What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

New plugins?

Vanit

I haven't really been into the scene for atleast a year and a half, because it seemed it had reached a point where all the new people wanted to reskin the same 3-4 games (this still seems to be the case to some extent), and I was the basically the only one keen to retexture the more obscure games.

I'm considering making a return to the scene, but I have to ask whats the standardised plugin nowadays? Do people still use Rice's plugin or are people using this new Glide64 one I've seen mentioned in a few places? And what happened to Jabo's plugin?

Any answers to these questions would be appreciated. :)

X-Fi6

Glide64 is the most accurate N64 graphics plugin on the internet, now. If you want your emulator almost exactly like the N64 would produce it, you would use Glide64. Even without a voodoo card, if you have an OpenGL card using Windows XP you can get full framebuffer effects and everything including 100% perfect emulation on Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, and heck even Zelda 64!

Glide64, however, does not support texture hacks, and it's not very good at doing hi-def. Again, Glide64 is more towards being exactly like the N64, not better than it.

Jabo's plugin with Project64 1.6 does not support texture hacks. Jabo's plugin with Project 64 1.7 does, but it is very experimental. And none of the leaks of PJ64 1.7 have the version of the plugin that supports it at all (heads up to you pirates!).

Rice Video is definitely not the best graphics plugin for hi-def or accuracy, but it IS the best for texturing.

So there you have it. Glide64 should be used for the most accurate emulation. Jabo's should be used for the smoothest and cleanest graphical emulation. And Rice's should be used for the retexturing.

mudlord

Banned
Glide64, however, does not support texture hacks, and it's not very good at doing hi-def. Again, Glide64 is more towards being exactly like the N64, not better than it.

Glide64 now supports Rice-format hires textures through GlideHQ now. Its worth a look, as it allows for extra filters, as well as custom textures.

OP
V

Vanit

Ah, well as long as its bound to the same formatting rules of Rice's thats no problem. Guess I'll see if I feel up to it after exams are over.

I'm thinking I'll probably pickup my Evangelion64 translation if GlideHQ will read the textures, because Rice's plugin refused to load them and upon contacting Rice he said that it wasn't supported. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
GlideHQ also supports some non-Rice features in texture format, though they are optional and GlideHQ has full compability with Rice textures.

OP
V

Vanit

I tried out GlideHQ and I must say I'm disappointed. I haven't tested it with Evangelion yet, but when I loaded my Sin and Punishment pack half the textures didn't tile correctly, yet they did when using Rice's plugin. This really concerns me because people who've never seen my pack before might be introduced to hi-res packs through GlideHQ, see our packs and think they're crappy because they weren't made right. =/

mudlord

Banned
tried out GlideHQ and I must say I'm disappointed. I haven't tested it with Evangelion yet, but when I loaded my Sin and Punishment pack half the textures didn't tile correctly, yet they did when using Rice's plugin. This really concerns me because people who've never seen my pack before might be introduced to hi-res packs through GlideHQ, see our packs and think they're crappy because they weren't made right. =/

Currently, koolsmoky needs feedback on which games are working and which games isn't as to improve things, and then there won't be issues due to percieved quality of texture packs by outsiders. Thats the main thing, as currently, GlideHQ is still a WIP.