What's new

new pc for later on when i got da money

sheik124

Emutalk Member
hmm, wait till nForce 4 boards come out, having future compatibility is always better. AGP has been replaced, PCI-E is where its at, it may not be any better now, but it is where the future of gfx cards as well as other add-in cards is going

Eagle

aka Alshain
sheik124 said:
hmm, wait till nForce 4 boards come out, having future compatibility is always better. AGP has been replaced, PCI-E is where its at, it may not be any better now, but it is where the future of gfx cards as well as other add-in cards is going

You say that but the more I read about PCI-E the more it reminds me of Rambus. I think PCI-E is going to fail, but then again I've made such predictions and been proven wrong.

Clements

PCI-Express isn't going to fail since all the new pre-built Intel PCs that the average consumer will buy at PC retailers come with PCI-Express graphics now (if they don't have onboard that is). Even Dells can come with X300 SEs and such. You could wait for nForce4, but then again you have to buy at some time! :p

Stezo2k

S-2K
Clements said:
PCI-Express isn't going to fail since all the new pre-built Intel PCs that the average consumer will buy at PC retailers come with PCI-Express graphics now

Yeah, but don't forget RAMBUS was supported by Intel, and I think it was inlcuded in pre-built systems too....

To be honest, I do think it may succeed, I can't see why it shouldn't

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
You cannot apply rambus' failure to graphics, rambus may have failed but Graphics are a very important aspect of PC's now-adays, it will get to a point where AGP is not fast enough to run the games that developers want to show off their fancy new graphics off.

This is why I believe PCI Express will take off. Also, no offence but... why should I care about a PC you are going to buy in the future? its not like you're asking for advice or anything, just seems like you want to show off... anyone can do this... i'm not that easily impressed ;)

When I have the money, I intend to build a gold plated swimming pool shaped like a dolphin, with my own female syncronized swimmer set...

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
ScottJC said:
You cannot apply rambus' failure to graphics, rambus may have failed but Graphics are a very important aspect of PC's now-adays, it will get to a point where AGP is not fast enough to run the games that developers want to show off their fancy new graphics off.

Graphics or not has nothing to do with it. I believe PCI-E is proprietary, so was Rambus. Proprietary designs almost always fail due to the high cost. Its like a monopoly on the design and thus they have no competitors. Rambus failed because someone owned it and you had to pay a fortune to use it.

Clements

But PCI-Express is neither proprietary (both AMD and Intel boards now use it) nor more expensive than AGP. Also, both nVidia and especially ATi are now readily releasing PCI-Express graphics. My uncle bought a pre-built system with PCI-Express recently.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Clements said:
But PCI-Express is neither proprietary (both AMD and Intel boards now use it) nor more expensive than AGP. Also, both nVidia and especially ATi are now readily releasing PCI-Express graphics. My uncle bought a pre-built system with PCI-Express recently.

The fact that AMD, Intel, ATI and Nvidia are using it doesn't mean its not proprietary, they can buy rights to use it. Being proprietary doesn't mean it is going to cost a fortune either. Usually it does, but sometimes the companies that created it are smart enough not to overcharge. If thats the case then it may succeed.

okstorms

Eagle said:
The fact that AMD, Intel, ATI and Nvidia are using it doesn't mean its not proprietary, they can buy rights to use it. Being proprietary doesn't mean it is going to cost a fortune either. Usually it does, but sometimes the companies that created it are smart enough not to overcharge. If thats the case then it may succeed.

PCI Express like PCI and AGP before it was designed by Intel, and will be released in the same fashion so I don't see anymore trouble in the future for PCI-E then AGP had in it's hayday.

Knuckles

it's not like the crap that are CNR and AMR slots. I'm prolly sure it will remplace the AGP, as the PCI remplaced the ISA and the AGP the PCI video cards. CNR and AMRs were "added" things , started by IBM, not remplacement of other ones. Rambus was "another" type of ram , it wasn't remplacing other ram types and actually, only INTEL used it. For the PCI-E , since every companies are using it , form both chipset and video cards sides, it won't go away. and also, the PCI-E is MUCH MORE performant and doesn't really cost a lot more. why remove smth that is way faster? (for the RIMM, it was too expensive so, that's mainly why)

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
PCIe will probably be the main graphics port for the next few years. It's currently trickling into retail OEM PC's and a lot of announced motherboards are going to be PCIe from both Intel and AMd. PCIe doesn't only allow higher bandwidth across the connnection but also is able to supply more power to the ever growing power needs of video cards. I don't think AGP8x is going to be gone anytime soon though. It's still the most widely used graphics port and it's going to take some time for PCIe to saturate the market. Much like the move from PCI to AGP.