Even an MX420 is fast compared to a Rage 128... ;)

Knuckles

Tagrineth said:
I can't resist:

GeForce4 MX 420: Because only a pot-head would really want one in favour of the alternatives.

lol, I just saw that, I posted something like that too at another place :D, I think he will change it now :p